SSN 2021 signings/rumours

SSN 2021 signings/rumours2020-09-21T09:26:33+10:00

Forums Australia SSN 2021 signings/rumours

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 768 total)
  • Author
    Participant

The condensed season really showed why teams need a good bench. McDonald used her opportunity to prove her worth so I think she deserves to be in the 10 over honey. Smith plays wing defence and Goal defence, an article I read about her says she’s working on learning centre as well. Smith is amazing but the vixens need an attacking mid court player so unfortunately don’t have space for her unless eddy doesn’t re-sign which is unlikely.

Tully
    Participant

I doubt Honey will get a contract at Vixens for 2021. Yes Vixens rated her above McDonald at the start of the year but not by the end. Honey is a beautiful athlete though and only a year back from her Achilles injury so I would expect they’d keep her as a TP and have her play ANL to get court time.

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

I really don’t like the way Stanton’s axing has been handled. She’s in quarantine and only found out yesterday she wouldn’t be re-signed?! Despite whether or not we think she is likely to be wanted by another team. It’s so far into the contract period that even if a team would’ve considered taking her on, they may have already signed someone. I will support Stacey as Diamonds coach but I really have never liked her. Had a few interactions with her in SA when she was down for Fever games and she was very cold and rude (just my experience of course!). Can’t imagine why NA would hire her and call her ‘a people person’. Wishing Stanton the best of luck. With the right coaching she really would be an asset to any team. Maybe a change is exactly what she needs, hopefully she is picked up as a TP for 2021 and and can push for a contract in 2022

NettySuperFan
    Participant

The fact that Stanton only just found out makes me think they originally had planned to sign her on, but when they found out a certain high-calibre WA was out of a contract with Tbirds they started thinking about others things. Either way it definitely seems like a last minute decision, not something that they had been planning early on in the season.

NB12
    Participant

I think Fever are in a tough position because it wouldn’t be in their best interests to advise any players before finals that they aren’t be considered for next season. The quarantine is also unavoidable, as is the cut off for signing players.

With regards to Stacey M, this wouldn’t have been her choice entirely. She is the front person but she isn’t the person calling all the shots, particularly with the way things are announced.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think Fever would be interested in having Pitman in their team again. Been there, done that. It’s looking more possible that it’s Glasgow or like I posted yesterday, Donell Wallam.

mcleod
    Participant

So was wondering if there is a chance Kayla Cullen (Johnson) might be back next year.
    Hubby Shaun is out of Rugby League until well into 2021.
    Was reading a article in which he says, he will support her in everything she plans to do.
    Or something like that.

Tully
    Participant

If other teams can have their GMs / List Managers in Brisbane to hold these discussions in person in the hubs then I don’t understand why Fever couldn’t as well. They could leave Marinkovich out of those discussions to maintain a separation of duties and focus on 2020 and only bring her in if specifically requested.

It’s a shame for Stanton that it is late but there is still 3 weeks to go. Albeit most teams have their lists sorted or majority sorted pending confirmation of squad sizes. None the less a TP spot at a lot of clubs and if squads are 12 then on court opportunities could follow.

Belle
    Participant

Players Without A contract Team.
    ( Includes Players who’s team has a team of 10 that they are not in)

GS: Staton
    GA: Glasgow
    WA: Pitman
    C: Cassidy
    WD: Craig
    GD: Brandley
    GK: Shimmin

Bench:
    Eagland
    Colyer
    Hodges

Not a bad Team

NB12
    Participant

None of the other teams that played in the final have let go of players, or announced publicly at least. Craig and Swifts is the only one I can think of, but it appears if the squads are 12 players then there will be room made for her. Telling Stanton before the final could have had a detrimental impact on the team if she was needed on court. I’m not sure the day after a grand final loss is appropriate either, given they flew back to WA the next day.

Also, I’m sure it was about getting the players home as soon as possible because WA is the only state that requires the hotel quarantine for every person entering the state.

I’m not saying it’s harsh on Stanton(or Eagland for that matter), it would be awful for her being alone in a hotel room and facing this news. But there are some unique circumstances in play for the Fever.

Tully
    Participant

Most teams had these conversations during the rounds. This isn’t a unique situation. In 2019 Eddy knew she was going to
    vixens before finals.

Given Fever do have the added issue of hotel quarantine would be another reason to handle it better.

NB12
    Participant

Yes, but that was a positive discussion for Eddy. Fever telling Stanton she was unwanted isn’t positive.

And you can’t really compare anything that happened in 2019 to 2020 – non netball related too!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by NB12.
    Belle
    Participant

Was Eddy spoken to in advanced be because of her injury though?

Tully
    Participant

My point is other teams handle it (hence a 2019 example) so Fever could have. They chose the timing of delivery.

Bec Webster was in Brisbane managing the Vixens discussions.

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

@belle, that’s a pretty good team, a shame some of them will miss out on contracts. Here’s hoping for an expansion in 2022

al_ex
    Participant

If I were Vixens I would consider contracting Stanton and Glasgow over McDonald. I know they like to reward their pathways and McDonald will be a strong player in the future, but I don’t think it would be the worst thing if she had another year of ANL. Obviously if they decide to go for Allie Smith they’ll need McDonald as GA/WA cover. It’s crazy to me that Gooden has ended up with a contract (and probably decent court time if they play Horjus at WA) when players like Letherbarrow, Stanton, Allen, Hodges etc. may miss out! It seems to happen every year though.

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 768 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Australia SSN 2021 signings/rumours