2024/25 Silver Ferns Squad

2024/25 Silver Ferns Squad2024-08-22T11:45:40+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Participant

That’s good to hear especially re Ekenasio. She’s still playing 1st class netball. I selfishly don’t like it when netballers retire when they are still at their peak, or letting their age determine their retirement. IVD played in her 40s at the top

Kwkiwi
      Participant

@jinxibo I stand corrected. I checked the roses website and see they are sending out a strong squad especially if Cardwell and Housby are coming. Should be an interesting series.

Nb I was referring to Mikaere being slow, not Karaka. May depend on how much contact and trash talk the umpires let people get way with as to how effective Mikaere would be. Just saying.

Baller
        Participant

Cardwell won’t be playing the NZ leg.

Yes, Cardwell is only playing the Australian tests.

museboy
            Participant

Interesting to see if Noels will run Nweke for all/most games or try to blood a new GS for next year. I can see her doing the former so she can distance herself from the inevitable losses next year.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by museboy.
              • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by museboy.
              TB
              Participant

I think she’ll run her in every game. DNT needs wins, she only has 2 years to impress right? Or do we think that’s just NNZ saying it, to save their backs for reinstating her?

Also if we dominate in these next two series with Nweke. Come next year, without her, it’ll still be in the back of all opposition minds how much of a threat she is. Add in, she’ll only get stronger playing in the SSN.

mcleod
                Participant

We had Nweke for the Quad series this year, still lost 2 games, and bumbled past Uganda.
                  Ekenasio didn’t play, so IMO that’s the reason we lost. That and a misfiring out of position mid court

TB
                  Participant

@mcleod we only lost by a couple, it was nothing crazy. Can easily be turned around.

Listened to the latest Inside Netball podcast. Where the topic was the SF Squads. Adine and Anna Stanley were both very disappointed that Peta Toeava didn’t even make the squad. Both saying that DNT needs to rethink some of these fitness standards.
                    Some valid points they made, saying there’s no one else in the midcourt that has the power, strength and precision of the pass like Toeava.

Anna could understand both sides of the decision. Her main thing is how are these girls not hitting the bench mark? She did question the S&C coaches at franchise level, asking are they doing enough? And that they also (or do they) need to be held more accountable?

IMO 16.2 (although on the podcast they said 16.8) is not that high. I am somewhat baffled that there’s players in the ANZP that can’t hit that 🤷‍♂️

Adine feels there’s more behind-the-scenes to it. I listened to an old podcast with Rob Wright (Coco & CBass hosts). He was asked to name the best player he’s coached in each position. The WA he couldn’t split between Kim Green and Peta Toeava. He said she has one of the best brains in the business. I do wonder if that clashes with DNT, cause that’s also what she’s known for too?
                    DNT was interviewed and asked the same question. Her choice was Gina Crampton. She likes and rates safe.

silverferns1
                    Participant

If Noeline doesn’t win the TJT and at least tie the CC series, she needs to go. I don’t know any other coach who has had more chances than she has had in any other sport. Yes you can blame the ANZP for the ferns failures, but her choices are more bizzare than anything.

I’m not sure what was worse, Jury at WD or running Poi at WA and Souness at C in CC 22’.

mcleod
                      Participant

I totally agree with you silverferns1, Ferns need to win the TJ 3-0 and if the Diamonds don’t have Weston and Bruce for the CC, then Ferns should really be winning that 4-0 or no worse than 3-1.

The fact that Noels still has her job, to me shows she has Netball NZ under some sort of trance.

silverferns1
                        Participant

Yep, one of the other reasons why the ferns didn’t win the CC 22’ was because Weston was brought back into the side for the Australian leg.

Jinxibo
                          Participant

Win the TJ series 3-0 really 🤨🤨

Ferns won the last series 2-1 and I think it will be the same this time.

Don’t forget the Roses won the last meeting of these teams. Ferns were without Eke but the Roses were without Mentor. This time you will have Eke and the Roses won’t have Cardwell. Both teams will have the same defence from the last encounter.

The TJ will be a genuine test for both teams

TB
                            Participant

Weston not being there will have more of an impact than Bruce not being there. I think Ervin or Ellis will really trouble Nweke (happy for her to prove me wrong).

Id have to argue that the reason we lost the CC 22’ was mainly because Toeava was not there. Weston definitely had an impact, but it was so obvious how big of a hole was left when Toeava wasn’t there. TBH our midcourt has not looked that good since the first 2 games of that CC series. There has not been one WA that has stood up and claimed that position. Cause if there had been, we wouldn’t be still calling for Toeava to be back in the team.
                              Souness, Crampton, Gordon, Poi or MRB have not stood out and showed without a question that they are the best WA “we don’t need Toeava” – so to speak. Out of that pack Souness would be 1st choice.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by TB.
                              mcleod
                              Participant

Unless there is a change of coach. Peta won’t be a Fern again.

WeWood
                                Participant

I listened to the Inside Netball podcast this morning where there was lots of debate about the yoyo.

Anna Stanley said up to 15 it’s basically a jog. Her and Adine then said conflicting things about the target (one said 16.2, the other 16.8).

For anyone with knowledge of the yoyo, is the measure really that hard for a semi-professional netballer?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top