2024 SSN GRAND FINAL – THUNDERBIRDS v VIXENS

2024 SSN GRAND FINAL – THUNDERBIRDS v VIXENS2024-07-31T18:04:28+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Participant

RAG has been rock solid this year. I’m not a huge fan but she has been pretty unflappable. I actually think her time at the Swifts helped take her game to the next level, her shot has looked so much better the last couple of years.

Muffie
      Participant

It always helps to have a super tall GS. When in trouble lob, get a rebound. All players in the SSN are talented, but it is too much an advantage.

D-fencr
        Participant

Tbirds managed to win last year without a super tall target GS. It helps of course, but it isn’t everything.

RAG has always had a dodgy shot and it’s to her credit she’s been so successful in spite of it. She’s a legend of our game. Will be very interested if Tbirds keep her on next year – I hope they do.

benmac4
              Participant

Was a factor all season but especially so in the grand final

Umpires need to look at and clarify what held ball timing is for shooters

Lots of the tall holding shooters get balls lobbed in that they have to take them pivot and step in then shoot

If we are counting 3 seconds from when the ball first is controlled by players Fowler wallam and Aiken George all would have many held balls as they often take the ball (under pressure take a second or two to compose and put themselves in a position to score then take another second or two to score often meaning they’ve held the ball for 4-5 seconds

Regarding Aiken-George being player of the match, I don’t actually think her play was outstanding compared to some others on the day. BUT… she dominated that position. Vixens had an answer for basically every other part of the game. But they didn’t have any answer to Romelda. Vixens tried both Ellis and Mannix on Romelda and neither really had any impact.

thunder123
                      Participant

If I was Tbirds, I’d keep Romelda, if she was willing to keep playing. Don’t believe Austin is up to starting GS. If they want to take a development route then sure, but I’m sure Romelda is great for the young tbirds side.

thunder123
                        Participant

Surprised vixens didn’t try Mannix GD with Ellis in GK. They played majority of the year like this due to injuries.

Or maybe even switch Weston & Eddy around. Give that a try.

TB
                            Participant

@benmac4 that has been happening all season. To all-of-a-sudden change it just because it’s a GF, is not fair to the players. Had it been called all season, players would have adjusted.

@Ian
                              I agree in switching Eddy/Weston around. I was hoping for it to happen, cause as versatile Horjus is, so is Eddy. She matched up really well on her. Eddy just missed out on my “Team of the year” – had she not had so much time off, she would have been my WD with Latanya Wilson at GD.

Re RAG: she didn’t get flustered by Ellis like how JFN did. Ellis really got into JFN head, which you rarely ever see any emotion from her.
                              I’m sure it’s something RAG studied in that semi. But it also highlights RAGs experience in big games. I loved how she referenced the Fbirds/Swifts GF, and was able to draw on that experience to help her push through. People just talk about height with her like it’s the only thing she has going. Don’t get me wrong it’s a MASSIVE advantage, but it doesn’t guarantee success. She elevates other people’s game. She did it last year with Swifts, and again with Tbirds.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by TB.
                              benmac4
                              Participant

@TB agreed i meant it should be looked at over the off season for next year.

D-fencr
                                Participant

I would only have swapped Eddy and Weston when Horjus went to GA.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top