2024 CONSTELLATION CUP – AUS v NZ (October)

2024 CONSTELLATION CUP – AUS v NZ (October)2024-09-26T11:15:06+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    Participant

It was amazing to see everyone smiling and cheering on their feet and waving the towels and that was just the bench of the silver ferns!! Loved it! Fantastic result. Bring on Auckland!!

Kwkiwi
      Participant

Well done to the Ferns. Good win. Got all the 50-50 ball and looked like they wanted it more. With Nweke there, and Ekenasio as well as Jury down the other end the ferns will be hard to beat. Will be interesting to see if they are consistent enough to repeat that performance.
        Haven’t seen the diamonds play so badly. Their shooting let them down and Bruce couldn’t do much against Nweke.

tasman
        Participant

Gordon a well deserved MVP. I think Poi and Eke had moments of being on top of each other in the same space but fortunately the high ball went in to Nweke at those times and landed. That was Heffernan’s best game of 2024 i reckon. Burger a major pest, would like to see her tidy up some of the soft penalties. Jackson amazing and nice to see her very clean this game.

I agree that Garbin wasn’t the problem but i think Koenan plays better on Jackson than Garbin does. Austin will come back stronger from this forgettable game. Dwyer moved well, needs more time at this level. Watson kept quiet by her standards. Price was solid but couldn’t do much on her own. I liked Aryang in WD/GD – didn’t get enough time to see what impact she could have had though. Bruce, Weston and Klau had little impact today. Should have brought Ervin over i reckon. Don’t think we’ll see Horjus – imagine Jackson’s arms over her shot!

silverferns1
            Participant

I’m glad Taurua listened to my lineup if Parris was out hahaha. Burger matched Austin for speed but at times was too casual for me, especially in that circle where she wouldn’t even bother to apply pressure to the shooter. And Kate Heffernan at WD always matches well up against Watson. Jury was great but at times was guilty of not having her eyes up and playing what’s in front of her and not getting those rebounds.

NB12
              Participant

I am actually quite keen to see what Horjus could do at both WA and GA. She is a smart player and quite powerful but unassuming.

GA wise, let’s remember she has trained against Wilson, Sterling and Garrett for a few seasons. She has some tricks up her sleeve.

mcleod
                Participant

Just 10 turnovers, massive improvement from the England series.

Baller
                  Participant

Highly entertaining game to watch last night. Previously the SF have been guilty of being too slow in finding their rhythm. The whole team was fired up and in the zone

Very much looking forward to seeing how this series plays out. Certain matchups will critical in gaining advantages.

benmac4
                    Participant

A potbetially much needed wake up call for Australia

I am still worried that we aren’t giving enough experience to our attackers

The reliance on Kiera Austin is worrying if she gets injured we are screwedz and if she gets outplayed we only have Dwyer who has some experience as our next GA

Need to be more willing to lose games by trying out new combos. Cannot fathom the decision to leave Ervin and rude Ellis out and chuck Bruce back in

Bruce clearly been working through injuries throughout the year give her more time to work on her fitness and give some new girls experience

schmeetle
                      Participant

The greedy Kelpies used up all the Australian goals 😭
                        😂

museboy
                        Participant

The improvement from the Ferns was most noticeable in two areas:
                          – not afraid of passing to Poi, even if she was marked! This really unclogged the midcourt, allowed more time for decision making and consequently less panicked play/turnovers. Comes down to self-belief and trusting each other.
                          – considered feeding of Nweke, taking advantage of poor body placement from Bruce

The reduced turnover count was most pleasing. I have not seen the Ferns close to 10 turnovers for a while, especially after conceding more turnovers against the Roses despite beating them. The style of play also expressed some dominance, which I didn’t see from the Ferns during the World Cup (even before Nweke was injured).

Australia’s didn’t play too badly but were just flat and were missing a change-up at GK. Next game, they will be more physical in the midcourt so the Ferns will need to grind out the next win.

• This reply was modified 22 hours, 34 minutes ago by museboy.
                          RMB
                          Participant

after the UK performance i was a bit hesitant to watch but whatever the Dame said to them they must of taken it on board, i havent seen her smile like that in a while.
                            Gordon had Langman vibes long may it continue, even as a Poi fan i screwed up my face at her as WA but like the commentators said that was her best game in the black dress, same for Heffernan. Bruce had little impact on Nweke

The aussies will no doubt come back fighting but i really do hope the girls take the cup they need some silverwear after the last couple of years…

• This reply was modified 22 hours, 18 minutes ago by RMB.
                            museboy
                            Participant

Also, the Fox commentators hinted that the turnaround in the midcourt was due to Akle’s influence, however I’m pretty sure Akle was there for the TJ series as well.

TB
                              Participant

The major difference I saw, was how dominant our midcourt were. This is an area that let us down against England. It’s definitely the best I’ve seen it, since the 2022 CC series (first 2 games).
                                I am so happy that Poi got a chance to show what she can really do. Like others on here, I was surprised to see her get the start. She did her job and did dam good too!
                                I think Kate Heffernan came out with a point to prove, especially being benched for that final game against England. I do wonder if this was the back-end DNT would have ran if Paris Mason was there? Or did her injury force her to go with this? Either way, it worked in their favour.

Gordon was outstanding. I seen some comments saying she was very “Langman-like”. I actually thought she was both Langman and Toeava like. She connected really well with Nweke, I’m going to say this performance put her right up there with Toeava. Hopefully she can back this up (which I think she can).

I’ve been very critical of Ekenasio, especially in that England series. She really stood up, putting up some beautiful long bombs. Worked in well with Poi, and was great support for Nweke.

Really loved the embrace with Poi and Richo after the game. Also loved Cat Tuivaiti’s commentating, I thought her and Coxy worked off each other really well.

Should Wallam have been there? I think she could have been the point of difference that Aus needed 🤷‍♂️

schmeetle
                                Participant

I’m wondering if we are going to see Wallam in the Diamonds dress again (hope I’m wrong).
                                  Not being at the Diamonds media day (choosing to be with the QLD team training camp for the Indigenous tournament) and not a single Diamonds related social media post during the Diamonds international season when all the rest of the squad including players not chosen for teams and games are posting messages of support.
                                  Something’s NQR 🤷‍♀️

• This reply was modified 13 hours, 45 minutes ago by schmeetle.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 92 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top