2024 SSN SIGNING AND TEAM NEWS

2024 SSN SIGNING AND TEAM NEWS2024-01-16T23:08:11+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 946 through 960 (of 1,012 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I agree I think the comp is going to be extremely close. Some very good teams. I’d put Swifts as favourites but not by a lot. Even they have questions to answer (how will Wallace come back? How do they solve WD without Fraser who was outstanding at the end of the season? Does Smith stand up or Turner move there and TOS get a starting spot?).

The only things I’m confident about is the best defensive teams will stand up and teams with 3 strong (or experienced) shooters have a massive advantage.

sarahk90
                Participant

Do Proud Hadley or LGB play WD? I think I’ve only seen the three of them in C or WA

Tully
                  Participant

Proud and Hadley can definitely play WD. Proud played it a lot as a young player pre Swifts. Hadley has played WD for Swifts and I’m fairly sure Australia, maybe at the 2019 WC. I wouldn’t put LGB there.

In saying that I expect Smith will get first crack at it. But my starting team would have Turner at WD with TOS at GD. I’d leave Proud and Hadley to run at WA and C.

al_ex
                    Participant

Yeah Proud played a bit of WD when Wright was coaching and did a pretty great job I think. Akle prefers Hadley there but I think the Swifts need Hadley in attack, she combines so well with Housby and is a calmer, more experienced head. But realistically I think we’ll see Smith and Turner there first.

Hopefully TOS builds her GD game. I love the impact she brings but Klau is never as strong out at GD. By the end of the season I’d like to see TOS/Klau be the starting circle. Hopefully Smith has an injury-free season and can finally start building. At her best she is world class, but has lacked consistency in the red dress.

I love Gorman-Brown. So happy she got a contract. She’s grown in leaps and bounds over the past year. Hopefully Swifts don’t lose her like they did Fraser, who I think will excel for Mavericks. If the Swifts and Giants just traded over some of their attacking and defensive midcourters both teams would be in a great position to make finals.

Tully
                      Participant

TOS / Klau would be my circle combination. I was impressed by TOS at GD at Fast 5 so would expect she would grow into the position at SSN given the chance to do so. I too would leave Klau where she is best, at GK.

I thought Smith was on the fast track to Diamonds after 2020 but has struggled with injuries and consistency since. She can definitely grow into one of the best WDs in the comp but I think I may have been a bit too quick with my Diamonds assessment, given their desire for a genuine second position and the emergence of Aryang as the team’s Gd /WD. Smith is a wonderful leader and could be a future Swifts captain.

I was surprised to read Gorman Brown is 24. Same age as Fraser. I’d be surprised if she left Swifts. There are so many brilliant and emerging midcourters in Australia making it incredibly difficult to get a contract. Annie Miller being the prime example. The only team I can think of that might chase her would be TBirds when Scherian retires.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 4 weeks ago by Tully.
                        Tully
                        Participant

In saying that sometimes you can’t keep them all regardless of how good they are. That’s how Vixens lost Smith. Eddy was ahead of her and Mundy emerged far quicker than anticipated (she didn’t play in 2020 due to lockdowns and no VNL or ANL) taking a midcourt spot.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 4 weeks ago by Tully.
                          tina_138
                          Participant

Do we know how long the Mavericks girls are contracted for?

schmeetle
                            Participant

So, it’s probably hidden in the 64 pages of this thread, however is it confirmed that Chelsea Pitman will be a TP with Giants?

Maryann
                              Participant

@schmeetle – I don’t think so 🙂

No, we’ll have to wait and see who the TPs are. Still thinking about that interview that Pitman did with someone in England (I think) during the height of the contract standoff where she said she had an SSN team lined up but had to wait for everything to get sorted. I assumed she meant she was going to be part of the 10 at the time, and there were certainly rumours about her being signed, but it didn’t happen.

Viewing 15 posts - 946 through 960 (of 1,012 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top