SSN 2021 signings/rumours

SSN 2021 signings/rumours2020-09-21T09:26:33+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 768 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Garrett, Unie, Cassidy probably a little cheaper than Langman, ALJ & Russell so could see those three in Lightning.

Leopard1
      Participant

Scratcher. I took great offence to your commentary on ALJ’s biscuit making prowess and instagram and hence her lack of focus on netball. And this doesn’t just apply to ALJ it applies to all SSN players.

Firstly I am guessing you don’t live on the Sunshine Coast and have probably never spoken to the girls in a SSN team. ALJ would earn less than $40,000 a year from the Lightning so, as all the other clubs do they promote the players working during non training time. They actively help them find work. In the case of ALJ an import to Lightning from WA, $40000 doesn’t go that far so they need that additional income. The clubs also promote the girls having outside interests and friendship groups outside of the team. Given the high pressure nature of elite sport, emotional and mental health is a critical focus for teams such as the Lightning. The highs and lows of wins and losses, finals or not finals, will I get on the court, will I perform etc take a significant toll on the athletes week in and week out. They need external focus for well being and the teams want this.

To suggest a player is not focused on her sport given the fact she makes cakes and cookies to supplement her Lightning income and puts this on instagram is, quite frankly way out of line and uninformed. Given the mental health issues our communities are currently dealing with I am surprised you could even make the comment. But maybe you didn’t think through what your comment was expressing.

My mother always told us kids “that if we didn’t have anything nice to say about someone then don’t say anything”. Reading my past posts it is clear I have not followed her advice but from a review of all posts it doesn’t appear anyone else does either. That is why the SSN teams suggest to the players not to read social media feeds as it can have a very negative effect on emotional and mental well being.

I have fallen into the Scoop trap and as such this will be my last post. I let my standards drop.

scratcher
        Participant

I am sorry if my comments caused you offence, they were not intended to. sometimes writing a comment does not adequately convey a sentiment, and I guess this is what occurred. I stand by my observations.

AllieC
          Participant

Leopard I think you are taking people’s comments too personally. I haven’t weighed in on the ALJ issue before but I do agree with other comments about her not being up to SSN standard. I don’t agree with the cookies comment made because I agree that players need to have other interests/jobs. But if she was good enough she would have demanded time on the court. We have seen this with other benchies who have had little court time but have been great injections to the game. ALJ seems like a really lovely person and is a good netballer, just not great. That does not reflect on her personally.

Leopard1
            Participant

Scratcher. Apologies I said I wouldn’t post again. However if you can state you stand by your observations, you have absolutely no empathy or understanding of emotional and mental well being, despite this being so prevalent in society. Astonishing in these times! WOW

NettySuperFan
              Participant

If we can’t critical analyse the game of netball and the athletes, what’s the point of having a forum? Nothing on here was a personal attack on ALJ. Being a professional athlete, you are going to be judged on performance, they come hand in hand. I believe athletes have to earn time on court, in training, or where ever. Koenen did that extremely well because she put in the hard yards off the scenes. Not saying ALJ has put in hard work, but obviously the coaches believe they need to see more from her before she’s earnt sone court time.

K2
                Participant

Speaking of being aware of the mental wellbeing – I also don’t think it is helpful to say someone has no empathy or value for the mental wellbeing of others because you disagree with a comment they made on a netball forum.

K2
                  Participant

Is Austin signed for 2021? I would love her to go to Vixens. I think the change of scenery could really help her to level up, as well as training with and against Mannix and Weston.

al_ex
                    Participant

I’m not sure if Vixens would have enough money to lure her. Leaving aside her family and boyfriend being in Sydney, she’d be higher up the salary cap pecking order at Giants.

NettySuperFan
                      Participant

Yeah, Austin has signed for 2021, same with Harten. That would be hillarious though if, after denying Bassett court time all year in favour of Austin and Harten, and pushing Bassett out of the league, that Austin didn’t even sign with them.

Joyjamie
                        Participant

Getting back to Vixens who are they now going to have in their shooting circle? garbin now signed for the Swifts again so couple of openings still to be filled. Kate Eddy will surely sign for them again as well.

scratcher
                          Participant

It appears all the Diamonds are contracted for 2021, however some of the development squad players as I write this here are still uncontracted

Cassidy, Garrett, Glasgow, Lewis, and Moore. I assume we are just waiting on announcements for them.

Zara Collings
                            Participant

I’m assuming that Cassidy will be Lightnings announcement tomorrow…

I would really like to see Glasgow at Vixens! But then they do need another who is predominantly a GA which I assume would need to come from their TP’s/ANL as I can’t see them bringing in an import.

al_ex
                              Participant

I think we’ll see Glasgow and McDonald sign with the Vixens. Overall it seems like there will be very little movement, pretty much only players who were forced out have looked to go elsewhere. Makes sense considering the short turn around to next year and all of the logistical difficulties that would come with moving during COVID.

Maddy McAuliffe and Laura Scherian have re-signed with Lightning

Lauren Moore and Tayla Fraser have signed with Swifts

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 768 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top