2023 SSN THREAD – Announcements, signings and team news

2023 SSN THREAD – Announcements, signings and team news2022-07-19T21:21:43+10:00

Forums Australia 2023 SSN THREAD – Announcements, signings and team news

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 355 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Wild guess here, but I think she wants to try learning WD to increase her Diamonds chances and fill that WD/GD role left by Francis-Bayman. I think it’s a shame since having Bec Bulley as coach might have helped her defensive game develop further. But also can understand her wanting to leave the Firebirds as I think her game has stagnated a bit and has been superceded by RBD. I think she has nothing to lose as she is bench warming anyway at the Firebirds

Tully
    Participant

Interesting move.

Very defense heavy lineup. No proven WD backup to Anstiss when Anstiss is also the only C backup. I know Aryang has played WD but has a lot to learn there. I have seen Jenner at WD, Aryang would be the better option.

Can’t see much court time in Ellis’ future.

Wouldn’t have minded seeing Jenner under Bulley’s coaching.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Tully.
    ctree
    Participant

I agree she has nothing to lose and more to gain by moving to Fever. Dan rotates his players much better than other coaches (*cough Julie Fitzgerald cough*), so I’m sure she’ll still get court time.

Also, Diamond’s selection is all about combinations so it might be a great strategic move there, playing with Bruce and Aryang.

Lastly, Fever have good GF potential, and Jenner will only add to that being there. There’s new contracts in 2023 regardless if it doesn’t work out for her. I think appropriate risk for reward!

I’m not a huge fan of Rudi Ellis so far, her movement on court hasn’t been there just yet. To me the biggest surprise was keeping Emma Cosh! I suspect she’s not on a huge salary and they probably couldn’t afford anyone else. I love how Dan is developing her more as a back up GA (her original position). Because if Glasgow goes down…

Ian Harkin

Waylay
    Participant

Would have loved fever to sign Gabi Sinclair. If something happened to Fowler, a Glasgow/Sinclair circle is way more potent than a Glasgow/Cosh circle.

Montyandpoppy
    Participant

I don’t know who, but I reckon firebirds will be hoping they have the signature of a big international name… Hence why Jenner was probably told that she wouldn’t still have a starting bib. So she probably figured bench at fever would be better and give new opportunities (learning wd) than bench at birds?

TB
    Participant

I was really looking forward to seeing a Jenner/RBD combination develop.

I’m surprised that Cosh has been resigned. However, I do like the loyalty Dan has shown to this group. He’s backing the players that just won a title for him.

Was Claire McMenimin (sp?) not an option for head coach?
    I’m excited to see what Bec Bulley can do in this role. But I am surprised Claire hasn’t stepped up to the role.

chloe
    Participant

Jenner at the fever is interesting, because her and Courtney Bruce are both so well known for being highly penalised, so will Dan Ryan have them on together? As someone above said it’s all new contracts in 2023 so I imagine some of the signing are just holding tight until then

Ian Harkin

I mean, she could just want to be part of a winning team I guess. But it just seems like a GD/WD would have been more suitable.

ctree
    Participant

I’m also impressed that Bec Bulley got 4 years on her contract as coach! It gives her a chance to actually settle and build rather than throwing her in to meet unrealistic expectations in 1-2 seasons. Especially considering she wasn’t involved in these team selections (I assume?) and contracts are all up for grabs next year.

Stoj
    Participant

I’m another one who doesn’t understand this move to Fever for Jenner. I know her starting spot has been taken RBD, but Bec Bulley has been the assistant coach to Akle, who is well known for using her bench. So I can only imagine that Bulley will be quite similar. Jenner would warm the bench much less at Firebirds than she will at Fever I predict.

Ian Harkin

Collingwood has signed Maddie Hinchliffe

Ian Harkin

NB12
    Participant

Good signing by Magpies. Jovic can play WA as a back up to Browne. And I think this gives them a genuine change up at C and WD when required.

NB12
    Participant

With Fever, I think they have done ok with the Jenner signing. In my opinion they need a GD/GKas much as they need a WD.

Realistically Ellis isn’t an option, even if it is to bring Bruce forward, she just isn’t effective. Fever have a couple of quality TPs that can cover the WD/C, and they have stop gaps if the change is needed during the game. They could even try Ellis in WD for impact.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 355 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Australia 2023 SSN THREAD – Announcements, signings and team news