2023 SSN THREAD – Announcements, signings and team news

2023 SSN THREAD – Announcements, signings and team news2022-07-19T21:21:43+10:00

Forums Australia 2023 SSN THREAD – Announcements, signings and team news

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 354 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Nyah Allen signed with Pies.

Ian Harkin

enozlas
    Participant

Interested to see how Allen goes next season… I know a lot of people rate her but personally I think she lacks drive and doesn’t offer much in court craft. But I’m excited to see more of her on court next season, happy to be proven wrong!

TB
    Participant

If you were Lightning, would you offer Romelda a contract?

They came dead last this year, with a Diamonds shooting combination. Do they need a player like her to mix their attack end up?

netballgirl
    Participant

I would love to see romelda at lightening for her own convenience as she’s going to be a new mum and she’d be a great asset to their struggling attack line.

Though I don’t think it will happen, the coach will want to keep their 3 shooters.

Could romelda make her way to thunderbirds? Romelda and Cardwell? Might form a deadly combination?
    It will also give cement sterling and Wilson’s spot in the team for years to come. 3 Jamaicans!!

StatsNerd21
    Participant

Batcheldor is contracted for next year, and four defenders and four shooters isn’t going to work. I really hope Romelda can find a contract, she’s on 198 games and nobody wants her to be forced out like this :-(

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

A shame for Romelda, she would’ve been a one club player no?

I personally don’t want to see her at Thunderbirds though, she’s old and we don’t need old we need someone for the future. Signing Austin makes more sense.

colin
    Participant

Who will Firebirds sign as their defenders? One of Lewis or Newton? Or will they look to overseas talent or could they potentially elevate a training partner?

Could Jenner end up at Magpies or Fever?

Could one of Mi Mi or McDonald end up at Magpies?

Will Firebirds sign Macy Gardner as their backup midcourt option?

Will Thunderbirds sign Lucy Austin? A shooting end of Cardwell and Austin, with Dwan as backup, plus Horjus could be deadly!

Do Lightning sign Miller or M Hinchliffe?

Will Fever resign Cosh?

Who do Fever sign to replace Francis-Bayman?

Ian Harkin
    Ian Harkin
    netballgirl
    Participant

In my opinion romelda is better then wallam. Though I can see why they’d choose a younger player. It’s just upsetting because of how they worded it. “Too risky”

TB
    Participant

IMO this does not look good for the Fbirds management.

ahdz
    Participant

The Firebirds have always got to go and put their foot in it

tina_138
    Participant

Maggie Lind not contracted for 2023.

ctree
    Participant

“Too risky” were never FB words. They were Romelda’s paraphrased words from her own social media post.

FB were damned if they do and damned if they don’t. Drop Aiken-George and it’s the “they don’t support pregnant women” card. Drop Wallam and it’s the “they don’t support up and coming Aboriginal talent.” But they’re both only a GS option and there’s not really space for two only shooters.

I would pick Wallam for the long-term development potential. Especially with her and Bueta forming potential Diamond’s connections.

This whole situation reminds me of Fever circa 2018/2019 when Medhurst was dropped. Articles in 2018 reported she was on $135K which was a substantial part of the salary cap. Everyone then crucified Fever for letting her go, and then also hated on Fever for the same salary breach when discovered years later. But the narrative was always on “how Fever let go of her” rather than it being a good club/business decision. I hope this doesn’t carry the same for Firebirds. When Fans don’t think it’s a player’s time to go, it doesn’t matter how/why the club does it, or whether forward/business thinking was involved.

It absolutely sucks for Romelda, and it’s a kick in the guts for women wanting to balance career and children, but that’s professional sport unfortunately.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 354 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Australia 2023 SSN THREAD – Announcements, signings and team news