SSN 2021 signings/rumours

SSN 2021 signings/rumours2020-09-21T09:26:33+10:00

Forums Australia SSN 2021 signings/rumours

Viewing 15 posts - 646 through 660 (of 768 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Matilda Garrett and Elle McDonald to the Thunderbirds

Tully
    Participant

Great news for both.

Vixens sure are being raided!!

Guess Smith will be at Vixens now?

Elle McDonald is a great signing and will fit in well.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Tully.
    Z1989
    Participant

Mcdonald is a great signing from the tbirds. I’m thinking though, that Vixens would have tried to sign her because they definitely rated her over Honey, but Mcdonald would’ve known she would get a potential starting position at the Tbirds. I think the biggest plus over this signing is that we won’t have to see Horjus at WA now and at GA where she really shines. These signings though pretty much indicate that Pitman was let go in relation to the salary cap. Earlier this year, they were fined around $100,000 for a salary breach and they’ve let go of a lot of their experience for youth.

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

Not entirely upset with the signings but for me there is a lack of experience. I mean really, Garrett in place of Shimmin? Hopefully McDonald can confíe to progress from her Vixens form, that would be good for the team.
    I think 2021 won’t be a great season for the Thunderbirds in terms of wins but the key is to retain the core roster because as those combinations develop they shouldn’t be thrown away. The team needs time together otherwise there won’t be much success. Promising youngsters in this team, hopefully they pull some upsets out of the bag.

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

The breach was a $10000 fine with the rest suspended i believe. Not sure the amount would be significant enough to drop Pitman

Zara
    Participant

Great signings! Really doesn’t give the tbirds much experience though… Potgieter and Guscoth maybe, but that’s literally it?

thunder123
    Participant

Based on a 3/4/3 split, here is what’s left (I think)

Giants – need a mid
    Vixens – need two shooters and two mid
    Tbirds – need two defenders.

Would assume Eddy fills one of the Mid positions at Vixens, and would also assume Gusgoth and Sterling back at Tbirds.

enozlas
    Participant

Hmmm… i’m uninspired by Garret… to be fair i haven’t seen her at all outside of SSN so don’t know much about her but haven’t really been excited but what little i did see of her. Maybe some more solid court time will benefit her though and if they can keep these players around for a while and build some combinations im all for it.
    McDonald I was very impressed with what I did see of her and yes agree that it means Horjus can stay in GA and develop.
    I agree with all that was said earlier though about young players being found out in their 2nd year and also the drop in standard that was SSN this year. May be some big expectations on Horjus to carry the load at GA. Unless Tbirds know something we don’t about Gooden??

Belle
    Participant

The Thunderbirds team will be able to develop together. I’m looking forward to the tbirds team of the future

Zara
    Participant

If it would be in relation to a salary cap I wonder how other teams like giants did with both harten and cbass, jlp and Kim green all at the same time. Surely they would have commanded a lot?

Tully
    Participant

Z1989, two big calls there! Firstly that McDonald turned down a Vixens contract (there was more than just Honey to beat out)and secondly they dropped Shimmin and Pitman due to salary cap (they could have offered a reduced contract which in particular Pitman probably would have taken to stay in Adelaide).

SA has had such great success at underage level in recent years but with the exception of Horjus and Nankivell they haven’t brought them through. Hopefully Williams is a TP and gets an opportunity.

Tully
    Participant

Thunder123, I think Giants will want Brandley for the final spot. There was an article quoting JFitz after CBass left saying she hoped she would sign on again. If Brandley doesn’t sign they might choose to reweight their squad and go O’Brien.

You’d think Sterling and Guscoth would complete the TBirds.

As for Vixens I’m going to guess… Smith, McDonald, Samason and Eddy.

Z1989
    Participant

Yes, I definitely think there could be more to it. I know clubs don’t usually do this, but I think the Tbirds should have given some reasoning behind the departures of Shimmin and Pitman because they were both so unexpected and mysterious and it wasn’t like they were performing badly.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Z1989.
    al_ex
    Participant

I have a sneaking suspicion that they dropped Pitman because they wanted to move Horjus to WA and Glasgow to GA, then when Glasgow headed up to leave they were caught out and needed to find a WA because Gooden isn’t ready for a starting position. I just doubt they were so interested in McDonald that they felt the need to drop Pitman for her. It might seem strange for Glasgow to leave when she would have gotten more court time but I think Fever might be looking at her longer term. If she was moving just for court time she surely would have gone to one of the Melbourne teams.

Waylay
    Participant

McDonald is a great signing!! Such an impressive WA.

Viewing 15 posts - 646 through 660 (of 768 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Australia SSN 2021 signings/rumours