2024 Vitality Netball Nations Cup – Eng / Aus / NZ / Uga (Jan)

2024 Vitality Netball Nations Cup – Eng / Aus / NZ / Uga (Jan)2023-11-16T18:49:51+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 212 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I completely agree about Proud, she has been so unlucky at the Diamonds level. I feel a lot for Turner in this respect too. I also think it will be very tough for Parmenter, as good as she is, to ever crack Diamonds without being an international standard centre. I guess the other side is players get injured, retire etc so they may get a chance, but there is fantastic youth coming through too.

al_ex
      Participant

I think the only way we’ll see Parmenter in is if we have three players that can dominate WA/C and can’t really cover WD well. So basically Hadley and Watson keep going from strength to strength, Moloney drops out of form across C and WD and Price starts to focus more on WA. I could see Price playing some WA at Giants this season but it seems unlikely that all these things will happen, especially considering there’s been talk of more Eddy at GD (which implies Moloney at WD). Aryang is also looking set to play a lot more WD as well.

There was talk that Parmenter moved to Mavs because she wanted more C time, but that seems very odd given the way they’ve structured their teams. Unless they’re looking to pull Nankivell or Jovic back to WD (which are not their strongest positions), I don’t really see how Parmenter would get moved into the middle.

D-fencr
        Participant

I noticed Parmy playing attack in Mavericks training videos this week, Nankivell in defence. Nankivell did play very well in WD in the Tbirds finals campaign last year.

That some players in NZ live away from their club teams and limit their training with them feels unusual to me. It wouldn’t happen in Australia. Like Romelda and Scherian have moved (at least temporarily) to Adelaide to train/play full time.

al_ex
          Participant

Yeah I find it quite unprofessional. But to be fair to the players the ANZP is only really a semi-professional competition, so clubs can’t really have the same expectations of them as Australian clubs do.

TB
            Participant

Just watched the NZ/England game. That was a really good game. The defence of Jury, Karaka and Burger is our best lineup. I am glad Heffernan was replaced, as she was too loose on defence. Tayla Earle came on brilliantly. She has made a case for herself. Soft hands and some poor passing in the attack cost us the game. However I was still happy with the way we played. Amorangi did some great things, and she has so much room for growth. I hope she builds on this and really stamps her name in the Ferns team.
              Personally I don’t think there’s any room for MRB.

I don’t understand people calling for Karaka to go :scratch: I don’t like it when they start her at GK. She’s better when she starts at GD and then slides to GK.
              I didn’t realise how bad Burger is at bringing the ball down court. A lot of the times she doesn’t fully turn, and cuts off vision for herself.

All in all, I am happy with this team. I’m still calling for Toeava to be in there.

*During the Uganda game, the commentators were saying Liana Leota’s name is down on the list for the next SF coach. They did say that, that list is like 10 long. Wonder if she could be the black horse in the race? I wouldn’t be against it. I’d be happy with YMD or Bloxham too.

Morts
              Participant

Just finished watching the two finals games…

Pamela Cookey could be one of the worst commentators I’ve ever listened to. Australia up by 20, and still every good thing the diamonds do in defence is ‘the ball fell into Klau’s hands’. Or Housby misses a shot and ‘the umpires shouldn’t call advantage on the edge if the circle, penalise them so they know they’re wrong’. It was painful..

Why don’t the put Tamsin Greenway in for the play-by-play? Her analysis is great, give it to us live! Rather than the biased diatribe we’ve been subjected to to this entire series

Morts
                Participant

In terms of next gen diamonds, I would back Taylor Fraser to be a long term WA/C for the diamonds. Completely agree with everyone who said Proud was unlucky in her generation/era. But if Watson/Hadley got injured [touch wood this never happens] she is a ready made replacement.

schmeetle
                  Participant

@Morts thank you for your comments about the commentary for the Aus v Eng game – I was hoping it wasn’t just me that thought it was the most inane, useless commentary. I only got round to watching the game last night and jeez, the commentary was :negative: ; not only questioning totally correct umpires calls but also adding absolutely nothing to the televised game. It was hardly even ball-by-ball commentary. I have only watched the first Aus game vs NZ – it was Cat Tuivaiti commentating that game? First time I’ve heard her; think she did a good job, including a decent amount of insight to strategy and explaining certain set-ups / styles of play, a bit of humour/banter.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by schmeetle.
                    Flb
                    Participant

Fraser is an interesting one. I don’t think we’ve seen how good she can be as she has always been competing for opportunities with Proud and Hadley. Having said that, it has helped to make her a great player.

I also found the commentary horrendous. I know netball is a fast game, but she tends to miss a fair bit. And she always seems to be like this. And I’ve also enjoyed listening to Cat, unlike Cookey she gives credit where it is due.

I’ve been so impressed with the Diamonds the last few years. They’ve had so many big shoes to fill in this last cycle and they have managed to do it. It is incredible to think that in the cycle where Thwaites and Bassett retired and Bueta was unavailable for NWC they’ve managed to win both. That is without thinking about other areas of the court.

Also loved watching Malesala and hope she can really build from here. I love her long shot. I haven’t watched as much ANZP the last few seasons and I was pleasantly surprised to see how much Earle has come on.

Jinxibo
                      Participant

Commentary :wacko: love Cat, I hope they get her back for VNSL. It’s only a short hop from Italy.

Diamonds: I’m of the opinion some of this squad wouldn’t be at their prime for the next NWC? Am I wrong? Who are the next gen and why aren’t they in the squad now?

Ferns: I don’t think we can read too much into this series. It wasn’t the result DNT wanted so yhe question for me is what happens next. If she stays, her next squad will be interesting.

Amo and Taylor were good. So pleased for Amo IMO she has leap frogged Metaurua and GH as she goes to post more often.

The defence lacks consistency, they didn’t all play well at the same time. Intercepts were really low, does anyone have stats? I felt Burger wasn’t she usual dynamic self.

Roses: hmm, I agree with the comments about the shooters, JT is relying too heavily on Cardwell and HH. I expected more of an impact from Glasgow. However, I think we need a different type of shooter, small and nippy? Or some with extra game smarts.

The defence isn’t working for me, Raz can good and hopefully with a full season under he belt she’ll get sharper. I hope Harvey finds her old form.

She cranes: wow, I believe all they lost all of their fames by a smaller margin than SA. You gonna love Coach Fred :heart:

Flb
                        Participant

Regarding future Diamonds (and I presume you are talking mid court and defence as the shooting end is quite youthful): There are younger upcoming players in the Diamonds training environment, involved in camps etc, they also play in the best professional league in the world against very high quality opposition. Some are already in the Diamonds squad. The Diamonds approach to getting a test cap is very different. You really have to earn that spot in the 12 and caps aren’t given out lightly. A big contrast to how the roses approaches their NZ series last year.

Regarding the roses, while I think there is a lot of reliance on Cardwell and Housby, I think England was found wanting in the midcourt again. If England are going to keep playing Metcalf against Australia I don’t think it will work for them. I thought Glasgow did some good things, but needed to be more solid on the shot. She shoots so well from range too and I don’t think we saw that.

Morts
                            Participant

As a WA/C there is literally no one in SSN (not in the diamonds squad) who shows more promise than Taylor Fraser. Speed, strength, flair, accuracy on the feed. She will absolutely be the next attacking force in the diamonds. It just depends how long Watson and Hadley go on.. the crazy thing is, they might do the entire next 4 year cycle. If you’d said in in 2014 Paige Hadley was going to play in 4 World Cups everyone would have laughed at you. But she’s looking like doing it !

D-fencr
                              Participant

I have no concern about the Diamonds midcourt. Plenty of young prospects coming through – a future midcourt of Fraser, Williams, Mundy sounds great to me. Plenty of time for them to work into the squad and keep playing SSN.

The only position I’m a bit unsure about is GK. No idea what you’d do if both Bruce and Klau are out of action. Obviously that’s why they are working on Ervin and O’Shannassy.

Jinxibo
                                Participant

@Fib i think you’ll find a majority of players have to earn their places in International squads and no caps are given away lightly.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 212 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top