Taurua retained as NZ coach

Taurua retained as NZ coach2024-04-18T23:47:29+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Maryann
      Participant

I, for one, are happy enough in her reappointment. I would like to see a different Assistant Coach put in place to support her with new ideas and also a commitment to attend all events with the Silver Ferns, not just some.
        While this may seem harsh – the time has come for SF trialists and squad members to step and ensure that they meet the required fitness standards before they attend the final selection process, instead of wasting everyones time by being sub par. They are professionals and need to remember that. I also believe that if a player makes themselves available for the SF Ferns squad or extended squads that pulling out for reasons than illness/injury should not be allowed. Same reason, these are professional players, this is their occupation. Expecting players to be available to tour then finding out they have requested an exemption does nothing to assist the rest of the team. It is a team sport and all planning is done with this expectation.

mcleod
        Participant

Ferns need something different, we can’t be losing to England as much as is happening.
          As yes 100% all players selected in Ferns squad must play for the Ferns, moving house is not a reason to skip captaining your country.

steelsupporter84
          Participant

A couple of the things I took out of her interview. Some of it was a bit samesy samesy ie other countries are ahead of us so lower the expectations. I get that to a point but if we have that mindset will we ever win.

I’d also like to know who the two world class players we have are, Grace is one but who is the other I’ve been really trying to think who it would be was thinking Watson but she never played much of that World Cup.

Like what was said above we need a new assistant coach someone to bring something different and again whats been said before they need to be at all games not just pick and choose.

Lastly looking at our competition the ANZ could we add two or three men’s teams to the competition? For one it will stop it from getting stale, two it will give our girls more competition and a different style to think about.

mcleod
            Participant

Why do people want and need Female Netballers being bashed around, by clumsy male players.
              I’m sorry but I cringe when they played in the Cadbury series, they are so much bigger, and play a totally different style, and one that is not suited to being against a much, much smaller and fitter female.

What’s next the Women’s Rugby team playing the All Blacks!!!

steelsupporter84
              Participant

For one the all ANZ teams train against the men all the time anyways so that’s not an issue. Secondly a different style is exactly what is needed and to play against a different style is great for player development of our girls in this country. Thirdly that’s disrespectful to the male players saying they are clumsy they are skilled athletes too.

Baller
                Participant

Crampton and Nweke the 2 world class players at the Comm games?

I’m hopeful Taurua was appointed because she has presented a clear strategic plan to up skill our players to become world class. Personally I don’t think ANZp (currently) prepares our players adequately for internationals. So I’m intrigued to see what changes are going to be made. Especially given NNZ is perhaps working on very tight budget.

Unfortunately, fitness testing is a must. Players know camp dates and need to turn up ready and prepared.

NZ101
                    Participant

Sorry but to me this whole process was just a tick the box exercise as Jenny Willie said last year that the coaching role was Noels till she didn’t wont it. Results have not been flash open it up and keep the public happy.

mcleod
                      Participant

Another 2 years of selecting fit players, but they can only shoot at 65%.
                        Winning the last 2 games over a faltering Diamonds saved her job.
                        Another 2 years of selecting her friends. Oh well never mind.

silverferns1
                        Participant

great, not another “new, refreshing, and different (plan) from previous years” – we all know how the last one worked out…

I would’ve preferred to see Vicki Wilson appointed as the new head coach. But can see the risks of that in that she hasn’t really been tested in that head coach environment before.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by silverferns1.
                          museboy
                          Participant

For me, the issues are:

1) losing mindset – this manifests in the Ferns accepting defeat more readily than they should. If she wants to treat the Nations Cup etc as training games, fine, then bring home the CWG/World Cup at the end of the cycle! She failed at both.
                            2) ANZP losing pace with the SSN and maybe even SL with the lack of quality imports. A wider NNZ problem. I’m ok with the fitness standards and however the skill level seems to be subpar. Allowing NZ players to play, or even train, in the SSN will be beneficial as long as the ANZP is not gutted to do so.
                            3) Her recent coaching strategies have resulted in a boring, one-dimensional game that is easy to pick apart and doesn’t utilise the flair of players in the way great NZ teams have done in the past (including her WC winning team)
                            4) dropping/not investing in players who have performed well internationally when they slightly stumble – Poi, Toeava, Wilson (after winning the CC) and Metuarau come to mind. I think MRB will be in the same boat soon

Maryann
                            Participant

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/350237317/silver-ferns-coach-keen-relax-rules-around-players-competing-australian-league I hope this is reported correctly. I’m not certain how many players Australia would want but I’m not also certain that Kiwis playing in Australia would weaken the ANZ teams – imo it would allow a quicker pathway to the next tier of players and some of the current newer batch have shown they are more than capable.

mcleod
                              Participant

Taurua doesn’t select the best players.

Baller
                                Participant

Would love to know who (with the right opportunities and guidance) could become our next world class players.
                                  Nweke…
                                  I do admire AUS strong team of 12. I felt like Taurua was getting their those last 2 Concup games. Then lost momentum during quads with players out.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top