Silver Ferns squad 2022/23

Silver Ferns squad 2022/232022-08-24T08:47:42+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Dunn should look at giving SSN a go. Not too sure which team would take/need her. But could see her making a good combination with Cardwell at Tbirds.

Maryann
        Participant

Jane Watson has just had a wee tidy up surgery on the ankle she had the surgery on before she became pregnant. A small recovery period required before she begins running post pregnancy.

WeWood
          Participant

In her interview Fuller said Watson would be available toward the back-end of the Constellation Cup and Fast5.

No mention of timelines re Burger but I seem to recall when her injury/surgery was announced it was confirmed she would be working toward ANZP 2023.

Saunders indicated to Taurua she wants to try gain selection for the NWC side, so hasn’t retired. Fuller commented on her supreme fitness, so seems will be given every opportunity to gain selection.

When asked about Mes dropping to the Development Squad, was matter of fact when she said Mes wasn’t actually a apart of the 2021/22 squad but forced her way into the CWG side based on her Magic form. Had been given feedback/areas to work on, so not all is lost.

WeWood
            Participant

In her interview Fuller said Watson would be available toward the back-end of the Constellation Cup and Fast5.

No mention of timelines re Burger but I seem to recall when her injury/surgery was announced it was confirmed she would be working toward ANZP 2023.

Saunders indicated to Taurua she wants to try gain selection for the NWC side, so hasn’t retired. Fuller commented on her supreme fitness, so seems will be given every opportunity to gain selection.

When asked about Mes dropping to the Development Squad, was matter of fact when she said Mes wasn’t actually a apart of the 2021/22 squad but forced her way into the CWG side based on her Magic form. Had been given feedback/areas to work on, so not all is lost.

mcleod
              Participant

Still surprised Crampton got the rest of the year off. She has hardly been in very good form.
                Guess its a chance for a younger player to shine at WA, because both Crampton and Saunders didn’t at Com Games.
                Shooting wise Maia needs to find form, other wise might drop down the pecking order quick.

I’m more interested in who is going to play fast 5.

Maryann
                Participant

Maybe the idea with Crampton is that the break will give her time to refresh and come back firing.
                  As far as Saunders goes there would be nothing worse imo than having to run out on court if you weren’t feeling great, not sure if she was aware of the pregnancy or not but given her photo I would expect so. It will be nice to see a new group of middies out there and looking forward to Temu getting on court.

Netballfan1
                  Participant

I’m happy for crampton that she’s having a break, burnout is no joke so I hope she comes back refreshed!

minkie
                    Participant

Find it all very strange
                      This statement
                      ‘Mes wasn’t actually a apart of the 2021/22 squad but forced her way into the CWG side based on her Magic form’
                      Firstly Bailey didn’t force her way into anything, no player does. Ummm coaches and selectors ‘chose’. If ‘forcing her way in’ why the heck didnt they ‘force’ Tianna? As for the Magic season, it was crap until the last few games.
                      ‘Had been given feedback/areas to work on, so not all is lost’.
                      Ummm maybe I missed something big but Bayes last game (3rd too last Ferns game) was great at WA/GS. All of you commented how excellent it was.
                      So damned if I know what’s going on.
                      All is lost, other young players coming through the ranks, there time to shine. I just don’t understand Noel’s thinking at all.
                      Here’s hoping Meels and Bayes have a fantastic Magic season. End of :yes:

WeWood
                      Participant

Based on Taurua’s comments about the CWG side when it was announced @minkie Bailey ticked all her boxes – fitness (never an issue of course), then volume of shots, followed by accuracy. A quick scan of her stats on the ANZP website shows the vast improvement Bailey made in that space this year:

2022: 428 attempts @ 77% accuracy
                        2021: 105 attempts @ 59% accuracy
                        2020: Didn’t play
                        2019: 330 attempts @ 73% accuracy
                        2018: 438 attempts @ 80% accuracy
                        2017: 549 attempts @ 86% accuracy

Re forcing her way into the CWG side – absolutely Bailey did. Just like 2019, she wasn’t an ‘incumbent’ shooter – i.e been in the side for their most recent series and in the case of 2021/22 that was to get her knees right. Prior to CWG the last time she was in the Ferns was for Constellation Cup last year wasn’t it?

On the work-ons, I’d hazard a guess it will be to focus on her volume and accuracy again (just like the Magic season) – hence the summation that all is not lost. Bailey could very well be in the 12 in Cape Town and ‘force’ herself back into the team, from outside the main squad once again..

I’m really hoping the stars align she gets a full ANZP season at GS, with a fit Ekenasio in front of her and good service from her middies. I think Bailey is most potent under the hoop. Yes she can feed, yes she is a great defensive attacker but no one can match her on the take or the rebound.

If she returned volume and accuracy stats like 2017 in 2023 I’d pick her for NWC as our second GS. No hesitation.

minkie
                        Participant

Thanks Wewood
                          I’d rather she just focused on Magic and her other career.
                          Nothing worse than seeing her in the black dress and not playing, when a shake up was what was needed in the 2nd to last, I think, Ferns game.

TB
                          Participant

Ye I would not count Bailey Mes out. She always seems to do the right things, to make it to pinnacle events.
                            I think if she puts in a strong season with Ekenasio, that could give her the edge.

I haven’t always been the biggest fan of Gina Crampton. Majority of the times I’m quite critical. However I do feel she’ll be big shoes to fill. We have great cover in the WA position, but we definitely need them to be steady and consistent.

mcleod
                            Participant

Maybe Gina needs timeout, as IMO being captain didn’t suit her. I full expect Ekenasio to be captain again. I read she was playing club game in Wellington today, and looked extremely fit.?

RMB
                              Participant

@mcleod im sure i saw someone that Captaincy is based on the team, management and Netball NZ team voting them in

thunder123
                                Participant

Considering the JAM series is in 19 days, when do we think the side will get announced?
                                  Well they have trials??

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top