A bit about yourself

A bit about yourself2024-10-10T10:39:16+10:00
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hey, it’s been a while since we did this. The forum isn’t as popular as it used to be, but we’ve got a few new members on here, so it would be good if people could tell us a bit about themselves. You don’t have to give much away; it’s mostly about your netball history. What got you interested, do you play, how long have you been playing, what position, favourite players, favourite teams, favourite matches, that sort of thing.

Maryann
      Participant

Nothing much interesting about me. From NZ, grew up in ChCh watching the Flames and followed Julie Seymour right through her career. Played netball (C) at Primary and Intermediate then apart from following teams and players did nothing (I was an avid equestrian) until my two daughters started playing at Primary. I became involved with coaching their teams and umpired for them up to when my daughter reached Y9 -she became disillusioned and stopped – and then coached various school teams for a further six years. Now in Auckland, for 25yrs, I follow and support both the Mystics (was a volunteer pre Covid) and Tactix. I enjoy watching a good but fairly clean tussle on the netball court (skills over biff) and keep up to date as much as I can with SSN and SNL. I travel a bit to Tasmania and would love to actually be there when there is a SSN game on.

Kerryn
        Participant

born and bred in the Waikato, can’t remember not being round netball (my mother was deeply involved – I was born Christmas eve, so fairly sure she played both seasons either side lol) played for the first time at 6 (starting age at the time was 8) when I filled in for my sisters team as I was already the same height as them, and then started playing full time at 7, was a shooter pretty much from day 1, played age group reps at my local club, and then Waikato from U17’s (played with Laura Langman and her sister Jess for a year) through to u21’s. played prem at club level for a number of years, then dropped down a level for a few years, then ended up playing ‘competitively social’ which was great because I could play like rubbish and they still thought I was wonderful lol unknowingly played my final game of netball at the end of 2020, as I dislocated and fractured my ankle the following Feb, I am hoping to play walking netball in the next few years after rehabbing upcoming shoulder surgery – my body is nearly 40 but my brain is still half that age lol my whole playing career (well from when I was about 12) I was known for just getting the ball and turning and shooting from where ever I was in the circle – which is why it pisses me off so much when people who are now being paid to shoot goals just won’t (and my most common phrase yelled at the tv during games is “shoot the f’ing ball” )

Always been a Waikato supporter, can remember when they were Wildcats, could almost say netball is like my religion (most of you on here will get that) watched every single ANZ and SSN game this year (something I can now do since my husband walked out a few years ago – subsequently during the week before my last game of netball mentioned above) definitely prefer the skill over the biff too, and hate that that is how netball is being taught now, sad really when you see school girls playing like they should be on a rugby/league field.

Most memorable game unfortunately is the 99 WNC final, along with the Comm games final when it went past over time in the 2 goals up scenario. but fav has to be when Magic won the ANZ Champs

(sorry I have a tendency to waffle on – my main conversation at the moment is with my cat, and she doesn’t talk netball very well lol)

mcleod
          Participant

I’m from Ashburton about 1hr from Christchurch, am a Tactix forever person. Brought up on a sheep farm, used to name the pet lambs after sports people, Davu and Irene ones that come to mind.
            2003 WC final is my happiest Netball moment, 2006 Com Games win a close 2nd.

Not a fan of the current Ferns coaching set up. Hopefully things will change.

Really hate seeing players played out of position.

Oh and I represented NZ in Golf for 5 years.

StatsNerd21
            Participant

I’m one of the younger members on here- started playing when I was 6 and I’m still playing in university. I’m a defender, usually GK but with a soft spot for WD- I’m not the most talented player but getting on court is the best feeling out there. I’m going to coach next year, which I’m looking forward to. My favourite netball moment has to be when I was one of the little kids that go out with the players and I got walk out with Laura Langman at a Diamonds game!

I only got into watching professional in 2021, I’d been to a few games with my team but I didn’t know much about it. All of a sudden I found SSN and the fantasy comp, and now I’m obsessed with any league I can find. As my name suggests I love the stats and analysis side of netball- I’ve created more than 150 analysis charts of SSN, ANZP, NSL and International stats, netball is LIFE which I’m sure you guys get! I’m so grateful to have found this forum of like-minded fans.

I’m a Fever fanatic courtesy of living in WA, and I quite like Swifts too. I’m a Magic fan for ANZP and a Pulse fan for NSL. Love Sunday Aryang and Sophie Garbin (among a heap of others) and my favourite player watch is (or maybe was) Gretel Bueta.

V_man
              Participant

Kia ora! Long time lurker here and have appreciated the many members who have posted over the years with viewpoints and opinions and the fun polls/questions that Ian and other moderators/admin have started.

I’m from Australia (originally from WA) but now living in Auckland/Tamaki Makaurau with my partner and greyhound. Loved watching netball on ABC in the late 90s and weirdly supported Adelaide (Ravens and T-birds) from the get go during the CBT. Was an outlier in some respects back then as I was a young boy/man interested in nettie when most of my classmates were into football/soccer.

I go to the Constellation Cup test in Auckland every year (and drag my partner along). Still support Adelaide and enjoy the flair/skills of the players in that team. Don’t watch SSN live/on the app as much as I used but did follow SSN games more religiously between 2018-2022 on my iPad on the Netball Live App when the T-birds really struggled (those were depressing years as a fan).

Have played a little bit of mix recently but haven’t gotten back into it mainly due to other work/life commitments and hobbies. Played D or C in indoor though my height held me back (I’m only 167cm LOL) but I made up for it with a decent vertical jump and stamina for tagging.

Favourite players (from past to current) and you will notice a Ravens or T-Birds theme 😉 : Jenny Borlase, Peta Scholz, Kath Harby Williams, Nat Avellino, Nat Von Bertouch, Nat Medhurst, Mo’onia Gerrard, Latty Wilson, Shamera Sterling-Humphries, Georgie Horjus. Living in NZ, I can’t go past Laura Langman and always felt that Maria Tutaia’s shooting was the barometer of whether the Ferns would beat Australia (or if Corletto or Geitz would shut her down). Met Casey Kopua once at the tennis and have to say she’s super lovely.

Favourite Diamonds moment – Diamonds winning the 2011 World Cup in overtime because this was the year I moved to NZ and was feeling home sick (and this was when Caitlin Bassett started establishing herself as the starting GS after coming on at half time after NZ defence was getting the better of Cox).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Go to Top