Vixens drama! Fever v Vixens called off!!!

Vixens drama! Fever v Vixens called off!!!2021-06-25T15:13:07+10:00

Forums Australia Vixens drama! Fever v Vixens called off!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Bruce as Diamonds captain….yeah nah.

Netballcrazy1
    Participant

Never had much love for the Fever and it only gets worse… Not liking their conduct and it’s obvious they just wanted the easy win and to not make any late changes.

JR
    Participant

This from the Vixens

<<The Melbourne Vixens’ round 8 game against West Coast Fever in Perth will not go ahead this Sunday, after the team did not receive exemption to enter Western Australia.

The Vixens were due to leave their Queensland hub on Friday morning for their game at RAC Arena on Sunday, however due to border restrictions in Western Australia, the Vixens will remain in Queensland until fully cleared.

The team travelled to Sydney for their round 7 match against Collingwood, with three players visiting northern New South Wales over the bye round last weekend, before returning to the Queensland hub on Monday. Despite players and staff not visiting any exposure site or being a close contact, the changing border restrictions into Western Australia now stipulate that any travel from NSW in the last 14 days is a risk.

The club has worked closely with and been supported by the league, Netball Australia and the Players’ Association throughout the decision-making processes across the last month that has seen the Vixens, Collingwood, Swifts and Giants all relocate to Queensland, with the safety and wellbeing of all players and staff the priority, with the aim to continue the season as closely aligned to the fixture as possible.>>

Earlier it was mentioned that only the three players who went to Byron Bay were not allowed to go to WA, and there’s been a lot of talk since that they could get replacement players – Samason (in QLD already) and two who are in Melbourne.

If there’s another reason – Vixens played in Sydney within WA’s 14 day restriction – how does that work? Surely all the team – players, coaches etc etc should have also been NOT allowed.

Very confusing and disappointing and Fever should hang their heads in shame for not being compromising.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by JR.
    caribou
    Participant

I have tickets for this game, but since I live in Melbourne I couldn’t go. WA borders have been closed to all Victorians (unless we undergo two weeks quarantine) for several weeks now. So none of the Melbourne based Vixens TPs (apart from Rahni) could get to the game either. And the ban on anyone who has been in NSW in the last 14 days has only been in place since yesterday. (Only People who had been at an actual infection location had been barred from travel until then).

And regardless of who the three players were who visited Byron on their weekend off, unless the team was instructed not to leave Qld I do see much blame attaching to them. And as far as ‘common sense’ goes a week ago there really wasn’t much to indicate that visiting rural NSW was likely to cause any more of a problem than being in rural Qld.

I don’t really have a problem with the WA approach to closing borders, apart from their very selective approach to granting exemptions to low risk sporting teams.

netballmum
    Participant

Interestingly Liz Ellis’ article this week in the Age (published 11.30am) references the cancellation of this game without any further comment or even trying to explain.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/netball/season-of-sacrifice-keeping-super-netball-show-on-the-road-20210624-p583vk.html?btis

mcleod
    Participant

I see on the SSN fixtures, it’s been rescheduled for Aug 1st, venue TBC
    But Vixens play Tbirds that day. Going to be a big day 2 games same day :scratch: :scratch: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :scratch:

JR
    Participant

<< And the ban on anyone who has been in NSW in the last 14 days has only been in place since yesterday. >>

So was the whole of the Vixens’ team banned from going to WA because they played in Sydney the weekend before last; or just the three players who went to Byron Bay and returned on Monday.

nettygal
    Participant

A bit rich from fever… they’d be the first team to refuse to play if Fowler was unable to fly, but they expect other teams to do that. Such an unlikeable team across the board, I’m disappointed the Swifts game will likely be in Qld and I won’t be able to cheer them on in person in Sydney

Also if football teams are given exemptions and netball teams are treated differently this is just another example of inequality and sexism in sport in aus :negative:

JR
    Participant

Fever’s last few rounds

Round 8 – ????
    Round 9 – V Swifts in Sydney
    Round 10 – v Lightning at home
    Round 11 – v T’Birds at home
    Round 12 – v Magpies at home
    Round 13 – v Giants in Sydney
    Round 14 – v F’Birds at home

3rd July Fever play Swifts in Sydney and then Giants on 31st July in Sydney. What will they do, travel East then go home and isolate even tho’ they have a games the following weeks at home.

If they move to QLD next week for the remainder of the season, that will really impact on their credibility.

JR
    Participant

Just read nettygal’s post – Fever are going to QLD for Round 9…grrr….

freonetball87
    Participant

Hope this works! Long time fan, first time poster!

As a Vixens supporter living in WA, I’m pretty disappointed with the club right now.

The WA government is notoriously strict with their border control. I am not sure why those senior players would choose to stay in NSW longer (and club management would allow them to do so) whilst a covid outbreak is kicking off in the state? Just seems to lack a bit of foresight.

Keeping the playing group together in Qld to avoid anything jeopardising their participation in future matches seems like a more wise thing to do in this current climate. There are certainly some lovely holiday spots within Qld for players to enjoy.

While I do agree that the WCF press release was tasteless in the extreme, I also can see why Fever would want the match to stay at home. 9000 tickets sold at Perth Arena, a Sunday game in front of a huge home crowd and the comfort of staying put in WA far away from any potential outbreaks seems like the logical choice to me.

JR
    Participant

Good post freonetball8.

But, as a Vixens member we’ve missed lots of home games last year and this – they even gave our money back when this year’s Round 6 game was moved.

Many teams compromised/are compromising to keep the SSN seasons going during the pandemic.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by JR.
    TB
    Participant

Welcome @freonetball87

I absolutely agree with your comments.

freonetball87
    Participant

I agree JR, the pandemic has thrown a lot of curve balls the Vixens way. It’s been a hard one for fans too. I will get to see the Vixens in Perth one day!! Something always seems to get in the way.

And thanks TB. I always love reading everyone’s thoughts. Certainly some lively debates!

nettygal
    Participant

I’m assuming they will as swifts are based there now!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 153 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forums Australia Vixens drama! Fever v Vixens called off!!!