SSN 2021 signings/rumours

SSN 2021 signings/rumours2020-09-21T09:26:33+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 721 through 735 (of 768 total)
  • Author
    Participant

A little surprised by the Vixens shooters although I shouldn’t be as it is exactly what they said they would do! Rapt the Vixens signed Barkmeyer and whilst not my first choice Stanton makes sense.

Somewhat surprised they went for Barkmeyer over McDonald given they took McDonald to the hub. But perhaps McDonald’s future is more in the WA role as she is a beautiful playmaker but needs to work to keep her volume up. In contrast Barkmeyer has a great shot and is a volume shooter. I know Barkmeyer is rated very highly but I didn’t really expect her to get a contract at 19. None the less I trust McMahon to pick the GA she wants to work with! Another result for Geelong Grammar (Barkmeyer boarded there and is from Bendigo).

Looks like Samason will be a TP for a year which is not a bad move given that she hasn’t been able to play post ACL due to covid. There will be an opportunity for her at some point but for McDonald she may need to look elsewhere or to WA. But of course Watson is there at WA and blocked Dunkley and E McDonald and with the likes of Cransberg / Mundy / Leydin coming through that might not be an opportunity either.

As for Stanton I will keep an open mind. I have said before in here that I think she gets a bad wrap some times unfairly. I much prefer this to another import! She has performed well in the past. It does give them a bit more height and she has experience. Maybe this move will refresh her and training under McKinnis and McMahon is what she needs? Stanton and Watson are great mates so maybe that will translate on to an on court partnership providing Stanton a much needed confidence boost? Of course it’s only a year contract so if she doesn’t progress they can change for 2022 by which time Barkmeyer will have more experience. It was interesting to look at the super shot stats for this year. Stanton was at 52% which is comparable to Dwan and Housby at 53% (yes volume is different) and better than ATN, Glasgow, Gooden and Nyah Allen who were in the 40s. Stanton is definitely good enough for a SSN contract and as a Vixens fan whilst she wouldn’t have been my first choice I will get behind her. Some social media comments are very disappointing.

Thwaites and Philip are massive shoes to fill. No one can do that. But neither was the volume shooter or primary ball deliverer so in that respect structures remain. That gives Barkmeyer and Stanton licence to bring their own game to the court.

Wondering where this leaves Smith? She hasn’t signed elsewhere as yet. Neither Barkmeyer or Stanton are WA backups. So the last signing probably needs to play WA? Unless Vixens know game day squads are 12 and they can have young players like Cransberg or Mundy on the bench? Or they’d just switch Moloney there and play Smith in C? All will be revealed eventually.

Tully
      Participant

Wowee I know I shouldn’t read social media but just wowee some of the appalling comments on the Stanton and to a lesser extent Barkmeyer signings! Some comments are downright disgusting.

McKinnis just coached the Vixens to the title and McMahon is the best GA well ever so it is fair to say they know a thing or two.

A lot of people seem to think Sacha McDonald should have got a contract. I’d like to know how many of them have actually seen her play? Stanton is a better player right now. I like Sacha McDonald as a player and expected her to get a contract but mainly as she can swing across to WA as I thought that would allow them to sign Smith. In hindsight the fact they never used her there even with Watson injured should have given it away to me that Vixens weren’t looking at that. But I will admit I was nervous about her shooting. McDonald is a feeding / play making GA. If you look at the 2019 ANL final she fed Ryde superbly but didn’t shoot a lot. Contrast that to Dwyer for the Waratahs who from memory shot something like 30 odd goals. With Watson in WA the Vixens don’t need a feeder but someone to push into the circle, take the drives, put shots up and take defensive attention off MJ. I am sure McDonald received feedback and unless she wants to change clubs will most likely have a TP spot. Will be interesting to see if Samason and Palavi also push for one.

I’d like to point out whilst Vixens predominantly sign Victorians they have signed players from interstate before when they have needed experience in certain positions. Watts, Dziwoki, Cox, Fellowes etc. Barkmeyer is a young Victorian so that is supporting their pathways right there. Depending on the last signing they should have 7 of their 10 as from
        Victoria. What other club has so much home grown talent? Lightning have 6 QLDers I think and Giants have 9 from NSW. Awesome
        Work Giants!!

al_ex
        Participant

I didn’t know that Geelong Grammar had such a strong Netball program. Most of the elite girls schools up here don’t really push Netball (or sports generally) that much. There are some SSN girls who’ve come through IGSSA programs (Parmenter, Dwyer, Ellis come to mind) but it wasn’t really because of their schools, probably more in spite of them!

greenasgxld
          Participant

I’m going to be honest, I didn’t really expect that.

The signing of Stanton just screams ‘tried to sign a better shooter and failed’ (perhaps one of the Lightning shooters or Glasgow?) just because of how late Fever announced that they were dropping her.

It’s a smart move for her though, she’ll have the chance to rejuvenate her game and gain her confidence. However after looking on Insta and Twitter, I feel sorry for her. Some of the comments are terrible and no one should have to read that.

I haven’t heard much about Barkmeyer but at least they’ve got one VIC shooter.

As for McDonald, they could still sign her as a WA/GA slide. She’s more of a feeding GA and could slot into WA quite nicely. Tbh they don’t really need Smith yet as they have Eddy, Weston and Moloney who can cover WD.

Tully
            Participant

I doubt the Vixens were ever trying to sign Wood or Koenen. I would say that was dreamt up on social media probably by the so called fans that are now trashing Stanton and Barkmeyer.

Let’s not forgwt the players that weren’t getting on court in the hubs played scratch matches together / against each other. I have no doubt that helped Newton get a spot at Collingwood. So McDonald had these games and also the pre season games in NZ to press her case not just to Vixens but other clubs. But yes exactly I agree McDonald could still be the 10th player.

I don’t think Vixens look at Moloney as a WD anymore. In their eyes she has well and truly transitioned back to C (it was C that of course she played in the junior pathways).

I am very intrigued to see who gets the final contract. If they want a WA it might be Cransberg or Mundy. I don’t think it will be Honey and if they see McDonald as a WA then I think they would have used her there to cover Watson (just my opinion).

I have no doubt other clubs would have wanted Smith but seeing as she hasn’t gone anywhere yet I think it might be her at Vixens.

TACTIXSUPPORTER
              Participant

Stanton will thrive and develop into a great player at Vixens. Will be able to focus on her GA but not become a WA like she was at Fever. Being fed by the world’s best WA and Australian Diamonds.

Fever isnt well known for helping shooters develop so she probably is glad she is out of that environment!

Never heard of Barkmeyer. But good they are going local!

Belle
                Participant

Are you taking Honey or Smith?

greenasgxld
                  Participant

I would take McDonald over those two. I don’t really see the hype with Honey if I’m being honest and with 2-3 players in the squad that can already play WD, they don’t need Smith just yet. McDonald can play WA and imo has the game for it.

mcleod
                    Participant

So we still waiting for Sterling to sign for the Tbirds??

Netballcrazy1
                      Participant

Fresh twist in AFL superstar Adam Treloar’s ugly departure from Collingwood as netball team lashes out at treatment of his wife after club blamed HER for split

Not that relevant to SSN signings but as we were discussing it earlier thought I’d just throw this in. Think it says that NSW Swift’s Twitter are the ones who called out Collingwood

Abymum
                        Participant

Collingwood are not doing themselves any favours as being seen as a family friendly club with the treatment of Kim and Adam.
                          I think it is also interesting that the 3 players that went on maturity leave none are going back to Collingwood with Brandley going to the Giants who have proved themselves with Bec Bulley, Kim going to the Firebirds and Medhurst who was fit and ready saying she wanted to get back on court then decides to retire. I can tell you they will not be getting anymore membership money from me after this female blaming fiasco.

al_ex
                          Participant

Has Collingwood actually developed a reliable fan base at all? In the first year when they bought half the Diamonds team they seemed to get some decent crowds but as soon as they stopped looking like a threat their matches dried up. Sometimes it looked like they only had about 1000 people in the stands. It seems like only Collingwood AFL supporters really get around them.

Netballcrazy1
                            Participant

A couple of players, including Medhurst have actually posted some stuff on their social media over the last day showing support for Rav and calling out Collingwood’s handling

all-rounder
                              Participant

On Vixens Instagram this morning – Allie Smith signed

Tully
                                Participant

I’m rapt. Smith is a possible 10 year player and future captain.

I have no doubt that she had offers elsewhere so as soon as those squads filled I felt confident she was at Vixens.

I am sure people will say they are unbalanced. But they have been training Smith as a WD / C for two years. Realistically Watson will only leave the court if injured. They can then bring a TP into the 10. This is a retention signing that they could not afford to let go. They got lucky to get Eddy back they weren’t going to get that lucky again. Similar to Fraser at Swifts over a WD.

Not sure where all this leaves Sacha McDonald though. Given she can play WA I was sure she would be the young Victorian Shooter they’d sign but obviously Barkmeyer got that spot. Hopefully they still do game day teams of 12 and McDonald can work her way up that way. They really need to let Dehaney go at the end of 2021 to make room for a McDonald / Cransberg /Mundy. I can’t see Dehaney getting much court time at all next year. They can play Weston / Eddy or Mannix / Eddy in the circle if for some reason they need to switch from their standard Weston / Mannix.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by Tully.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 721 through 735 (of 768 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top