SSN 2021 signings/rumours

SSN 2021 signings/rumours2020-09-21T09:26:33+10:00

Forums Australia SSN 2021 signings/rumours

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 768 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Wow! That’s very unexpected, but a good surprises nonetheless! I’m glad that Rav will be coming back to the Firebirds, but my mind immediately goes straight to whether Cassidy or Dunkley are on the move. It would be a shame if Cassidy had to go back to bench sitting, after proving to be one of the best C in the comp. I wouldn’t be surprised in Dunkley was moving on though, because she was only a replacement player for Cassidy, even if she did work her way in the starting 7. Vixens would want her back for sure. A front line of Aiken, Beuta, Cassidy and Ravaillion is very intimating!

gwalk11
    Participant

Hm…not super pumped about this signing. I would prefer for FB to develop the Dunkley/Cassidy combo.

Tully
    Participant

FBs could keep both Cassidy and Dunkley. Rav, Simpson, Dunkley and Cassidy. But could be bench sitting for one of them. In saying that Dunkley had that for most of the season till the last few rounds anyway. I’d think Cassidy would win the WA bib. She played a lot there when she was younger and I’m sure will still get a run in C too.

Hopefully losing Gardner doesn’t bite them in a few years. Lightning should snap her up as she is one of the best young middies in Australia.

gwalk11
    Participant

Did Rav play a bit of WA at Collingwood, or was that just WD?

Tully
    Participant

Actually the more I think about this the more surprised I am. Still think it’s great for Rav; wonder if she knew Jencke was leaving when she signed?

But the FBs finished the year so well and I expected very few changes. Now they will lose two of their midcourters. Probably Gardner and Mi Mi. Maybe Dunkley. But I can’t see her going back to Vixens. Yes she is great mates with many of them but she isn’t starting 7 there. Maybe Collingwood though? They have signed Jovic, Browne and Braz so Dunkley would round that out. Lightning and Thunderbirds will probably chase them as well.

Interesting, let’s sit back and see.

Players can’t sign contracts with other clubs yet only letters of intent. But maybe Rav slips through that rule as she wasn’t contracted to Collingwood in 2020??

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Tully.
    al_ex
    Participant

I get the feeling Collingwood may not have wanted her. I mean they have Jovic, Braz and Browne who are all very capable of starting, there are so many talented midcourters in Victoria as well. Vixens are obviously stacked in their midcourt, so Victoria may not have been an option. The thing that surprises me a bit more is that she didn’t move to Sydney given her family are there. She would be a good WD option for the Swifts and if I recall correctly she and Hadley are quite close? I wonder who will be on the out from Firebirds, surely Lightning would be interested in pretty much all the Firebirds midcourt options.

NB12
    Participant

Lisa Alexander was asked on Offsiders yesterday if she would be interested in either of the vacant coaching positions. She said that she would be keen to coach next year, and that you never know.

Perhaps we will see her at the Firebirds and this has swayed Rav’s decision.

Joyjamie
    Participant

Interesting to see in Newsletter that you think NSW Swifts roster would stay the same. If was making change it would be at WD, not sure who could come in, Hoping Haythornwaite stays, feeling positive as she is still in Australia and has not returned home yet.

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

WOW! Big news and even though I’m surprised I’m quite pleasantly surprised. I think this could help Rav find her career best form again, hopefully being surrounded by some of her old teammates will be good as well. She used to be very tight with Bueta, even started a mini business together for a short period. I hope she knew Jencke wasn’t coaching before she agreed to return. LA could be a good option at Firebirds and maybe it’s been in the works for a while and Rav knew, hence the signing.

Tully
    Participant

LA to Firebirds? Hmmm maybe. I thought she might go for Collingwood. Lives in Melbourne and has spoken about wanting to get a Coaching Director job at an AFL club so could be a good way for her to get a foot in the door at an AFL club.

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

I think either way I’d be shocked if neither of the Firebirds of Pies wanted LA so I’m thinking we’ll see her at one of the clubs next year.

NB12
    Participant

Tully – she also mentioned on the show she is also very keen to coach AFL in the future, and I agree Magpies seem the obvious choice.

I know she had an excellent relationship with JWT at Tbirds, but not sure how that relationship is now?

Ian Harkin
    gwalk11
    Participant

I think the Rav to FB could indicate an LA move to Firebirds – plus LA also has a great connection with Bueta.

If Collingwood pass on LA then I think that is further indication they are cutting costs for 2021 season.

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

Oh wow! That’s epic, I hope he posts an updated one in the days after the grand final when clubs start signing new players. Good source of clarification as to where players stand. This also supports that article about Rav moving back to the Firebirds, so I feel more confident about that one now. Slightly worrying that Thunderbirds have no contracted players and I don’t like that they can’t sign multi year deals since the current contracts being signed can only be for a single year.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 768 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Australia SSN 2021 signings/rumours