Silver Ferns trialists

Silver Ferns trialists2022-06-15T08:37:43+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 214 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Agree with you wholeheartedly Nesian re fitness being over emphasised in the Taurua criteria. I’m concerned in particular about shooters who will be selected based on fitness not skill and mental toughness at crunch times. These are players whom we already know have had mental weaknesses at important times in games. I’m not talking about their performance in regular season games where they shoot quite well when not under pressure. These are also shooters who have regularly shot airballs and not even hit the ring in regular season games. To me these are people who lack the mental toughness to take out championship games.

PICASSO123
      Participant

I think basing everything on fitness is not a good measure towards the Ferbs selection. I’m just curious how would someone with a body type like Cardwell or Thwaites fair under Tauruas eyes. Cardwell is not the fittest but she still takes those crucial shots during pressured moments and even gets intercepts when needed. She definitely got the skill but had she been a Kiwi, would Taurua actually take her? Maybe not due to her fitness? These are things I question will all this fitness requirements. Im pretty sure Maia had to lose all that weight over the yrs to achieve the fitness test and I can guarantee it wasn’t something that easy considering her body type. Does the fitness test go that far?

Just really curious….?

nanator
        Participant

I definitely agree fitness should be a basic threshold. This is national level sports and the girls from Aus would be running circles around us otherwise.

I also think some of the players from NYWC 2017 have shown in the past they can step up and would like to see them take the baton. It’s a real pity the youth cup in 21 was cancelled.

Stoj
          Participant

As an interested Aussie, can I just say that I think everyone is jumping the gun a little about Taurua and the potential of the SF ferns team. NZ are the reigning world champs and didn’t perform badly at Quad series. Need I remind you of the magic that she created at the lightning in SSN? 3 straight GF appearances is not an easy feat! And, has not been replicated by any coach in recent memory, to my knowledge.

She may be focusing on fitness standards publicly, but she’s a brilliant tactician. She’s just being smart about the publicity around that side of the team.

nanator
            Participant

I don’t know about Cardwell, but Caity Thwaites is a very fit player. She performed well in fitness tests and had the ability to run out games at GA even in the later end of her career (and win a premiership!)

mcleod
              Participant

11am Monday NZ time team will be announced, so I understand.
                The media said the other day, “what is expected to be a young team”.
                But I actually think half the players will be 30+.

Nate
                Participant

Body shape and size doesnt always equate to fitness level. Look at Jury, tall and lanky was missing the required fitness standards before. We all know of Maias unhealthy struggles with body image that was brought on with these ‘fitness’ criterias.

Yes NZ are the reigning WC but totally different team since then.

Monday cant come fast enough for this announcement imo hahaha

mcleod
                  Participant

Ferns are also the Con Cup champions, but I think only 2 of the 7, that played game 4 will actually be going to the Com Games. Hopefully my source is totally wrong but!!!

TB
                    Participant

TBH I’m not worried about our shooting and defence. My biggest concern is who she’ll pick for that midcourt.
                      If the four is Crampton, Saunders, Winders and Kersten. I’d say we will be looking at finishing 3/4th.

Ekenasio I’m hoping will make the cut. But if she doesn’t I do feel Metuarau, Bailey Mes or TPSR can stand up to the plate. We are lucky we have 3 dominant shooters to choose from (Nweke Dunn and Wilson).

Maryann
                      Participant

Game 4 constellation cup
                        Poi
                        Wilson
                        Ekenasio
                        Winders
                        Saunders/Crampton
                        Fitzpatrick/Burger
                        Watson

hmmmm

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Maryann.
                        steelsupporter84
                        Participant

Interesting 12 @Mcleod I hope you are wrong lol

3 WA that would have to be Gina, Shannon and I’d doubt they would take Peta so Whitney must be the other. That seems a very odd combo.

WD/C would have to be Sam or Claire. If they don’t take Gordon I think they are making a huge mistake.

GS Mia and the GA’s TP, Tiana, Mes?

Defenders Jury, sulu, Phoenix and Kristina? I would love to see Temu or Burley but I doubt they would take them.

Maryann
                          Participant

Fitzpatrick posted on insta yesterday a clip of her knees, both skinned, which happened when she dived for the line trying to get inside the time.

Maryann
                            Participant

3 WAs, 1 WD/C
                              1 GS, 3 GA/GA
                              4 defenders

okay – this is the only way I can get only 2 of Game 4, Constellation 7
                              3WA Crampton, Souness, Saunders
                              1 WD/C Heffernan
                              ! GS Nweke
                              3 GA/GA assuming it is supposed to be GS/GA Wilson, Mes, TPSR
                              4 Defenders Johnson as WD cover required, Jury, Temu, Karaka

Nate
                              Participant

Kersten as the wd/c possibly? ?

Baller
                                Participant

Based on 3 WAs (assumption) Crampton, Saunders and Souness I wonder who would play C. I see fit, fast and vision when play is on.

Read somewhere else it wasn’t a Mystics attacking end. I have no reliable source so totally making assumptions.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 214 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top