SSN 2021 signings/rumours

SSN 2021 signings/rumours2020-09-21T09:26:33+10:00

Forums Australia SSN 2021 signings/rumours

Viewing 15 posts - 631 through 645 (of 768 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So disappointing seeing as we had a very promising year and saw some really great things. I wasn’t even upset with the departure of Pitman because I thought we had a reason behind it… But the fact that nothing has been announced and now all the starting midcourters seem to be signed is just annoying.

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

Definitely, I could’ve justified moving Pitman on if we had a promising signing in her place but that just hasn’t and probably won’t happen. On top of that, the goal circle and defensive depth are looking shaky with no Shimmin in defence and Gooden as the backup shooter.

Becca
    Participant

With most experienced players now being signed, I think the Adelaide Thunderbirds 2021 squad is going to be very young. Rookies like Maisie Nankivell and Georgie Horjus were obviously standouts in 2020 but I think the Thunderbirds are now expecting too much from them in 2021.

Lisa Alexander mentioned in some podcasts that the standard of play this year was diluted, most likely due to the condensed season. This may have made rookie players like Horjus and Nankivell seem more capable at SSN level than they really are. Next year, teams will be back to playing at full intensity. There will also be plenty of footage on Nankivell and Horjus for other teams to scout, which means they’ll both have to evolve their game and overcome the 2nd Season Blues.

And they’ll also have to do all this without the support from more experienced players like Pitman and Shimmin. It’s a lot to handle. Back in your young guns but don’t push them straight into the deep end.

T-BirdsAreGo
    Participant

I’m really concerned about T-Birds this year. I can’t see reason to the decisions made with list management.

I don’t think Pitman will play. She put a call out on Instagram for social / mixed netball teams so her and her husband can play. I doubt she would risk injury playing social netball if she was going to play on.

NettySuperFan
    Participant

As a Thunderbirds supporter, I too am very disappointed with Tbirds and their decision. The only reasoning that I can put behind it is the reduced salary budget due to breaching it in 2019. That could be the reason why they fill the need to invest in younger, cheaper talent. But even that doesn’t really explain all the decisions they have made.

Belle
    Participant

SSN without Pitman will not feel the same. :negative:

Belle
    Participant

Any word on list sizes yet?

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

Absolutely Becca, the standard must have been lower this year and rookies, despite their hard work, probably looked better because of it. Thunderbirds definitely expecting too much from their young players.

Pitman did the call for social netball a few days after being informed she wouldn’t be re-signed, wouldn’t read into that too much. She still may not be signed to an SSN team but I wouldn’t think that her social netball participation really indicated that as it was very early in the contract period.

Tully
    Participant

Collingwood have signed Bragg and Jacqui Newton.

As a Vixens fan I am both sad to lose Newton but rapt for her as well. Has been so dedicated to Vixens and deserves a contract. But this is what happens when you retain an import in the area of the court where you have so much young talent.

Will be interesting to see what if any moves Brooke Allan and Sharni Lambden make as TPs now.

I posted earlier that in my opinion Bragg deserves to be retained so happy to see her be rewarded.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Tully.
    moooz
    Participant

Newton deserved a contract with Vixens. It baffles me that Vixens continue to sign Dehaney when she makes very little impact and only plays GK

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by moooz.
    al_ex
    Participant

I don’t think Vixens should keep Dehaney either, but is Newton really first in line? Smith was far better than her in my opinion, and even if she is going to become a WD/C she’s done enough at WD/GD across SSN and ANL to get a spot there ahead of Newton.

Anyway, this feels like a pretty good move, especially for Newton. I’m not really sure why they dropped Garrett for her, but she is a better GD option so maybe they’re looking at using Ward a little more at WD next season. The competition is starting to even up a lot which is great.

Tully
    Participant

Oh I agree al_ex Smith is definitely ahead of Newton. But it just seems Vixens continue to pump out SSN ready defenders and lose them when they could have kept a at least one. They don’t need Dehaney.

Ellis spent two years as a TP before going to fBs. Newton had 3 years as a TP. Smith has had 2.

I agree it’s a great move for Newton. Newton has played a lot of GK for Falcons at VNL so can cover both circle positions.

Belle
    Participant

The vixens are great at developing youngsters. Looking at Watson, Maloney, Philip, Thwaites, Weston, Mannix, Eddy all stated there and have found on to great things. Dunkley, Ellis, Newton, Smith. Being a vixens training partner doesn’t seem to be to bad 🤔

Tully
    Participant

Vixens TPs are also VIS scholarship holders which is a definite benefit over Collingwood. Will be interesting to see if they try and bring Brooke Allan back into the NV pathways. But they will probably go with Gabby Coffey as a TP. Actually quite Interesting Magpies signed Newton over Allan

Belle
    Participant

Mentor as a mentor for Newton will be great for her development.

Viewing 15 posts - 631 through 645 (of 768 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Australia SSN 2021 signings/rumours