Leading Silver Ferns trio could bolster squad for January quad series

Leading Silver Ferns trio could bolster squad for January quad series2022-10-30T10:50:25+10:00
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Participant

In terms of the world cup squad, i think the attack and defence ends have been pretty much confirmed, bar injury, pregnancy or extraordinary change in form over the upcoming anz. For the midcourt, Crampton, Heffernan are a lock, and Souness is almost the same, but I’d say not quite a lock as I think she is still new to C and she didn’t quite show consistency over cwg and constellation cup. But she still showed moments of brilliance and with her ability to cover WA, she should get in the team.

The question is whether you take Toeava for extra WA cover, or Johnson for extra WD/GD cover. I think the ferns struggle more in attack than in defence and Crampton can go a bit missing, particularly with the hard 1-on-1 style of the Aussies. Toeava edges ahead in getting the 4th spot, for me. But i was really impressed by Johnson’s ability to spoil the opposition’s attacking flow, and her ability to quickly transition to attack, and get the ball up the court before the opposition defence could set up, was valuable. She is too similar to Burger though, so i think she is less likely to make it over Toeava. The bolter would be Gordon, and even less likely, MRB.

So for this quad series, i would pick:
      Nweke, Ekenasio, Wilson, TPSR
      Crampton, Toeava, Souness, Heffernan
      Jury, Karaka, Johnson. Then Burger or Watson but not both

I would then start:
      GS Nweke
      GA Ekenasio
      WA Toeava
      C Souness
      WD Johnson
      GD Burger (or Karaka if Burger absent)
      GK Jury (or Watson if selected)

I wanna see how Johnson plays with Burger out in GD.

Netballfan1
      Participant

Honestly Crampton is the only player I’m not that excited to see coming back. I think the midcourt shakeup for NZ is so good to see. I’d love to see Burger and Watson as a GK and GD combo at ferns level after their amazing season back in 2021 with the Tactix. I personally don’t see Metuarau making a Ferns level comeback any time soon. She didn’t impress me at all in Fast5 and looked fairly unfit, she also gave away multiple offensive contacts. I think it will be a struggle for Johnson to retain her place in the Ferns, but healthy competition for positions is super exciting

Danjamesnet
        Participant

I think NZ can afford to take two WA’s now with Burger and Karaka on the team, but I also think that they need to. My prediction for the team is that they will take Toeava and Crampton because the Silver Ferns now have become a feeding side. If they can feed Nweke they will be very hard to beat as their defensive end looks v strong from what we have seen. This then you would argue makes Toeava 1st choice WA because she can feed Nweke like no other. However, I’m unconvinced if she would be able to do the same for Wilson. This opens the door for Crampton.

Te Paea Selby-Rickit – GS,GA
          Maia Wilson – GS,GA
          Grace Nweke – GS,GA
          Ameliaranne Ekenasio – GA

Peta Toeava – WA
          Kate Heffernan – WD,C
          Whitney Souness – C,WA
          Gina Crampton – WA,C

Karin Burger – GD,WD,GK
          Kelly Jury – GK
          Phoenix Karaka – GD,WD
          Jane Watson – GK,GD

Maryann
          Participant

@Danjamesnet – Nweke is not a GA. She’s still learning GS at both domestic and international level. Ameliaranne is a GS/GA.

thunder123
            Participant

I think Toeava and Crampton should trial their C games as well as WA this upcoming season.
              Doesn’t need to be all the time but as an option to help them both for ferns selections.

tasman
              Participant

Kersten is a swap for Saunders – safe and steady. Although she is more a defensive C, having Toeava gives DNT her third WA option. Kirsten is the third C option behind Souness and Heffernan. If Toeava doesn’t impress in this series, DNT needs to know who to take instead. My guess is that DNT wasn’t sold on Poi or Gordon in the CC, so is looking at another back up in Kersten.

Very excited about the defensive options. Sulu has had a quiet year, but remember that she won the Dame Lois Muir player of the year in 2021. She can make a comeback, but i don’t know which of the other 4 defenders she would replace. It will just come down to form in the ANZ closer to the world champs. Sometimes players can have a meltdown, or good forbid, become injured, so i think it’s a good idea to have lots of options.

Can’t see the shooters change unless any of the 4 have a shocking ANZ.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Go to Top