Thoughts on a possible Australian team

Thoughts on a possible Australian team2020-09-15T10:10:46+10:00

Forums Australia Thoughts on a possible Australian team

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Participant

The midcourt is definitely the area where there are a lot of options and potential combinations.

My starting 7 would be:
    GS Koenen
    GA Wood
    WA Watson
    C Hadley
    WD Eddy
    GD Klau
    GK Bruce

Bench: CBass, Austin, Proud, Moloney, Mannix

I think it’s important when giving new players exposure to have lots of versatility, hence Austin (GS/GA/WA), Proud (WA, C and even WD), Moloney (WA, C, WD) For me Hadley seems to have fallen under too many radars, she is in excellent form and certainly deserves a starting 7 spot. You need a good mix of experience and youth and I think Watson, Wood, Hadley and Bruce can balance out Koenen and Eddy and help them through the game. CBass is certainly up there in the top shooters but without match fitness and match play cannot be considered to start in my opinion. Weston has had a bit of an average year too from my perspective so I’d have to give Mannix the nod over her. You’ve also got Eddy who can swing into the circle so it’s still versatile.

Wider squad/TP’s needs to include Dwan, Nankiville, Parmenter, Jenner who I’d have also had in my squad if they would fit along with Weston.

TB
    Participant

CBass
    Wood
    Scherian
    Watson
    Simpson
    Weston
    Bruce

Koenan Garbin
    Proud
    Klaus Mannix

TACTIXSUPPORTER
    Participant

CBass
    Wood
    Watson
    Proud
    Eddy
    Jenner
    Bruce

Koenan Austin Hadley Klau Simpson

Jenner and Eddy should be there. Both exciting and add something different to the team.

New coach, new Era.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see Charles or ATN added to the extended squad. ATN should be no where near the Diamonds but after Austin Koenan Bassett and Wood I think Stacey will want to bring some youth into the team so it’s anybody’s guess what will make it.

Jbss
    Participant

I would have
    GS Koenan
    GA Wood
    WA Watson
    C Proud
    WD Simpson
    GD Weston
    GK Mannix
    Bench: Bruce Eddy Hadley Austin Basset

Wider Squad: Klau Turner Jenner Hinchliffe/Brandley(if she is available atm) JLP Parmenter Moloney Nankivell Dwan Horjus Garbin Glasgow

Ian Harkin

Just my opinion… I think Hadley is overrated at test level. She’s a really good club player, but at test level, she’s been found wanting. And now she’s played WD, I think she’ll get a run simply because of versatility.

Jbss
    Participant

I dont think shes really had the chance to show what she can do. Ive always thought she’s strongest at C and handy at WA but because Rav had the C bib on lock she had to try and become a WA. I don’t know why LA didn’t play her at C with Watson at WA more last year to give it time to build.

TB
    Participant

I think Hadley is overrated too. Decent player, but I would take Proud over her.

Watson Scherian Proud would be my first 3 picks. JLP Simpson or Parmentar to take the fourth spot.

Ian Harkin

There was no Rav at the WC. And Hadley did play C, but she was pretty disappointing, so that meant Watson moving to C quite a bit with Kelsey Browne at WA. We really need Watson at WA.

TB
    Participant

I think Watson is just as good at C too. She is definitely a player you need on court at all times.

Adzelmo
    Participant

I too think Hadley is overrated at test level.
    She is one of those players who is very good at National level but it doesn’t translate on the international stage.

Charles could be a smokey for the squad as she has been in great form this year and last and obviously has the connection with the coach.

al_ex
    Participant

I felt like Hadley got the short straw at the WC. She started slow against teams like Zimbabwe and Northern Ireland but then she was basically benched or used at WD (like against NZL in the pool match). She was by far the best midcourter in the match against South Africa (to the extent that they brought her back on for the last quarter after it all got tight). I really don’t know why she wasn’t brought on in the final when Browne played quite averagely the entire game and threw away some important balls when it mattered. Obviously in Constellation Cup she got her arm injury so it’s tough to read much into that. I’d like her to actually get the opportunity to develop a combination with Watson, under Alexander it felt like she never really got any opportunities to play full games with her. I’d still have Proud ahead of her for sure, but I’d prefer Hadley at C feeding shooters in a pressure game against NZL than Moloney or Price…

If Charles makes the squad they’re gonna have to try and find a tall Jamaican to naturalise, otherwise it might turn into turnovers galore.

aqua301
    Participant

I really hope Charles isn’t near the Diamonds, even the wider squad but I’m worried with Stacey as Coach she could be.

She’s an attacking midcourt, we have so many options ahead of her in this, and plays for a team where 3 players feed an incredibly dominant GS. Also she plays on a team that struggled a lot in 2019 and has only found form in 2020 when Bruce found form. Also Charles is 29 and I’m not sure she’ll play all the way til 2023?

Jbss
    Participant

Yeah people who are putting Charles up are seeming to forget how error riddled her game has always seemed to be. I don’t think she’s a game changer anyway.

TB
    Participant

I don’t think Stacey can favour any Fever players, cause she’s not the only selector right?

She has all of the top athletes at her disposal, I’m sure ANY coach will want the best-of-the-best in their team. If she was able to choose from any of these players to be in her Fever team, I’m sure there’d be a few players dropped.

Ian Harkin

There are three selectors, but I’d suggest that as a rule, the other two do mostly support what the coach wants.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Australia Thoughts on a possible Australian team