2023 Australian Netball Awards

2023 Australian Netball Awards2023-11-23T08:39:02+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author
      iona
      Participant

Wallam ahead of Fowler and Koenen! I don’t think so.

NB12
        Participant

Fowler actually didn’t have a great year. She was solid of course but some poor decision making in the closing minutes of games cost fever those close games in 2023. That would have meant she wouldn’t have got the points she has in the past.

StatsNerd21
          Participant

Totally agree- in pressure situations she would always try to pass out to Glasgow for a SS, then lose the ball.

Wallam stood out because she was dragging Firebirds over the line in so many games. Still not sure she would’ve been my pick.

NB12
            Participant

Difficult for Koenen in a team that struggled. My next pick would be Cardwell but she also suffered from some patchy form in some games, or poor decision making.

I don’t feel Wallam was the best GS of the competition but I can see how she would have got the votes for this team.

schmeetle
              Participant

The Liz Ellis diamond is a one carat diamond isn’t it? A second one make for a spectacular pair of earrings :rose:

iona
                  Participant

Feeling angry and disappointed. Watching the sports report on Channel 7
                    It was all about the boycott from some athletes. No mention of any of the winners.this from the Perth news where Courtney Bruce should have been acknowledged.
                    I realise it is probably an Eastern Staes based bulletin.

netballgirl
                    Participant

Unfortunately since the Wallam debacle. netball has has no good press. The MSM just like to report the drama and not on the sport itself.
                      All the comments and reactions I see of the laughing emoji makes me sad that the rest of Australia think netball is a crap sport and not worth watching.

What I think needs to happen is NA need to pay a PR firm to fix the sports image. If they can do that then hopefully more sponsors can come on board, that way the players can get a bigger cut. Right now it’s not feasible if the sport is tanking.

Liz Ellis calls out ‘callous disregard’ by Netball Australia after players are forced to attend awards event

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11-27/liz-ellis-calls-out-callous-disregard-of-netball-australia/103157018

TB
                          Participant

Silly question but does Cardwell not qualify for Rookie of the year?

StatsNerd21
                            Participant

I think it would have to be their first year in a major league (NSL/ANZP/SSN), although it doesn’t specify that anywhere.

netballgirl
                              Participant

This may be an unpopular opinion but I think the players asking for a piece of the revenue at this current point in time is wrong and will lead to disaster.

Netball Australia have a 4.2mil debt that needs to be paid off in the next couple of years. Not only did we come off 2 years of covid, netball doesn’t have a sport with a strong financial backing.

Do the players know something we don’t know? They want a share of the overall revenue, but at what cost? Where will the money come from, and what part of the sport will loose funding in the process? Or are they just shooting for the stars and not caring where the money is cut from?

TB
                                Participant

If they don’t ask for it now, then when? It seems NA is always in debt :unsure:

Maybe players are sick of their sport being constantly in debt, and are wondering why?
                                  Completely understandable if the sport was in debt because players were being paid too much. That doesn’t seem the case.

Chelsea Pitman gave a good speel on her insta story. With so many opportunities to play in different codes and make money, why would any young aspiring female athlete want to chose netball, with all this drama going on?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top