2020 Taini Jamison Trophy – New Zealand v England (Oct-Nov)

2020 Taini Jamison Trophy – New Zealand v England (Oct-Nov)2020-09-28T20:18:36+10:00
Viewing 3 posts - 256 through 258 (of 258 total)
  • Author
    Participant

England supporters should be absolutely wrapt with their performance! I love watching Quashie – has the makings of a classic GK in that she reads the play well and has deft footwork. Also only two penalties in the last game! I think she’s the type of GK that matches up well against a player like Wilson, so unsure how she would go against Nweke or Mes. The English shooters are all so calm and accurate, which has been a weakness for them until the Harten/Housby combination. But the midcourt is where they excelled, with Malcolm feeding excellently but also applying amazing defensive pressure upcourt meaning the Ferns were often more hesitant on transition ball than their own centre passes. Seems to be a well coached side and you can’t automatically assume some SSN players will regain their starting spots. Also big ups to the quality of the England system and the VSL.

Like a previous poster said, this series was about the Ferns adjusting to body marking which they’re unused to in the ANZP. That said, it was clear after the first game that speed is the best way to combat this, and the Ferns only did this in the last game. Good to finally get there I guess! Amazing how the game opened up for the Ferns in the third game when DNT instructed attackers to swing the ball across the goal circle to open up the space. Wilson has cemented herself as the starting GS, mostly shooting on the first catch in the circle, and her shot chart in insane. I think Kersten has snatched the starting C bib, while Jury has cemented her place in the side. It’s clear GD will be a problem area for the next few months. Other than that, it’s good to see the improvement each game and hopefully good learning for the next Constellation Cup.

Some shooting stats from the Taini Jamison Trophy…

NZ’s shooting % was consistently 3-4% above England’s.

1st test: 87.9-84.9
          2nd test: 91.5-88.7
          3rd test: 92.5-88.7

And speaking of being consistent, England’s stats:

1st test: 45/53
          2nd test: 47/53
          3rd test: 47/53

Viewing 3 posts - 256 through 258 (of 258 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Go to Top