Scramble to lock in players for 2021 ANZ Premiership

Scramble to lock in players for 2021 ANZ Premiership2020-09-11T13:17:46+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 159 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Like I said, you guys quickly figure out rumours and one of you above have got it correct.

If I were guessing tiers for the Stars it would be:

Crampton, Wilson: 1
      Harrison, Falkner: 2
      MRB, Malesala: 3
      Mather, Hume: 4
      Maihi, Temu: 5

Malesala and Harrison might be around the other way, I’m not sure about that one as I think for Malesala to come home she would have to have got a decent offer as she seemed to be doing well in Oz.

Perhaps Temu and Mather around the other way too but I know Temu approached the Stars so perhaps she is Tier 5. Hume could even be Tier 3 being a NZ development player?

Funny thing is that if Steel had of got their shooter that they were targeting then Crampton would have stayed, if Steel got their shooter then Wilson would have moved. So the Stars can thank the Steel for not landing their intended player 🙂

thunder123
      Participant

Nesian, you’re kill in’ me ? :wacko:

TACTIXSUPPORTER
        Participant

I wonder if Harrison’s body will last the season. Didn’t she have on going calf issues before her ‘retirement ‘?

TACTIXSUPPORTER
          Participant

Wonder if Steel knew this was coming during the season?could explain why Gemma Hazeldine was brought in for a few games, to be tried in that midcourt position.

WeWood
            Participant

@Nesian, surely Stars are doing Malesala the favour with the contract? Don’t get me wrong, I rate her and would have her third in the shooting pecking order, but not as a Tier 3 player (despite her previous involvement with the Swifts).

Not particularly related but I really enjoyed Maihi’s cameos this year. Think she could challenge Temu for that other starting defensive role. Although a circle of Burley and Harrison would have been electric.

Re Steel/Etheredge, TS, am thinking it might be an opportunity to bring Shan and Heffernan forward, and perhaps promote Corkery into the starting seven? Or another player perhaps? Would be really good for Heffernan’s higher honour chances IMO.

TACTIXSUPPORTER
              Participant

Will be interesting over the next few weeks

Waylay
                Participant

Malesala was playing Premier League in Australia, she wasn’t even a training partner with the Swifts so I’d imagine she would have taken any contract that popped up, regardless of the tier.

I don’t think a Wilson/Malesala combination will work. I think they play too similar, although Wilson is incredibly mobile now so could probably play with anyone. But happy to eat my words.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Waylay.
                  Nesian
                  Participant

@WeWood, I don’t know, maybe I rate her too highly. I would have thought she could have almost walked into a contract back with the Magic over the last couple of years as their shooting hasn’t been very impressive over that time frame. $6k difference between Tier 3 and 4 so you could be right. I’m pretty sure Corkery wasn’t re-signed but I hope I’m wrong about that as I rate her hard nose playing style. I don’t think the Steel are having a very happy contracting time at the moment.

@Waylay
                    , good point. Malesala and Wilson are both like tanks, it would be horrible guarding those two but they do, as you say have very similar games.

I’ve heard Pulse have probably lost a Fern but gained another Fern so still likely to be 6 SF’s in their starting line up. Their new head coach is a former international coach also.

mcleod
                    Participant

Neisan is it T or E.

Netfan212
                      Participant

Was the Steel trying to lure Langman back to NZ to play for them?? And couldn’t sign her so Crampton made the move??

Someone said in the posts above that Crampton left because they couldn’t secure one of their 2 big gets??

mcleod
                        Participant

I’m guessing Dunn was a target, but stays at Pulse.

Baller
                          Participant

Is Lisa Alexander coaching the Pulse? Isn’t she available? But I’m guessing someone more local to Wellington. T is my guess.

Interesting, I was always expecting the Pulse to lose a couple of players. IMO you would have to be fairly certain about leaving an ‘in-form’ team.

Nesian
                            Participant

@Mcleod, T or E?

@Baller
                              , I too thought they would lose more players, how they are keeping them all happy, I haven’t a clue.

Maryann
                              Participant

Nesian – so if Wilson had gone to Steel then Crampton would have stayed? So because she hasn’t Crampton has moved?

moley02
                                Participant

Gail Parata, Id assume it would be her seeing she left the Scottish team last year.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 159 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top