Men’s teams to trial possible ANZP innovations

Men’s teams to trial possible ANZP innovations2024-07-04T15:54:33+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Netballfan1
      Participant

I wish there were TMO playbacks for contacts! Eg one contested call allowed per team per quarter

Wouldn’t really be a fan of that. I’d like to see video being used for contentious decisions regarding who the ball last touched. You see so many times when the players are sure that the throw in has been given to the wrong team, but they can’t do anything about it.

TB
            Participant

Running off @Ian and @Netballfan1 comments. I’d like to see (both ANZ and SSN), probably moreso in the the shooting circle, that whoever has the ball when being contacted has to take the penalty. No putting the ball down so your teammate can take it.

In the SSN I feel there’s been some really bad obstruction calls. Some of these players are like 5ft away. I reckon the captain should be able to go to the umpires at break time, and study the footage (playback) on the obstruction calls. Obviously there’d be no outcome for it, as in the call can’t be reversed. But it might make the umpire more aware?

museboy
              Participant

Did anyone watch the game? The 2PT shot range seems to be further than the SSN.

Baller
                Participant

I watched the game and enjoyed the 2 point shot. It added to the game without dominating team tactics and game strategy.

The 2 point range is definitely longer than in SSN. That’s where it should be! I’ve always thought that the super shot should be in play for the whole game, but it should be more difficult.

schmeetle
                    Participant

So the two-point shot is in play for the duration of the game?
                      Netball NZ should just surrender now and call it basketball.

Flb
                      Participant

I’m really not a fan of having the two point shot in play for the entire game. 5 minutes is enough per quarter for me.

I would hate to see in game video review. One of the things that I love about netball is that the game just keeps moving. It would also be so hard to figure out where to draw lines as to when or for what a review is allowed. There are so many decisions in every single game and there are always errors, how do you pick which ones are corrected?

I think the idea of having umpires review a particular snippet of footage in the very short break between quarters is unfair on the umpire. So a snippet might show that they got something wrong, which they cannot correct. Is that really useful when they’ve just made 15 minutes of decisions. It could make for all sorts of unwanted outcomes:
                        – undermining umpire confidence
                        – creating a particular element of the game that they are actively looking for, rather than calling the game as they see it
                        – creating an undue focus on a particular player
                        Also reviewing video footage from whatever camera angles are available is different to what the umpire sees from their perspective. The camera isn’t always the best view of what happens either.

I don’t necessarily object to the capacity for review if the umpire thinks a player should be sent off, but I am very hesitant about seeing it anywhere else.

Maryann
                        Participant

I watched the game, I was initially concerned with how the two pointer in play would affect flow and strategies. There had clearly been a lot of forethought put in by teams as to how they would play and it was a good game to watch.

Its the first time I have seen two teams of men play each other even though its not knew. What really struck me was how less crammed the centre court was during the game, the players movements were direct and smooth – no running around all over the court like the women’s game is.

mcleod
                          Participant

Sorry didn’t watch the game. I know Netball wants to try and get into the 2032 Brisbane Olympics.
                            But in order to be PC it seems that it needs to be a sport for both Female and Male.
                            Sadly I doubt Netball will get a big enough following for Men by then.
                            Olympics has Breakdancing in a few weeks, and for 2028 Cricket, Squash, Lacrosse, Flag Football??? and bringing back Softball/Baseball. So who knows maybe it could push it’s way in.

Kerryn
                            Participant

I thought the review at the end of quarters was only to question if the ball had left the shooters hands before time was up… but I could be mistaken.

I agree that it should just be at the end of each quarter, and with the distance being further out… I think all the NZ teams have good long range shooters – will be nice to see them utilising the ability a bit more (just like Tutaia used to, she would just turn and shoot – at this level they should all be able to do that)

Kwkiwi
                              Participant

I’d like to see a shot being allowed from outside the circle. So the WA & C could shoot. That would nullify the tall holding shooter advantage and make the game a lot more exciting. Especially in games where the scoreline is blowing out or where one team is so far behind it has no chance of catching up with just a one point shot.

mcleod
                                Participant

Why not let everyone have a go at shooting, mid court buzzer beater biffs. Hmmmm sounds like Basketball.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top