2024/25 Silver Ferns Squad

2024/25 Silver Ferns Squad2024-08-22T11:45:40+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Participant

My 2c worth is Taurua basically using the TJ Series to experiment and then the ability to name a new squad for Constellation Cup.

I am intrigued and concerned in equal measure that Wilson appears to be our back-up GA but also remind myself that Georgia Heffernan was taken as a training partner to Nations Cup and then started against the Diamonds. So I don’t think the door’s shut on anyone just yet.

I don’t mind O’Brien but I think a midcourt foursome of Gordon, Heffernan, Poi and Souness is balanced. I’m wondering if Gordon at WA and Souness at C is a line we could see running, like the ANZP Grand Final.

Re defence, you’d start Burger with Jury but I hope Mason gets good court time. Excited by her addition. Sad for Takarangi as thought she played her best netball this year. I don’t expect Mikaere to make a match day 12..

mcleod
      Participant

Perhaps G Heffernan failed the fitness test, as her extreme lack of effort on defence showed, or was it more of can’t be bothered. Anyway clearly something was wrong at the trial, to go from playing fast 5 last year, then playing for Ferns this year, to not being wanted at all tells me there is more to it.

StatsNerd21
        Participant

One insta comment says Takarangi got 19.1 for the yoyo. Didn’t include a source though so who knows if that’s true.

I can’t see GH failing fitness, but definitely agree that something’s gone very wrong there.

silverferns1
          Participant

G Heffernans’ omission is valid, I can’t see why it’s not. Only 3 shooters for Fast 5, yikes!

According to RNZ, Peta has one last final chance at the December camp to prove her fitness. I would’ve liked to have seen Mikaere against England. Doubt she’ll get a run against Aussie. Her physicality is needed to rile up her opponents. Jackson doesn’t have that mongrel inside her to get under her shooters’ skin which is needed.

mcleod
            Participant

3 shooters is fairly normal for fast 5, they usually take 4 C’s and 3 defenders

silverferns1
              Participant

4 shooters in 2023&2022. Aus are taking 4 this year.

Waylay
                Participant

Yep teams always take 4 shooters to Fast 5. You don’t need more than 3 C’s.

The fast 5 team is very GD heavy. It’s an interesting choice of players.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Waylay.
                  Kwkiwi
                  Participant

I fail to see the point in including Mikaere, now 36, and Wilson. We know what they can and can’t do. If Taurua were looking to rebuild she would have been better off including Stythe and Salmon with a view to the future. Even if they aren’t quite at the fitness level she demands surely it would be better to have them inside the camp and have trainers working on their fitness. We know what Mikaere can do, just a slower version of Karaka and ineffective at international level.

It seems to me also to be a particularly cruel process that Taurua puts Toeava through at this Time of the year. She’s one of the best WA in our league every year. Saying she’s not fit to run out a who,s game is a moot point because hardly any players will be staying on a whole game except Nweke, Ekenasio and maybe Jackson.

The English series is not really going to tell us much about where the Ferns are at unless they send out ALL their top line players. The Aussie series is the only series that will interest me. With a full strength ferns squad with Nweke there the English will have no show. Their defenders won’t be tall enough for Nweke.

The development squad seems like a waste of time for most players. I wouldn’t be putting myself forward for it if I were a fringe player if it were to the detriment of my career and pursuits outside netball. I’m guessing these players get some sort of nominal payment from NNZ/nz high performance sport to keep them there as the practice squad and provide game content for NNZ’s sky commitments.

mcleod
                      Participant

But remember Kiwikiwi Noels has her list of friends.

Jinxibo
                        Participant

@Kwkiwi, are you alright? 🤔
                          -someone posted an interview on the SF trialist thread where DNT explains why Aunty E got selected
                          -IMO Karaka can be blow hot & cold in her play but calling her “ineffective” is just rude
                          -DNT is not being cruel to Peta, all netballers know DNT insists on the fitness standards and they should be well aware of when they take place, if Peta wants to make the squad, she knows what she needs to do
                          -if you check the EN website you’ll see that the Roses are bringing most of their top players and yes we are bringing a tall GK. As I recall the Roses won the last encounter so there are insights to be gained for the Ferns
                          -the development squad does what it says on the tin, it’s there to develop players and help them reach their full potential. If they don’t want to step up they don’t have too.

Are you really sure you wouldn’t part of the development squad?? It says a lot about your desire to wear the black dress 😕

Jinxibo
                          Participant

Oh re the fast 5 ferns…YMD is the coach so I’m assuming she was involved in the selection

TB
                            Participant

I don’t mind the squad that’s been selected. At first I was really disappointed, annoyed and borderline angry 😂 But knowing now that the development squad are those that didn’t hit the fitness targets, the Ferns squad selected makes sense.

I think Erena is there to be a direct swap out if anything was to happen to Kelly Jackson. The four defenders to be picked for games I think will be Jackson, Karaka, Burger & Burley. Mason to be a direct swap out for Burger or Burley.

I’m interested to see how COB will go. She has a connection with both Ekenasio and Nweke. I’m hoping she gets a start and hopefully push for a full game (if playing well), to see how she goes.

I honestly can’t see too much rotation happening in the shooting circle. Especially if games are close. I think we may see Walmsley introduced if we are leading by a lot, or maybe in the final game if we have won the series already 🤷‍♂️

mcleod
                              Participant

Surely Meels is not going to play every minute of the 7 tests. I fully expect another GA to pop up for the CC games, no offence to Maia but I’d rather not have her at GA.

TB
                                Participant

Why wouldn’t you expect her to play every minute?
                                  Hasn’t Kate Heffernan pretty much played every game she’s been in? Maybe a game or two where she got benched for a quarter or 2?

Injecting Maia for a quarter, to give Meels a rest won’t hurt. Otherwise I’m fully expecting Ekenasio to run out every game she can.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 66 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top