2025 ANZ PREMIERSHIP

2025 ANZ PREMIERSHIP2024-08-05T11:37:47+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 348 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Poi leaving Tactix????? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I just can’t

WeWood
      Participant

Perhaps we might see Sinclair converted to a full time C so Lokotui is retained as well at WD?

TB
        Participant

Did not see that coming. I would have thought Poi would have tried her luck back in the SSN?
          I also wonder if her and Donna Wilkins don’t click? Seems really odd to be captain, and then decide to head down the road to join a very unsuccessful team (respectfully) 🤷‍♂️

Nesian
          Participant

@TB It’s not that deep. It was more of a case of being offered a lot more money than the Tactix were prepared to pay her.

thunder123
            Participant

Is there still tiers in place for NZ?
              Presumably she’d be a tier 1 at the Steel.
              Thinking then Burger and ?? Would be tier 1

WeWood
              Participant

That suggests to me salary cap has opened up at the Steel because 1x Kate Heffernan is on the move? And you would think the other Tier 1 spot will be protected for a front line shooter?

mcleod
                Participant

I always thought Poi could move to a different team eventually, but Steel was not one I thought off, bit of a strange move especially if she is going to play WA

TB
                  Participant

@Nesian I always take it to that next level, over-think everything 😂

I really hope they’ve secured themselves a strong shooter. If our talent is spread out across the 6 teams, we should have a very competitive competition next year.

I actually like the idea of the tier system, but it doesn’t seem to work as intended. The same two teams have dominated for the past 6 years.

mcleod
                      Participant

Bit like the NRL, they have a salary cap, but it’s the same teams that are near the bottom each year, and usually the same at the top.

Maryann
                        Participant

They’d be nuts to re-sign Fisher so that should free up $$$.

Paul2020
                          Participant

Money talks but there must be other factors in deciding where to play – I.e. building connections with top players, family/friend support, other employment/study opportunities…

Welcome to Steel, Kimiora! Hope Kate will stay on too, though wouldn’t begrudge her taking a shot at SSN, if there’s an opportunity 👏

Wonder who their signed shooter is…

Nesian
                            Participant

@TB easy to do :-D. It’s easy to think that with a new incoming coach and then all of a sudden there are departures that they might not get on with the coach. If anything, having Wilkins as coach probably made leaving even harder, as all the feedback I heard around her input at the Tactix was positive. And yes, the Steel have got themselves a good shooter for next year.

The tier system is an interesting one. As of a couple of seasons ago the highest paid netballer in the country was only tier 2 or 3. I can’t quite remember. There are non playing agreements that are utilised in addition to third party agreements which can easily see these lower tier players earning more than tier 1 players. Then outside of that, agents might find additional people who want to help plyers stay in certain teams.

I think the tier system does an ok job. If you look at the Pulse and Mystics, they each had 5-6 Ferns on their roster each. That’s probably the deciding factor in their success more than the tier system. Steel had all of two players, the Heffernans.

@Paul2020
                              Normally there are other considerations when looking at moving teams, but because no one knows what is going to happen past season 2025, I think it would be foolish to leave a large amount of money on the table when one is offered it. These ladies don’t get paid that well to be fair. If you are a top level Fern then yes you are probably earning over $100k, but that is a very select few. If you are outside of the Ferns frame then your income is decidedly average, especially if you are a lower tier player.

I’m hoping that Sky will reallocate the money back that they cut from netball but I don’t think they will. They made it quite clear that they want to have the best women’s Basketball league in the world. Personally I don’t think they will get there but I guess it’s another opportunity for women’s sport.

Maryann
                              Participant

Mila Reulu Buchanan re-signed with the Stars.

mcleod
                                Participant

Basketball!!!!. NZ is horribly average, not even remotely close to qualifying for the Olympics.
                                  Yes there are large numbers of teenagers who get gigs in the American College system, but it’s very easy to get in one over there, especially for females, as the Colleges MUST give out the same amount of scholarships for male and female.

Maybe TVNZ might come to the party for Netball 2026 onwards, SKY is on the way out anyway.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 348 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top