Silver Ferns trialists

Silver Ferns trialists2022-06-15T08:37:43+10:00

Forums New Zealand Silver Ferns trialists

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 214 total)
  • Author
    Participant

@Nate there were some Pulse players there so I’d expect at least a couple to be named in the team but out of the six that were named for the trials not all were able to trial due to sickness.

Whoever is named, no matter how much it annoys us we just have to support the team and I’m sure they will give it their all.

Nate
    Participant

Southby was under contract too and a lot of other coaches get cut early on.

Noels performances amd selections havent been great of late either. But i dont see NNZ cutter her early if she says hey were aiming at the NWC….. maybe

I know with the Pulse players, at least 4 of them wouldve been in my ferns squad.

Nate
    Participant

@Nesian ah okay about Pulse, but yeah agreed its not the players selected fault at all and will give it theyre all. Id hate to see what happened with Rore in tears in that infamous interview from JMC about proud in the black dress, that was hard to watch.

RMB
    Participant

@nate Rore (she was Grant the ) was hard to watch in 2018 & it seems to be popping up again discreetly through the press… hope Crampton not gonna end up in tears!

End of the day they will give it their best, it should be an honour to represent your country in the com games

TB
    Participant

I think fitness standards are very important. You need to have fit and “healthy” players, to play in these tournaments.

This could be a bad example to use.
    If we look back to the 2014 CWGs team. From memory, we had a few players who got injured (or were carrying injuries). A few of them were shooters. This was the team IVD did not make. If they had fitness standards for this team, she would have made it and probably Latu to miss out. Interesting Latu was injured for most of that tournament.
    The Ferns had enough in the tank to beat England and make the GF. However we got slaughtered in that final. IMO we didn’t have fit enough players to play out a full tournament.

If DNT lowers her standards now, I feel
    The opposition will see this as a win and our players will be happy to stay where they are (complacent).

I may be wrong in saying this, but I feel the fitness level you need to play in the ANZP, is a lot lower than what you’d need for SSN. Luckily only 7 players take the court 😂

Nate
    Participant

Yep fitness is important but shouldnt be the final exclamation point in if you get in or not. Im pretty sure that lately the SF have been losing the 2nd half of matches and looked sluggish, whereas they used to start slow then steamroll the 2nd half and not look tired so maybe a different look at the fitness component. You could have a super fit player that was running all over the court but doing jack all?

Surely as a pro athlete youd want to be at peak fitness anyway, it comes down to individual want too.

Injuries still happen to really fit players.

Kwkiwi
    Participant

Appears to be an over emphasis on fitness criteria to make the Ferns. Surely a goal shooter should have a differing fitness standard to meet compared to a mid court player. You’d hope a sensible approach would be taken towards players who have performed consistently well over the season. Also it needs to be taken into account that some shooters have shot well during the regular season but do not do well under pressure, when selecting which shooters to take.

If the other countries have not run trials then that would just show that nz is the only country placing a large emphasis on fitness over form during the season.

Nate
    Participant

Each third has its own fitness standards or yoyo test aims.

A shooters is lower than a midcourter.

TB
    Participant

You have to ask, when did we get so slack on fitness that the head coach had to impose fitness standards?

The thought of “is a SF fit enough to be qualified to play” would have never entered my mind. I started getting into netball in the late 90s, and have followed all the way through. I don’t ever remember questioning any player on their fitness.

I mean Vili Davu dropped so much weight when she was in her prime. And IVD spoke a lot about fitness programs etc. I always thought it was just expected that you were to be super fit/strong 🤷‍♂️

If DNT thinks we have a fitness problem (imposing standards IMO is saying we have a problem) – then I’m going to believe her!

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by TB.
    mcleod
    Participant

What annoys me is if the sick players are not considered for ferns, then that’s shameful. Anyway I’m going to most likely be very disappointed with the team. I didn’t watch any games of the January quad series, protested due to the selection of certain players, ones that got a free ticket, when Cleary they were not close to being good enough.

Ian Harkin
    steelsupporter84
    Participant

I agree with the fitness standards fully, you need to able to run out full games especially at the business end of a tournament. What does bother me is if the sick players haven’t made the team because of sickness. Surely those players would have made the fitness standards before trials. Cutting those players because of that doesn’t make sense you’d have to look at there ANZ season surely wouldn’t you?

I feel like this team needs to have an eye for the future and at least come into a tournament with the surprise factor. But I think it will be a team of players she’s had before especially in the midcourt that hasn’t worked which isn’t a good thing in my opinion.

Kwkiwi
    Participant

I wonder why so long to wait for the Si,ver ferns team announcement? Seems an inordinate amount of time to wait till next Monday. Aren’t all the other teams announced. I thought Taurua was announcing the team last Wednesday. It’s not like any of those not making the fitness standard were going to make after a week of trials.

nakiboy80
    Participant

While I do agree with the fitness standards to a degree, I feel like Taurua has backed herself into a corner with the constant reference to it in the media. Fitness is obviously crucial, but surely playing ability is more important. Will we end with the 4 fittest shooters, midcourters and defenders, but not the best with regards to ability and connections?

However, more concerning for me (if it is true) os that by being sick this past week rules you out of contention for the squad. If you have managed to play throughout the ANZ Premiership to a high standard then surely that speaks volumes as to your ability, and surely that’s more important than the 4 day camp (if you were too sick to make it).

I want to trust in Taurua, but some decision making leaves me baffled.

Nesian
    Participant

Fitness is always an interesting discussion. Whilst I agree that there needs to be a certain level of fitness I too don’t think it should be an absolute. If I look across the ANZ on the surface they all look very fit, there wouldn’t be one player I look at that I think is unfit. If anything the compacted season and multiple games per week that were played by some teams showed this. I know for some reason that TPSR gets the finger pointed at her but when she was at the Steel she was running 17+ for the yo-yo so she could easily make the standards and has since.

I much prefer fitness with emphasis on their performance over the season to dictate selection. This seems to be the criteria that every other national team is using but for some reason we aren’t. With us it’s fitness first above all else.

I remember being disappointed when Tuivaiti was missing out on selection due to fitness issues and yet she was a magical player to watch.

I also think they should have lowered the fitness standard to 2019 level which was 16. With the effects of Covid on these players it has no doubt had an effect. I know of one player who went from 17 pre-covid down to 16.3 post. If the level was moved to 16 then I think everyone would have passed the fitness test.

I know of at least one person who couldn’t trial due to sickness who would have had a very good chance of making the team but perhaps they will get called into the reserves. I guess we will find out on Monday.

If it is true about one player not making the fitness standards and still getting selected then I’ll be very pissed about that though.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 214 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums New Zealand Silver Ferns trialists