SSN 2021 signings/rumours

SSN 2021 signings/rumours2020-09-21T09:26:33+10:00

Forums Australia SSN 2021 signings/rumours

Viewing 15 posts - 586 through 600 (of 768 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Cool.

enozlas
    Participant

Completely far fetched here but just think it’s a a fun thought to throw out there…

what if SSN operated as its own league independent of a main Aussie comp such as ANL?
    Similar to what India do with the IPL. Bring in the best of the best from all around the world for a star-studded season which runs independently from competitions in NZ/AUS/ENG etc (at a different time of year of course) that way import numbers don’t matter, you get to see your favorite players go at it against each other and world netball continues to get its development. But then the respective countries still have their own leagues where imports are not allowed and you get the development and growth of local talent.

I understand logistically this would be a bit of a nightmare and there is definitely not enough money in netball to make it happen but just imagine how fun that would be!!

gilll
    Participant

Not wanting to diminish the International game but I think the run for imports over giving our younger players a consistent and extended go on court at the top level, is really hurting our Australian game. If you look at the non starting players and TPs, they in the main don’t actually play much netball at any level in any given year. So if you’re contracted as a young player for two years and see the court maybe 10 times for 5 mins a time it is hardly helping your game. Hard to have any impact. Sure if you are good enough you will get the court time but it seems to me we are missing out on the potential of some young players as we have the focus on imports. I noted above, that 7 of 8 starting GS’s are imports, which is really disappointing for the development of Australian netball and our premier GS is now playing in NZ because she couldn’t get a start here. I just don’t think the dynamics are right and believe we should have a quota on imports per team. We will still be helping world netball development but we will at least be giving our own players a reasonable chance to succeed both domestically and at international level.

Joyjamie
    Participant

Must admit I’m from the UK and love seeing the English Roses players in this league. I feel though there should be a limit of how many should be on court, Swifts currently have 3 and last season they nearly started all of the games. also maybe if there is more teams there would be more opportunities.

gwalk11
    Participant

What I do find heartening is that teams who have focused on local rather than international talent are starting to look really good, and should be good for a couple of years.

Vixens and Fever only have 2 imports each, and their Australian players got lots of court time this year in every area of the Court. Firebirds should be great next season too and they only have the one import (and Romelda is now an Australian citizen and has played so long in Queensland I dont think she really should be classified as an import).

Also, other than Magpies, I don’t think any team this off season has looked to contract a new international player who was not previously playing SSN. So far, all gaps have been filled by local talent, a lot of it young talent. I expect that trend to continue as the old guard internationals retire in the next few years (think Pretorius, Mentor, Fowler, Aiken etc).

Bluebird
    Participant

I dont think imports are a huge problem for SSN, I think it only being 8 clubs is the problem. Australia has the players to have a 10 club league.

As for UK import rule, I find the not in the same third is not perfect. It makes it more likely they will be GS and GK. I’m assuming that London Pulse have some sort of exemption for their SA players to be on court together this year. I hope so because it’s better for world netball but it’s also better for the competition in the league.

VNSL could do a lot more bringing in top players from other nations but our visa system makes it impossible for those nations outside the top 12. Which is a great shame because a couple of Zimbabwe players deserve a spot.

al_ex
    Participant

What’s even more ridiculous than the Top 12 visa rule is the fact that Zimbabwe wasn’t in the Top 12! I really hope we see some INF ranking reform to put more emphasis on performance at the pinnacle events. The current system really punishes some of the poorer countries who can’t afford to travel and beat easier teams. Players like Felisitus Kwangwa could probably even make SSN and would surely be at the top of VNSL wish lists. I don’t know how far in advance the visas need to be applied for but hopefully Zimbabwe’s new status in the Top 12 helps get more players over for next season.

mcniffy23
    Participant

Has anyone else heard rumours about wood and Koenen going to the vixens! I’ve seen heaps on Facebook and don’t know if it’s true or not? And also if eddy is resigning?

greenasgxld
    Participant

I started to think that Koenen could sign with Vixens, mainly due to the talk of them signing a GS/GA with SSN experience. Both of them though? I doubt it. They would most likely only sign one of them, then one VIC pathway player.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by greenasgxld.
    mcniffy23
    Participant

Yeah that’s what I heard and then saw on tiktok that both of them are going? So guess no one will know til both of the clubs announce it!

Tully
    Participant

Koenen and Wood going to Vixens??

Does Koenen want to sit on the bench? I love her but she won’t get the GS bib off MJ. Just won’t. Yes Vixens rotated 3 shooters this year but Philip’s court time reduced dramatically as the year went on (yes the fact she was virtually playing on one leg would have contributed).

Surely these FB rumours (I haven’t seen them) are just because both teams haven’t announced their shooters??

To not sign at least one young Victorian would be very non Vixens like.

As for Eddy well she is currently on the Gold Coast with Watson, Weston, Mannix and Moloney….

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

Re Eddy, she is with a group of vixens players right now holidaying and in general, I don’t see her leaving. She seems happy.

Vixens have Kumwenda so I doubt they need Koenan. Having Thwaites and Kumwenda, both favoured at GS, in one team, was not a common thing but it worked when Thwaites was at GA. A circle of Koenan and Kumwenda just doesn’t make much sense to me and I don’t think it would be helpful to Koenan’s development as she would be getting much less court time. I think Vixens would be more likely to sign a Vic pathway player over Koenan.

It’s all been a little hush hush recently, I think we are going to be somewhat surprised with who the Vixens sign just because so many names have been thrown out there for their shooting end. Samason, McDonald, Hodges, Wood etc.

Tully
    Participant

On Tiktok?? Isn’t that just dancing? :scratch:

clearly I don’t have tiktok!

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

You’d be surprised the amount of rumours I see on tik tok, about a range of topics, that turn out to be very accurate. But I have a feeling this is a baseless rumour by one prominent tik toker whose content is netball based and regularly posts where she HOPES players are moving, it’s not actually based on information.

mcniffy23
    Participant

Yeah the person might have a twitter page I’ll check and if you wanna look you can 🙂 her name is conciergemaree 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 586 through 600 (of 768 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Australia SSN 2021 signings/rumours