2024 SSN GRAND FINAL – THUNDERBIRDS v VIXENS

2024 SSN GRAND FINAL – THUNDERBIRDS v VIXENS2024-07-31T18:04:28+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
  • Author

Great game!!! T’birds won the last three quarters to retain their title. They held sway for much of the match, before a late surge from the Vixens. Austin with an incredible 7/7 from 2pt territory, but they ran out of time.

Full time: THU 59-57

StatsNerd21
      Participant

Camera can’t seem to stop cutting to Shamera- player of the match?

Trolly
        Participant

Well that was a game worthy of a grand final. Vixens were right in it. So glad they rebounded from the loss 2 weeks ago. Keira was amazing. Mundy and Maloney solid and Keddy also good. Vixens looked exhausted by the end. I would also have liked to see Graham come on.

Agree Tully re the lack of held time. Expect better from 2 experienced umpires. Thought the umpires were very hard on defence from both teams today.

Would have liked a held ball on Romelda when she was really hesitant in the 3rd quarter and took a loooong time to shoot but also thought the vixens may have got away with a held ball or two.

Tbirds fans very passionate (as they should be) but I hate the booing of umpire decisions.

I do like this Tbirds team and happy for Romelda and Sheridan to get another premiership but sad for the Vixens. They fought hard to the end.

Tully
          Participant

Best player on court was Kiera Austin. But yes won’t get it.

Player of the match: Romelda Aiken-George

D-fencr
              Participant

Romelda a very deserved POTM, she was a rock in the circle. From losing to the Tbirds in the GF last year, to winning with them this year.

moooz
                Participant

Just realised the Tbirds did not attempt a single super shot tonight and they still won the premiership.

Stoj
                  Participant

I do not agree with that player of the match choice. I can think of 5 T’Birds who played better than her.

StatsNerd21
                    Participant

I agree Stoj- I’d have Sterling-Humphrey, Petty, Horjus ahead of Romelda. But she did do a brilliant job nullifying the Vixens defenders after the 1st quarter, and maybe the 10 rebounds just looked really compelling on the stats sheet.
                      That makes all 4 finals MVPs shooters…

After being just a bit player in some matches this season, Thunderbirds captain Hannah Petty played a starring role in the most important game of all. She was terrific and might have gone fairly close to the POTM award herself.

Andrew Kennedy
                        Participant

I know the MVP choice wasn’t obvious, and I would’ve given it to Horjus BUT Romelda shot 42/51 (9 misses) and she got 10 rebounds – so she converted at 102%.

Meanwhile Austin shot 21/24 1-pointers which is 88% and 7/7 2-pointers, scoring 35/31 shots = 113%

It would be a bit rough to give MVP to the losing side, but Austin did probably deserve it.

Absolutely no duds in the shooting – Horjus and Garbin both 88% and everyone else better!

D-fencr
                          Participant

Agree, Petty at C was awesome. Very steadying presence when Williams wasn’t quite up to her usual standard.

Romelda saying her yips in the second reminded her of the Firebirds and Swifts GF however many years ago (which the Firebirds won eventually). Funny, I was thinking the same thing when it was happening – and in both instances she pushed through it.

Muffie
                            Participant

Tully I agree with your comments. Vixens defence need more drive, more intercepts, deflections, etc. Romelda may have rebounded but she is the tallest in the goal circle today. On the winning team , I think Horjus or on the losing team Austin. Good game to watch.

TB
                              Participant

I wasn’t expecting RAG to get MVP, I truly thought it was going to go to either Horjus or Austin.
                                But I’m glad it went to RAG. I feel a lot of stuff she does almost goes unnoticed or taken for granted. It’s the smarts from Horjus, the speci-ness from Shamera or the athletiscm from Latanya. RAG was the main reason Swifts made finals last year, and she’s the main reason why Tbirds won today! She deserves this award (even though I was shocked).

Trolly
                                Participant

Romelda was an interesting choice. Tough to pick one of the Tbirds. Several good performances but no real stand out. I thought it may have gone to Petty. She calmed the mid court and played well.

Interesting that Tilly was benched and didn’t return. Bit sad for Lucy as the only player for Tbirds who didn’t get on court. I think bringing on Sherian and moving Georgie to GA worked well. Fresh legs in the mid court for Tbirds when Vixens were visibly tiring. With hind sight I wonder if putting Eddy back to GD in front of Ellis, Moloney back to WD Mundy centre, Walters to WA and Lily at GS might have worked. A bit bibs in the air but possibly a change up was needed.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top