Super shot and rolling subs to continue

Super shot and rolling subs to continue2020-10-22T09:12:30+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
      Netballcrazy1
      Participant

“Contrary to some media commentary, we attribute this season’s increase in viewership to a range of factors, including the fact we were the first elite female sport to run a full competition after the outbreak of COVID-19. While the Suncorp Super Shot is an important innovation, it was one of many reasons for the success of the 2020 season.”

Yes, your viewership went up because of the COVID restrictions. But no it was not because of the Super Shot. Your viewership went up because all the loyal supporters who attended games wanted to still support their teams. Sure as per every season, you attracted new viewers, but let’s be real, a good chunk are the members and supporters who couldn’t attend the games.

It is yet to be determined if the bonus point rule, that was in play for seasons 2018 and 2019, will return in 2021. Further Competition Committee discussion will take place on this rule at the group’s December meeting.

Could they make this system any more complicated? If you want to attract new viewers, adding more elements to the game is only going to increase complexity and confusion. The bonus point system will ruin the point of having an extended squad on game day (if that happens).

caribou
        Participant

Sadly, a predictably disappointing decision.

This season was a success for many reasons. Rolling subs combined with larger benches made for better games, ending bonus points provided a fairer competition. Supershots just delivered the ever present fear that the weaker team might steal a win that they didn’t deserve. I haven’t seen the final season stats but at mid season the number of medium and long range shots was down compared to last year.

mcleod
          Participant

Increased viewers, hmmmm not what I been looking at.

Jbss
            Participant

well said Carobou

HDav
                Participant

If the rolling subs means we get more new players getting exposure, that’s great. However it’s not going to help in international netball.

Netballcrazy1
                  Participant

I’m interested in seeing the results from the State of Netball survey that was completed across the board by people involved in netball. Hopefully, there is something in there about the feeling of fans on the super shot and that that data is made public and NOT hidden!!! Disappointing that more than 60% of players don’t want this rule but SSN didn’t really care about that (I personally am surprised that even 40% like the rule, would’ve thought it would sit more around the 20% mark)

Netballcrazy1
                    Participant

Just opened Instagram and saw all the comments on the SSN’s post to announce the super shot was staying. WOW! The amount of anger from fans asking why they weren’t being heard and listened to was crazy. Much more than I’ve ever seen on Instagram in the past, usually facebook is the place for that.
                      Do they ever take a moment to look beyond surveys and short-term financial gain to actually look at what fans want. I think comments on a platform such as Instagram are actually a great way to get an idea of where people sit with things like this.

A quote from the article below…

Australian Netball Players’ Association CEO Kathryn Harby-Williams said a player survey indicated 60 per cent were not in favour of retaining the Super Shot, and that the majority of Super Netballers wanted a smaller zone to make it harder to sink a two-point goal.

stars-supporter
                        Participant

After following ANZ, I was looking forward to even more netball with SSN but Super shot was a big turn off for this viewer :negative:

“We did a survey of our players so we had a clear understanding of their view and 60 per cent were against it, 20 per cent liked it and the rest were indifferent,” Harby-Williams said.

Netballcrazy1
                            Participant

If SSN won’t listen to the players about getting rid of the super shot, the least they could do is make the area smaller but in sure they won’t want to do that because they know barely anyone would take shots from that far out unless necessary. I like the KHW is saying they understand the need to trial it in a normal season, that’s such a good outlook to have, she’s willing to compromise. Wish the SSN was willing to do that too.

netballmum
                              Participant

I hate the super shot & think it distorts the game , the tactics and disrupts the flow etc etc.

However, I would rather have the super shot than the bonus points which are worse!!

Rolling subs are great – I think with those in place they should get rid of the time outs – if the coaches want a change, make a sub.

mcleod
                                Participant

Said it when I 1st saw it, but the super shot range is embarrassing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top