Silver Ferns trialists

Silver Ferns trialists2022-06-15T08:37:43+10:00

Forums New Zealand Silver Ferns trialists

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 214 total)
  • Author
    Participant

The big questions in terms of selection for me is whether Noeline is going with experience or blood some fresh talent with the look for the future.

I would happily replace the likes of Saunders and Kersten (even Crampton) with MRB and Gordon. No respect to the older players, but how will the young agin experience for WC and the next cycle.

steelsupporter84
    Participant

That player would have to be Grace. It’s a concern that it’s the shooters missing the cut as our stocks in that department especially at GA are not the greatest as it is.

steelsupporter84
    Participant

Are they naming the NZ A side as well? As it would be slightly unsettling if when they play each other in the Cadbury series and NZ A beat them. As that team will be bloody good I would think and will be made up of younger players that Noles will be to scared to take to the games.

WeWood
    Participant

Agree with @nanator re fresh blood. I think our midcourt has regressed the last couple series and if that entire ‘older’ foursome gets picked for CWG I’ll be very intrigued to see how they match up against Gordon, Heffernan, MRB and Poi (assuming they all make NZA) in the Cadbury Series because I think the youngies will run rings.

Fitness wise, who has been hard done by previously with the fitness standards? Possibly Dunn. Midcourt wise I don’t imagine anyone would have failed the standards? Defensively I think being sent home from a Ferns camp previously is part of Kelly Jury’s making in recent times.

Snowpea
    Participant

For me, our fitness standards set us up for success. It blows my mind that people STILL have a bug bear about players having to reach a standard to play for the ferns. OUR NATIONAL SIDE. The yo-yo benchmarks have been set in each third of the court and are likely based on research/data collection (averaging how much a position stops/starts in a game; how long they run for in a competitive 60 min match etc etc). They were not pulled out of thin air.

The mind and body are one unit. When the body is beginning to fatigue, the mind has already started making short cuts in decision making. The synergy of muscles firing to leap or change direction is more likely to fail and there is an increased risk of injury. In addition, better fitness tends to correspond with less tissue injury and faster recovery times.

The CWG is a tournament and players will be required to back up game after game. In the final stretch the “starting seven” will play Thursday, Saturday and Sunday matches against the best in competition. If a player is already carrying fatigue and muscle soreness from the previous matches then we will see it in their movement, decision making and game play. Look at the Stars who were completely out of spark in the ANZ final and on the back of 9 matches in 4 weeks, 7 in 20 days. (Plus a crazy 9am to 1pm training the day before the final!).

Adding to this is the fact that these standards have PROVEN themselves. We literally WON the last NWC. Potentially the most competitive NWC in history. We looked imposing. We knew we had the fitness to play out all games at high intensity. But ultimately, our high fitness levels meant we were able to keep our heads in the game and compete. We were able to keep making quick, percentage play decisions when the going was exceptionally competitive.

Noels will be taking a younger playing group that is lacking test caps at top echelon events. Meaning it is even more imperative that fitness is a gimme. That way, players need only worry about maintaining focus and staying in the contest at high intensity – likely well passed where they’ve had to concentrate before.

There is so much more to be said about physical fitness as a demonstration of mental fortitude. They are indistinguishable from one another. We need both to win.

Nate
    Participant

I disagree that fitness won the last NWC, i think the amazing skill level of Kopua, Rore, Langman, Folau, Ekenasio and Watson won it. Lets be fair they were all amazing netballers, the likes im not sure NZ or any country will see again for a long while.

Maryann
    Participant

I have to agree with Snowpea on this. NWC saw supremely fit players – I remember looking at Ekenasio at the time and thinking ‘wow, look at your physique’, she was lean, well muscled up and literally bouncing out of her skin. If players don’t start the tournament like that then they are no use come the crunch moments. In a tournament like CG other squad members can’t carry a player who isn’t able to last the distance and still be running.

Waylay
    Participant

Agree Snowpea. People talk as if these fitness standards are unreachable. A 16/17 yo-yo is not difficult for an athlete, particularly when netball is your job. Yes covid can have lasting impacts on aerobic capacity but all players should be well above this mark in the first place.

TB
    Participant

I agree with @Snowpea too!
    Kopua was probably at her fittest in her whole career.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by TB.
    mcleod
    Participant

It’s a shame the games are not on say September, Jane Watson would be ready by then, she looks amazing for what post 3 weeks birth.

Nesian
    Participant

@Snowpea what have the fitness standards done for us since then. Failures against England at home and the Quad series? Tell me how running for a 20 meter sprint then resting for 5 meters repeatedly emulates what a GS or GK does on court? I can tell you ex-silver fern coaches who don’t agree with these standards. Also tell why no other nation seems to be adhering to these fitness standards as much as we are, Australia, Jamaica obviously they aren’t.

It’s easy to say the Stars suffered from fitness issues but the players and coaches themselves said they were just fine coming off the back of seven consecutive wins. The pressure just got to them in my opinion.

Old heads more than fitness won us the WC, you can’t replace experience in high pressure situations. If it were simply a case of fitness over skills then surely every country in the world would put fitness first but they don’t, it’s a combination.

Fitness yes, but I’d take skill set over fitness every time.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by Nesian.
    RMB
    Participant

@mcleod can confirm Jane does look amazing, I went to the tactix awards and she was stunning. We also noted she wasn’t wearing a bra, apparently not that common when you’ve just had a baby :whistle:
    Also asked her could she make it for com games, she just laughed, I was serious!

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by RMB.
    greenasgxld
    Participant

I agree with Snowpea on this. The standards aren’t unrealistic or unreachable for them. And for a tournament like this, fitness and conditioning is important.

mcleod
    Participant

3 WAs, 1 WD/C
    1 GS, 3 GA/GA
    4 defenders

Baller
    Participant

This the SF 12 Mcleod?

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 214 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums New Zealand Silver Ferns trialists