2020 Taini Jamison Trophy – New Zealand v England (Oct-Nov)

2020 Taini Jamison Trophy – New Zealand v England (Oct-Nov)2020-09-28T20:18:36+10:00

Forums International 2020 Taini Jamison Trophy – New Zealand v England (Oct-Nov)

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 258 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I really want England to win a quarter! And the way they started in attack was brilliant. VERY quick release, nice pace on the pass, width, reseting to middle or transverse line, keeps the NZ zone moving a lot, and then it opens at the post.

Also looks now like England are coming out to disrupt NZ attack more.

Both teams overcook passes heading into the goal third. 47-37 after 2:30 in Q4

A great deflection from Watson over Fisher, and Wilson gets the goal. Wilson is very versatile in her movements and her approach back into the circle, and she nails a long shot. Then she screens Williams away the next play and Ekenasio holds off Quashi.

50-38 to NZ and England lose possession via held ball, thanks to marking of Watson and Fitzpatrick, and Ekensasio nails it sweetly.

Winders back on at WD for NZ.

Andrew Kennedy
    Participant

England reshuffle the line, now Fisher, Corbin, Drakeford-Lewis, Marshall, Clarke, Williams, Quashi

Souness at WA for NZ, Crampton played 53 minutes and was quite sharp.

We haven’t seen many shooter-to-shooter passing from NZ – usually they get the ball in fair shooting distance and both Wilson and Ekenasio are confident to do mid or slightly long range shots.

8-5 this Q to NZ with 5 mins to go.

Andrew Kennedy
    Participant

Almost straight away Corbin makes a silly passing choice and they lose the ball. She’s not putting a good case for a lot of minutes in upcoming games. A little later she does manage a few really sizzling passes.

Big cheers as Faulkner debuts for Silver Ferns! She is SF #176, and this is her home court.

Watson gives Fitzpatrick a lift, and then Watson also jumps for the double defence over Fisher, but Fisher gets it. Fisher is not what I’d call “deadly” accurate, she needs to be icy to truly dominate. Her split is one of the best timed, longest, and quickest I’ve seen ever, like Kumwenda but taller.

I’m guessing Maia Wilson for MVP. She is beautiful! Faulkner misses her first and only shot.

Andrew Kennedy
    Participant

58-45 to Kiwis, they won each quarter. England changed every position except GD and GK. Since they brought 16 players, at least 5 of them must be defenders so while they’d love to win, they also need to find a way to give others experience. NZ changed all three midcourt positions, and GA right at the end.

In addition to Faulkner for NZ, Imogen Alison debuted for England.

Burger has an icepack and strapping on her calf, but it doesn’t look that bad.

I think the highlight of the night was the the pairing of Wilson and Ekenasio, their variety, rotation, and accuracy were amazing. Ferns were on top all across the court, they probably hoped for a more sizzling and strong victory.

Andrew Kennedy
    Participant

NZ 58/66 at 88% Eng 45/52 at 87%

Rebounds 6-4 to NZ
    Intercepts 7-5 to NZ
    Penalties 59-33 to Eng, a real problem
    Turnovers 25-21 to Eng, NZ wouldn’t be happy with that.

JR
    Participant

Wilson less than 90%, Ekanasio shot a high number (for a GA) and percentage over 90% and a ton of work on Feeds and Goal assists and Centre Pass Receives. Fitzpatrick and Watson were both great to watch.

Ian Harkin

Full time: NZ 58-45

Wilson 34/39 (87%)
    Ekenasio 24/26 (92%)
    Falkner 0/1 (0%)
    NZ: 88%

Fisher 18/22 (82%)
    Cardwell 15/17 (88%)
    Corbin 7/9 (78%)
    Drakeford-Lewis 5/5 (100%)
    ENG: 85%

Assists: Crampton 21
    Gains: Fitzpatrick 7

MVP: Fitzpatrick

Andrew Kennedy
    Participant

MVP is Sulu Fitzpatrick, GK for Silver Ferns. It’s her first match for about 2 years, and actually only her 4th test cap. I think that’s because of injury, babies, and drops in form and/or so many damn good Kiwi defenders!

Sulu doesn’t get interviewed very much, she’s got a really pleasing manner. She said the Ferns are focusing on EVOLUTION, and a PURE performance.

Apparently Noelene Taurua told Fitzpatrick at one point that she was coming out TOO MUCH! Love it!

Andrew Kennedy
    Participant

JR said “Wilson less than 90%, Ekanasio shot a high number (for a GA) and percentage over 90% and a ton of work on Feeds and Goal assists and Centre Pass Receives. Fitzpatrick and Watson were both great to watch.”

Yes I totally agree, Ekenasio was brilliant. Those are almost precisely the stats she had in the Grand Final of the NWC last year! She is very clever in all aspects of play and so darn consistent!

JR
    Participant

I love hearing Sulu being interviewed. There was at least one fabulous one during the ANZ Premiership season. She’s delightful.

NZChampion
    Participant

That was a very good game despite the score. England should be very proud of their players. Majority did very well. The shooters were sinking some beautiful long bombs comfortably. Lewis did well working the ball in, shot well also. Quashi and Williams were great. I really enjoyed watching them get stuck in. Guthrie… How many times did she hit the floor? I thought she looked b trying again in WD.

Saunders and Kersten didn’t impress me in C. Everyone else in he midcourt were okayish. Both shooting and defence was strong. Sulu seemed to struggle a bit more against Fisher. But overall they got the job done. I was missing Poi the whole time. Saunders is back in the dog box for me and so is Kersten.

Great game, lots to improve for both sides. I’m looking forward to Fridays game.

JR
    Participant

I reckon Ekenasio is the best player in the world at the moment. So great to be able to see her play so often – thanks https://netballnz.streamamg.com/ for allowing us to watch her, and all the other NZ players, in the ANZP comp, the Cadbury series and now this.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by JR.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by JR.
    Andrew Kennedy
    Participant

The commentary last week and today includes Storm Purvis. I don’t think she actually says anything particularly good in terms of analysis. In contrast, Courtney Tairi (originally in Aus, then played for NZ) is doing the specific analysis at half and full time, complete with slow mo replays and arrows pointing everywhere, and it’s actually very good! It’s like Tamsin Greenway does, not quite as deep, but a nice inclusion.

FYI Ama Agbeze is also there, not saying very much. I wonder if she’s come with the team and quarantined specifically as a commentator, but perhaps also as a mentor? Or assistant coach??

NZChampion
    Participant

Oh and poor Falkner on a dreadful debut. Let’s sweep that one under the carpet lol.

Andrew Kennedy
    Participant

JR said “I reckon Ekenasio is the best player in the world at the moment. ”

You may well be right. She got number 2 in the Netball Scoop votes from 2019 behind Pretorius, and Karla didn’t have the best season in 2020. However Fowler could well come in at number 1, plus many other amazing athletes.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 258 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums International 2020 Taini Jamison Trophy – New Zealand v England (Oct-Nov)