Silver Ferns WC squad predictions

Silver Ferns WC squad predictions2023-05-09T22:49:09+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 228 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Big a massive problem if Jane Watson isn’t at the WC, she is the best GK against the moving GS, WC is still 8 weeks away, I’m sure Jane will be fine.

TB
      Participant

I think with their training camp happening on the Sunshine Coast, which by all accounts is a very gruesome camp. Selectors will have to make sure all players are 100% fully fit.

I’m wondering if this is one of the reasons, or played a part in Bailey Mes retirement? She had spoken about her knees. She’s been apart of these SC training camps in the last two pinnacle events. I bet she knows if you’re body is not 100%, you’re going to get found out.

Baller
        Participant

Still clear as mud as to who should be selected for the reserve shooters. Personally I’m still leaning towards only taking 4 in the main squad.

silverferns1
          Participant

I agree with the 4 shooters in the 15. My four shooters: Grace, Ameliaranne, TPSR, Maia

BibsInTheAir
            Participant

I think Metuarau is likely going as a reserve. She has stood up in international competition before and slowly coming back to her best (dying moments of the elimination final aside). Malesala is the obvious bolter choice, but it seems unlikely given lack of training and experience with the wider SF squad.

I can’t see the selectors going with just three shooters in the twelve. Only having one sub is a dangerous game to play. What if one isn’t injured but has a sudden form drop off (Mes 22 Comm Games)? They can’t just be replaced then. Then you’re left with no real reserves and change ups for future games and strategies (Souness is never going to be a real GA option against Aus/England/Jamaica/SA or even Uganda/Malawi).

Also how much on balance do you gain from bringing five middies versus four? Strategically, it makes very little sense to bring extra mid-courters purely because it’s hard to separate them and they don’t deserve to miss out, when you have to forgo a shooter to do so. Put another way – I haven’t seen anyone make an argument as to why the ferns would *actually need* five mid-courters in the 12.

Who is going to join Crampton and Heffernan really is anyone’s guess. Could be any of Souness, Toeava, Gordon, Reulu-Buchanan and Sokolich-Beatson… My money is on Souness and Gordon but very tentatively.

mcleod
              Participant

Noel’s has done plenty of mind boggling decisions in the last couple of years, so taking just 3 shooters might be another one to add to the list.

Kerryn
                Participant

exactly @mcleod I guess we can speculate all we like, but at the end of the day – who knows what she’s going to do

mcleod
                  Participant

So it’s 6 days until naming day this is my final predictions.
                    Shooters. Ekenasio, Nweke, Selby-Ricket, Wilson (although I feel 3 shooters could happen but I’ll select 4)
                    Middies, Crampton, Heffernan, Souness, Michela S-B.
                    Defence. Watson, Jury, Karaka, Burger.

Reserves. Poi, Kersten, Burley (no shooter is good enough to get a gig)

TB
                    Participant

Shooters: Nweke Ekenasio Wilson TPSR
                      Midcourt: Crampton Heffernan Toeava Souness
                      Defence: Jury Watson Karaka Burger

Reserves: Heffernan Poi Sulu

*Georgia Heffernan for training purposes. Allows our defenders to match up against a speedy GA.

nakiboy80
                      Participant

Shooters: Nweke, Ekenasio, Wilson, TPSR
                        Midcourt: Crampton, Heffernan, MSB, Souness
                        Defence: Jury, Watson, Karaka, Burger

Reserves: Malesala, Gordon, Fitzpatrick

I have always had Gordon in my 12, but think that Heffernan will be at C more than WD in the big games, with Souness backing up, which allows MSB to play WD. I’ve picked Fitzpatrick as the reserve D for what she brings off the court, as well as it’s Watson that would most likely need replacing so they need a GK.

I think that Metuarau has gone right off the boil over the past few games, after hitting some good form, so I’d bring in Malesala. She made a few errors in the first half in the elimination final, but once again stepped up when the pressure was on.

Baller
                        Participant

Nweke, Ekenasio, Wilson, TPSR

Crampton, Souness, Heffernan, Gordon

Burger, Watson, Jury, Karaka

Reserves; MSB, Metuarau, Kersten

All capped, 7+ captains (or leadership experience) multiple positions especially in the midcourt.

nakiboy80
                          Participant

Yep, I wouldn’t be disappointed in that line-up either Baller

Baller
                            Participant

Some players who have had an amazing season are going to miss out by their whiskers.

silverferns1
                              Participant

my final predictions
                                shooters: Nweke, Ekenasio, Selby-Rickit
                                Middies : Crampton, Heffernan, Souness, Peta, Sokolich-Beatson
                                Defenders : Burger, Karaka, Jury, Watson

Reserves: Wilson, Kersten, Fitzpatrick

museboy
                                Participant

Nweke, Wilson, Ekenasio, Selby-Rickitt
                                  Crampton, Toeava, Heffernan, Gordon
                                  Watson, Burger, Karaka, Jury

Malesala, Poi, Sokolich-Beatson

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by museboy.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 228 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top