SSN 2021 signings/rumours

SSN 2021 signings/rumours2020-09-21T09:26:33+10:00

Forums Australia SSN 2021 signings/rumours

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 768 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I think Stanton could really develop in a different style of play, a rotating circle could really elevate her game.

For me, Gooden just isn’t quite there yet so I wouldn’t be surprised to see Horjus contracted instead. But with Pitman and Glasgow both leavint Tbirds, in theory there is a spot for both of them. I wonder though, whether Cobden will choose to come back to Tbirds as she was just names as a TP this year after her ACL. If not (I half want her to stay in England and join Rhinos) then surely Tbirds have a lot of spaces in their wider squad, especially if Hodges goes somewhere else to get more court time.

I do hope the Squad’s remain at 12 – with all the calls for imports to be reduced (which fundamentally I disagree with but that’s another matter), surely retaining the extend match day teams of 12 is the best way to continue to develop Aussie talent.

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

KP, is Stanton to Pulse and Glasgow to Fever a guess or based on information? If true, that’s an interesting move.
    I agree that the roster numbers will be a big factor as well as the two point shot. I assume the two point shot will be stay because otherwise teams would be building rosters for the wrong game. Hopefully the game day 12 stays though, i think it’s a great way to allow exposure for younger players even if we can’t have teams of 12 just yet.

scratcher
    Participant

2020 would have been so very different with a 10 player game day roster. We may not have seen the likes of Horjus, Aryang, Dwan, Allen, Smith, or Fraser to name a few. What has been shown is that despite our teams having so many International players, there are some exciting Australian youngsters coming through. I am a bit concerned about our tall GS stocks however, most of those within the league are imports. I think we may see Donelle Wallam enter the stage soon, though she is not so young. Plenty of people do not regard ALJ as a defender, but we should remember that she was always a tall holding shooter till Netball Australia tried to change her as they felt Emma Ryde was a better fit. I think Lighting, or anyone should switch her back.

aqua301
    Participant

I don’t understand the hype over Glasgow ESPECIALLY playing GA. Her drives are abit slow and she seems to struggle off the centre pass AND second phase. I think Glasgow will go to Giants (connection with JLP & Austin from NWYC), or Fever (provides a meaningful change up with ATN).

Bluebird
    Participant

I think Glasgow needs to play with an experienced GA. She got that playing with Folau, they worked so well together. Glasgow just hasn’t had the same support this season, or the court time. I don’t blame her opting to leave Tbirds, Potgeiter is always going to be no1 GS.

AllieC
    Participant

I think the Covid situation will play heavily into the decisions of some of the import players as to whether they will remain in Australia. It is one thing to leave your family and move here but know they can visit and you can go back in the breaks but not having an end date to when you will see your parents, child or partner again is really hard. Many of them won’t have seen them for the best part of a year by the time this season ends and it could be another year until international travel opens up.

Joyjamie
    Participant

Agree with you. for the English players there is also the fact that if they do start playing again next February will be without fans watching, clubs will find that tough financially as well. Think the only one contracted at the moment is Helen Housby, If they get offered contract I would stay, now is not the time to return home

Leopard1
    Participant

She’s already faded!

Leopard1
    Participant

I like the idea of ALJ back to shooter. Great thought.

enozlas
    Participant

Okay first time posting here but as a Tbirds supporter here are my thoughts…

Pitman: One semi-decent season does not make up for 3 painfully bad ones. Yes this has been her best season yet but her standard over the last few years has been below par and I am overall relieved to see her moved on.

Glasgow: I am sad to see her leave however she is just not a GA. So with Potgeiter back there it’s not an entirely bad blow for the Tbirds. Glasgow has potential oozing out of her but she needs to play GS as she does not have the speed or agility to play GA.

Obst moving forward clearly wants to move Horjus in to the WA role so that leaves us needing to sign a GA to support potgieter. I don’t think Allen is up to it just yet however with Bueta coming back I think the Tbirds would be wise to chase after Dwan. Her and potgieter could be a fabulous combo and it fills the gap of Glasgow leaving and horjus moving across.

GS Potgeiter
    GA Dwan
    WA Horjus
    C Nankivell

That’s an attacking line up I’d be happy to see develop over a season or two!

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

Yeah it will be interesting to see if Horjus’ future lies at WA or if she turns into a true GA/WA who can slide in between positions. This probably won’t impact the type of player Thunderbirds sign but maybe who. Ultimately a strong GA who can either play WA or GS

enozlas
    Participant

I didn’t love what I saw of her there in the last few rounds to be honest, but I also put a bit of that down to not having a strong enough GA to work with.. she had Gooden and Glasgow and neither offer any movement or drive.
    So very intriguing to see how she would go with a dynamic player in GA…

Ian Harkin
    Kat
    Participant

That is interesting. someone will be leaving the firebirds surely?!

Tully
    Participant

Wow! Did not see that coming but take it as very positive news that Rav wants to get back to her best. Played her best in the FBs environment.

Now who is leaving? Lightning need to revive their midcourt so should try and steal a player or two. Gardner and Mi Mi probably won’t get FB contracts. Maybe also Dunkley. With Rav there then Cassidy will most likely move to WA.

FBs looking good for 2021!!

Does make you wonder about the Collingwood environment though. With Treloar signed to collingwood and then having a young bub the easy decision would have been to stay there.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Tully.
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 768 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Australia SSN 2021 signings/rumours