Thoughts on a possible Australian team

Thoughts on a possible Australian team2020-09-15T10:10:46+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • Author

After seeing the Channel 9 expert commentators having a go at picking their Australian Diamonds starting 7 on the weekend, I decided to get the thoughts of some of the Netball Scoop writers to see what we could come up with. 8 NS people (including myself) picked our starting 7 and 5 bench players. And then I tallied up the votes to arrive at some sort of consensus.

First things first, there were two positions that were unanimous. Everyone picked Liz Watson at WA and Jo Weston at GD. So they go straight in. No surprise there. Of the other positions, GS, GA, C and GK had one player picked by a majority. So they weren’t too difficult. And then there was WD. In all, there were FIVE players picked for the wing defence position. One player received three picks which was the most, so she got the nod. But that position was a real toss up. With the shooters, there was general consensus that the 4 players should be Caitlin Bassett, Cara Koenen, Steph Wood, Kiera Austin. It was merely a case of who you have in your starting 7, and who you have on the bench.

After working out a starting 7, I tried to work out a bench to form a team of 12. But it was a bit tricky to do that. Instead, I put together a second starting 7 from the players who just missed out on the first. So here they are. Here are the two starting 7s I came up with…

First starting 7
      GS . Caitlin Bassett
      GA . Steph Wood
      WA . Liz Watson
      C … Kate Moloney
      WD . Amy Parmenter
      GD . Jo Weston
      GK . Courtney Bruce

Second starting 7
      GS . Cara Koenen
      GA . Kiera Austin
      WA . Paige Hadley
      C … Jamie-Lee Price
      WD . Kate Eddy
      GD . Sarah Klau
      GK . Emily Mannix

Those weren’t the only players mentioned. These are the players who didn’t get enough picks to make either of those sides: Maddy Proud, Kim Jenner, Verity Charles, Jess Anstiss, Tippah Dwan, Maisie Nankivell, Laura Scherian, Maddy Turner. Personally, I would really like to have Maddy Proud in my Australian team of 12, but most of the other writers weren’t with me on that. And I was surprised that with all the different choices for WD, Gabi Simpson wasn’t one of them!

So who would you pick? What would your Australian team look like… starting 7 and bench?

moooz
      Participant

GS Thwaites (Hoping she comes out of retirement)
        GA Wood
        WA Watson
        C Moloney
        WD Parmenter
        GD Weston
        GK Bruce

Koenen, Austin, Proud, Eddy, Mannix

Adzelmo
        Participant

Interesting discussion

Gotta say I am quite shocked with Weston being unanimous. I think she has been very average for the majority of the season. Eddy has been far supreme when she has shifted to GD.
          Based on form I would have Jenner at GD.
          As for the rest of my team if it’s based purely on form this season…

GS Koenan (unless Thwaites makes herself available)
          GA Austin (Wood very close now that she is coming back into form)
          WA Watson
          C JLP (I’m a Vixens fan but just get very frustrated with Moloney’s lack of finesse and confidence on the feed) (Maddy Proud is close for me too)
          WD Eddy (Parmenter for impact to win the ball)
          GD Jenner
          GK Bruce (gets in by a whisker ahead of Mannix as I just feel she has more of a presence on court)

Subs
          Bassett (if thwaites isn’t available)
          Wood
          Moloney/Proud (depending on how the play in finals)
          Parmenter
          Mannix

Weston misses out as Eddy can slide between all 3 defensive positions.

al_ex
          Participant

Koenen
            Wood
            Watson (C)
            Proud
            Parmenter
            Weston (VC)
            Bruce

Bench: Bassett, Austin, Hadley, Eddy, Mannix.

I think a lot of the midcourt positions would change for me depending on how players go under the pressure of finals in SSN. Hadley or Price is such a tough one, but I think the Diamonds need the attacking C more than the defensive one considering the new shooters. If Vixens win the premiership and Moloney creates some play and stands up in attack, she would be there for me in that Hadley/Price spot.

For me the Defenders and Shooters select themselves, I don’t really know who else would be chosen if they’re going to go for two of each position. I don’t want to see the Diamonds lose to the Silver Ferns by one because Jenner got 30 penalties.

I’m surprised how few people are rating Proud right now, not just the writers here but also the SSN commentators. I guess her improvement has been recent and she’s less likely to make the team if Hadley doesn’t, but for me she’s the most effective and consistent attacking player in the league right now after Liz Watson (plus she’s strong at both C and WA).

mcleod
            Participant

CBass
              Wood
              Watson
              JLP
              Parmenter
              Weston
              Bruce

Bench Koenan, Austin, Proud, Klau, Mannix

Just let Thwaites enjoy her retirement, CBass is there because she is the best GS in Australia,

I do hope the Con Cup is played this year. I get the feeling it will be, and all 4 games will be in NZ.

Tully
              Participant

al_ex we are on very same wave lengths. I have the same shooters and defenders as you. Also the same shooters and defenders starting and on the bench. Watson is the WA then I get a bit stuck. I’d have Proud in my 12. I think she is in phenomenal form. Not sure if I would start her or not. I get stuck at WD. I’d have Eddy in my 12 which means my 12 only really needs one defensive midcourt but I’m not sure that the selectors will pick Eddy. At the same time with Austin and Wood as shooters they provide WA backup so the same logic could be applied to needing less of a WA backup. Such a touch balancing act in the midcourt. Hadley is so strong at all 3 positions that she will be there somewhere. It’s easy to say someone can play all 3 positions but they don’t necessarily play them all at such a level as Hadley that she is a legitimate option in all positions on an international court.

So I have

Koenen
                Wood
                Watson
                ?
                ?
                Weston
                Bruce

Mannix
                Eddy
                Austin
                Bassett
                ?

As I said Proud and Hadley would be in my 12 just not sure where yet. I’m stuck on Parmenter v Price. If we were selecting squads of 15 my 5 midcourters would be Watson, Proud, Price, Hadley and Parmenter. If Parmenter is in the team I’d start her on the bench. Twice this year she was well beaten by Watson.

I’ll come back and edit once I work this out.

Ian, I too was surmised that Simpson appeared to have fallen completely off the radar for the commentators. Doubt she has for the selectors though so we may not even see Parmenter in the team.

Personally, I would definitely have Maddy Proud in my 12, but not many seem to rate her.

Netballcrazy1
                  Participant

First starting 7
                    GS . Caitlin Bassett
                    GA . Steph Wood
                    WA . Liz Watson
                    C … JLP
                    WD . Amy Parmenter
                    GD . Jo Weston
                    GK . Courtney Bruce

Second starting 7
                    GS . Cara Koenen
                    GA . Kiera Austin
                    WA . Paige Hadley
                    C … Maddy Proud
                    WD . Kate Eddy
                    GD . Sarah Klau
                    GK . Emily Mannix

I think Maddy Proud has to be in the team of 12, she is in form and too good. Moloney and JLP are great C’s but come from a more defensive background so while I feel bad for Moloney who has been in pretty good form, I see the need for two different types of Centre players in case things aren’t working on the court.

Anonymous

GS Koenen
                      GA Austin
                      WA Watson
                      C Proud
                      WD Eddy
                      GD Weston
                      GK Bruce
                      Bench: Bassett, Wood, Moloney, Jenner and Mannix

Koenen and Austin have both been standouts. Wood has finally played herself into form and her combinations with Koenen and Bassett are invaluable. Bassett slivers in because I think she’s been decent when actually on court and I think we need her experience in some shape or form.
                      Eddy gets in over Parmenter because 1. she’s had a great season and does an excellent job of keeping WA off circle edge; and 2. I like the WD/GD switch option with Weston (like NZ with Burger/Rore).
                      Mahalia Cassidy would be my dark horse – I think she’s had a brilliant season on return from injury. But Moloney just gets the nod for now, but I would start Proud because she’s a better feeder and would hopefully take some pressure off of Watson (who is an obvious no-brainer for selection).
                      Bruce, like Wood, has played herself into form and is starting to look really good. Joey Weston’s been superb for the Vixens the whole season through. Mannix, for me, has been outperforming Klau this season so she’s in. I would take Jenner too for the exposure, but she’s still behind Weston. Bruce and Eddy are both options at GD too.

Adzelmo
                      Participant

We must be watching an entirely different Jo Weston’s. The Jo Weston I have watched this year has only had 2 decent games. The rest of the time she has been very ineffective and I am fairly confident that’s the reason Simone has moved Eddy into the circle. Lol …. each to their own
                        I’d actually have Klau ahead of Weston based on form throughout the season. Klau has just been let down by a lack of defensive assistance from WD and sometimes GD.

Adzelmo
                        Participant

Ian, I agree with you re: Proud. She has been getting better and better and is a great attacking C option plus provides great cover at WA

NettySuperFan
                          Participant

I’d have to disagree about Weston and Klau. Weston has been having a very good season, she doesn’t necessarily pick up a lot of ball, but she creates an immense amount of pressure, which often causes a turnover, and someone like Mannix picks it up. Klau hasn’t even come close to the form she was in last year, I’d even be tempted to leave her out of the squad this time, in order to give Jenner some exposure in the Diamonds squad.
                            It also shouldn’t go unnoticed that April Brandley hasn’t retired internationally, and so could definetly be included just based on being part of the WC squad, and having the connections already there….

NettySuperFan
                            Participant

For me:
                              GS Bassett
                              GA Wood
                              WA Watson
                              C Hadley
                              WD Simpson
                              GD Weston
                              GK Bruce

Koenen, Austin, Proud, Eddy/Jenner, Mannix

aqua301
                              Participant

GS Bassett
                                GA Wood
                                WA Watson
                                C Hadley
                                WD Eddy
                                GD Weston
                                GK Bruce

Koenan, Austin, Moloney, Klau, Mannix

I think if they are still have the wider squad which I think should still include
                                Phillip, Dwan, Price, Proud, Simpson, Parmenter, Jenner & Turner.

montyb
                                Participant

Shivers….these are my favourite type of posts. I find myself reflecting on Plummer’s somewhat controversial selection in 2011, in the sense that she went for a 4-3-5 split instead of the usual 4-4-4. In doing so, she had a bench that provided meaningful change ups, rather than like-for like.

The combo of Eddy at GD and Weston at GK was so effective against Fowler (yes, only for a 1/4) that i can’t quite justify having room for Bruce, Mannix and Klau – because if Bruce isn’t working i’m not convinced Mannix or Klau offer enough of a change up. Liek wise with the shooters, i really like the idea of one holding shooter, with a completely different style on the bench. Yes Thwaites played a more mobile game than bassett, but it wasn’t enough for me to offer a true change up. based on this, my team would be:

GS: Bassett
                                  GA: Wood
                                  WA: Watson
                                  C: Hadley
                                  WD:Parmenter
                                  GD: Weston
                                  GK Bruce
                                  Bench: Koenan, Austin, Proud, Price, Eddy. (Mannix replacing Proud if you want to revert to a standard 4-4-4 split).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top