2024 SSN Player & Team of the Year – your picks

2024 SSN Player & Team of the Year – your picks2024-08-05T20:48:02+10:00
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

We won’t do a poll this year. I’ll just ask you here to list who you think was your player of the year, and also your team of the year (the best in each position), and also any other highlights or comments you want to make…

TB
      Participant

Player Of The Year: Georgie Horjus

GS – JFN
        GA – Horjus (controversial)
        WA – Watson
        C – Moloney
        WD – Wilson
        GD – Hinchliffe
        GK – Sterling

My reasoning for picking Horjus: you really saw her worth when she sat out the game against Fbirds. As good as their defence is, the attack did not click without her. And let’s bare in mind her replacement player, Laura Scherian, is an experienced and a great player. Yet they struggled without her. The ability to move from WA to GA, proved pivotal in their success. She is a combination of Fretwell and Liz Watson!

thunder123
        Participant

Latanya Wilson my MVP.

GS – Fowler
          GA – Austin
          WA – Horjus
          C – Moloney
          WD – Wilson
          GD – Mannix
          GK – Sterling

StatsNerd21
          Participant

Latty Wilson is my MVP too.

GS: Jhaniele- just business as usual for her this season
            GA: Austin- wasn’t convinced until round 14, and finals really cemented her place for me
            WA: Horjus- Watson had great numbers but wasn’t necessarily a standout that her team couldn’t live without
            C: Moloney- one of the harder positions to decide for me, but low turnover numbers and much improved attack work got her across.
            WD: Wilson- no explanation needed. She’s just incredible.
            GD: Aryang- a somewhat unpopular choice, but I feel like she’s stepped up a level and has come through in clutch moments, and performed a good shutdown role. Could just be my WA bias though!
            GK: Shamera- even if she had less opportunities to get ball this year thanks to the other defenders!

netballgirl
            Participant

Player of the year MVP Wilson

GS RAG
              GA Austin
              Wa Horjus
              C Williams
              Wd Wilson
              Gd Jenner
              Gk Sterling

I chose RAG over JFR this season because she didn’t get rattled like Fowler did. She held her own and improved her game.

I chose Williams for C, she matched the diamonds C in attacking stats and passed JLP and Moloney in defensive stats.

Jenner is back!! Can’t wait to see her have a blinder next season. My guess is she’ll make diamonds as an invitee.

susanjc
              Participant

MVP Latanya Wilson

GS Jok
                GA Austin
                WA Horjus
                C Moloney
                WD Wilson
                GD Jenner
                GK Sterling-Humphrey (Ervin was fabulous too!!)

I chose Jok because she didn’t even have a contract at the start of the Season and without her Mavericks would not have done as well as they did. She took her opportunity and just starred!!!

Siouxsie Que
                Participant

MVP – Shamera Sterling – I just had to ask myself who would be my first pick based on performance and what she brings to a team and it is Shamera!

Team of the Year based on individual performance:

GS – Jahnelle – she is still the most dominant and accurate shooter. Special mention to both Shimona and Romelda.
                  GA – Kiera Austin – despite a couple of inconsistent performances when she is on fire she is on fire! I couldn’t think of a GA who was even close. In terms of the Grand Final she was the best on court by a mile and still flourished when Wilson was moved onto her.
                  WA – Liz Watson – so dominant in her position which grew as the season progressed. Note, all of the top four teams have strong WA contenders.
                  C – Jamie Lee Price – it and GD is the hardest. I gave it JLP as I think she was quite dominant in a team that wasn’t performing well. She has really taken her game to a different level over the past couple of years. She is also quite consistent from year to year which is why I gave it to her. C is a strong position across all of the teams. I also thought Paige was strong on the Swifts team in what was a very challenging year – she appeared to be the glue just managing to hold it all together. I also loved watching Mi Mi in her first year!
                  WD – Latanya Wilson – just sublime and can shut down every WA in the competition. Chose her here as this was where she played most.
                  GD – I haven’t gone on stat’s but just what I observed and decided to give it to Tara Hinchcliffe. She was a an unsung hero on the Lightening team and just did her job consistently, every week. She was working with new combos at GK and just slotted in. Also working with a new C. TBH – I was super impressed with how she worked with Ash Ervine and I thought that combo was a rival to the Jamaicans in terms of effectiveness and skill – I always prefer to watch skill prevail over brute force/intimidation any day!
                  GK – Shamera, of course!

If I was choosing a team some of my selections might be different as then how players combine and form a cohesive team environment becomes the main focus.

Trolly
                  Participant

Im going a bit different with my player. I can’t really separate Wilson and Stirling-Humphrey and I think they raise each other up and enable each other to shine so I’m going with Liz Watson. Stats wise she has had an outstanding year and the move seems to have refreshed her netball.

My team is:

GS: Jok (because she came from unsigned to winning best player for Mavs)
                    GA: Austin
                    WA: Watson
                    C: Moloney
                    WD: Eddy (I can’t put Wilson in both WD and GD and I think when Eddy was fit she was great)
                    GD Wilson
                    GK: Stirling-Humphries

It’s tough to leave Horjus out of the lineup but I think Watson is still the best WA around and Georgie didn’t spend enough time in GA to push Austin out.

TB
                    Participant

@Trolly I was thinking along the same lines as you re Austin and Horjus. But my thinking was kind of reverse with yours. As in Austin spent the whole season there and had a very mediocre year (don’t come for me, I don’t know the stats😂). Yet whenever Horjus was moved there, after spending most of the game at WA, she could completely change the game and be confident to go to post. If Austin’s season was like her GF performance (bloody amazing), I would have picked her.

So for me, it came down to who had the better season between her and Liz Watson. Cause Horjus was taking one of their spots.

silverferns1
                      Participant

GS – RAG (I don’t enjoy watching Fever games.)
                        GA – Austin
                        WA – Horjus
                        C – JLP
                        WD – Wilson
                        GD – Hinchcliffe
                        GK – Sterling

POTY – Austin

Participant

Player of the year: Latty Wilson

GS: RAG
                          GA: Austin
                          WA: Watson (stats over Horjus)
                          C: Moloney
                          WD: Wilson
                          GD: Aryang but so hard to pick
                          GK: Sterling-Humphries

Reserve (hehe): Horjus

moley02
                          Participant

GS – JFR
                            GA – Austin
                            WA – Horjus
                            C – Moloney
                            WD – Wilson
                            GD – Mannix
                            GK – Sterling-Humphries

Player of the Year – Wilson

slickbackblondebun
                            Participant

MVP: I would choose Shamera, but Latty Wilson pushed the fear in teams mid court. Before it even got to Shammy. So Wilson.

GS: RAG
                              She stood tall when it mattered (won the premiership) and the last time Tbirds played Fever she scored more than JFN and Tbirds won.
                              GA: K Austin
                              WA: G Horjus
                              C: T Williams
                              She had a bad C game in the grand final, but she had a great season and has great defence play who works well with Wilson.
                              WD: L Wilson
                              GK: Sterling- Humphrey

TB
                              Participant

Love the name @slickbackblondebun 🙌😂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              Go to Top