2024 SSN SIGNING AND TEAM NEWS

2024 SSN SIGNING AND TEAM NEWS2024-01-16T23:08:11+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 931 through 945 (of 1,012 total)
  • Author

Tully
        Participant

I’m intrigued to hear people’s thoughts on the prospects of Mavs in 2024. Seems they are rated very highly with a lot expecting them to play finals.

But they won’t have their full squad together for the first time till after NNC in February. Then pre season matches in March and the season commencement in April. That’s not a lot of time to create team culture and rapport.

You look at Swifts who are always hanging out together building bonds or doing fitness work. Then Vixens are off doing full team (including TPs but ex MJ) cross fit sessions, having Vixmas and going to the movies and dinner etc. Thunderbirds always seem to be together as well.

Under pressure familiarity and bonds are important. Apart from the weaknesses in their 10 I fear they don’t have enough time to build culture and rapport.

sarahk90
          Participant

I’m very interested to see how Mavericks go. Defence might be their weakest point in my opinion. All three were bench or impact players with Moore and Jenner especially seeing quite limited court time recently. I think Cardwell and Glasgow will gel more easily considering they’re playing for the Roses together, but not sure how Sinclair will get in the mix

capsule
            Participant

It’s an interesting question, Tully. I think Mavs have done very well to get Shae Brown, Tracey Neville and Nicole Richardson on board. If we think back to SCL’s start, having DNT and Kylee Byrne went a long way to creating a successful culture. But I suppose in that group they had some existing connections and great leaders. Not sure who steps up in the Mavericks. I would like to see Amy Parmenter involved in a leadership role. She seems to have done really well with getting players involved in her Tie Dye Project.

Culture aside though, I’m not so convinced they have the squad to make finals in the first year. There are some very strong teams in the competition, and even the teams most affected by changes have done well with their signings.

al_ex
              Participant

I think Mavericks will struggle for consistency but will get some big wins, especially at the beginning of the season when teams haven’t really worked out that attack end. They have enormous super shot potential and I think Fraser is such a safe pair of hands at WA for them. Their defence end will start to get exposed though as teams work them out. All very flashy players but can be expensive and a lot of teams will work them out. Jenner and Moore have both had seasons were they were breakouts for the first 6 rounds or so before fading, and I think that may happen again. 5th or 6th place finish for them in my eyes.

Tully
                Participant

I think 6th would be a wonderful result for Mavs in their first year. I’m interested who you have finishing lower al_ex?

I agree they have some possible defensive deficiencies. Not just playing styles but they also lack height, a bit like Giants of the last few years. Height isn’t everything but it does matter. Super shots will get them some wins. Again a bit Giantesque in that regard.

sarahk90
                  Participant

It will be interesting to see how Glasgow’s super shot confidence goes without the tall GS rebounder there in case of misses

I really hope she does well for them, but Shimona Nelson is very unlucky I think.

sarahk90
                        Participant

I think they didn’t go for Shimona because they’re banking on Lucy as their GS in the long term – although the one year contract for her makes me question that theory

D-fencr
                          Participant

We don’t know if the one year for Austin was her choice or Tbirds choice. If she gets less court time in favour of Romelda I’m sure other teams would be interested in her. That said I think a year of working alongside Romelda will do wonders for her.

TB
                            Participant

@Tully I think Mavs could be a dark horse in the race. On paper, like everyone has said, their defence looks on the weak side. There are players that haven’t had the time to really build and shine. I feel that comes with consistent court time. The 3 defenders have come from being bench players, now with the opportunity to be a regular starter.
                              I think they have a really exciting midcourt and I’m looking forward to seeing them gel.

If we look back to the beginning of the Magpies days. They had on paper, the best team in the league. And they never really lived up to all the hype.

I also think Cardwell brings a lot of confidence into a team. Players around her really step up their game. I feel she’ll be key to their success.

al_ex
                                Participant

@Tully my preliminary guesses would be Giants and Firebirds, but I think next season’s comp will be very close. The only team I am confident will make finals is the Swifts.

I will never understand how Nelson didn’t get a contract for next year. Completely unfathomable. Hopefully she keeps going with netball and can get a contract in 2025. I would love the Swifts to have her on in some capacity as Wallace comes back, but not sure if that will be possible as an import.

Viewing 15 posts - 931 through 945 (of 1,012 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top