Vixens fined over postponed match against Fever

Vixens fined over postponed match against Fever2021-11-03T11:36:19+10:00
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Netballcrazy1
        Participant

Hmmmm I’m not sure how I feel about the fine considering no alternatives were explored but it is what it is. I respect the Vixens for making the decision they believed was needed to protect the staff and players at that time.

Tully
          Participant

I don’t have an issue with a fine. I do however, have an issue with the severity of the fine. What was Fever’s for a sustained multi year salary cap breach?

Two things lead to the chain of actions taken by Vixens. One was three players travelling to Byron Bay with approval of the league and the other was WA border restrictions. Does the league take any responsibility for providing approval to travel to Byron Bay? After all, had they said no then more than likely none of this would have happened.

I’m intrigued as to why the Leavue’s Covid-19 decision making process was not enacted. Seems like it would have been a good time for it to be enacted and provide leadership. Why have it if it isn’t used? Will the League explain that?

On the bright side. A passionate Vixens team is one I love to watch. Had so much to play for in 2020 and that was a joy. I look forward to watching a fired up Vixens in 2022.

So far Vixens, Giants and Swifts have all been fined for covid-19 related breaches / issues. Who is next? Will the League review this and provide greater governance to ensure teams aren’t caught out in the future?

Yeah, I don’t like the Byron Bay part. At that time, we were all worried about getting the season completed, and I just don’t think a risk like that should have been taken, no matter how safe they thought it was.

And getting back to the match in question, I think more alternatives should have been explored, and NA should have just made a decision instead of doing nothing and having the teams fighting it out on social media.

Participant

Interesting point made by a fever fan on socials today. Pointed out that fever had had to play with borrowed training partners the year before in the Queensland hub. Beryl Friday was one! But I remember Marinkovich though, saying she had been to the local comp (below state league) and had spotted a player she liked the look of her and she actually ended up having court time! It wasn’t unheard of to ask Vixens to do this in 2021 therefore, is what the fan was saying and I had never thought of it this way (I was just excited to see Beryl again!)

snowy
                Participant

Had the situation been reversed, would Fever have agreed to play without 3 of their starting 7 – Bruce, Antiss and Charles?

museboy
                  Participant

Considering the Steel managed to play without JFR, Frew, Saunders and TPSR just two days after their van crashed, I have little sympathy for the Vixens…

mcleod
                    Participant

Yes so true museboy. And considering the Vixens ha enough players to field a team, they got of pretty lightly.

Kerryn
                      Participant

@museboy although in saying that, all the players that played that day were training partners and/or members of their Beko team, so were training with the Steel week in week out, and most weren’t unfamiliar with that level of play

Tully
                        Participant

I don’t think Fever using QLD state league players in 2020 set a precedent for this year. Too simplistic a comparison. In 2020 all teams were in QLD. Fever used locals because they had injuries to cover not because of players being unable to travel due to border closures. Also squads were 12 in 2020, when Condren came in she came in as player 12. Not players 8, 9 and 10 in a 10 player squad. What about player welfare of three locals put out to play Fever with probably just one training with the team. How would that have upheld the integrity of the comp?

Not saying Vixens were in the right. Just that I don’t agree with the argument that it was done in 2020 so it should have taken place in this instance.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Go to Top