2023 SSN ROUND 4

2023 SSN ROUND 42023-04-06T19:15:15+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Simone’s life must flash before her eyes every times she sees Jo winding up for a one-arm pass, haha!

JR
      Participant

Watson and Moloney had more penalties than any other Vixens and Watson had the most GPTs.

Tully
        Participant

Austin was a good choice for MVP. She is the play maker of the Vixens’ attack and Pretorious was not able to have anywhere near her normal impact.

In saying that I would have given it to Eddy. Her introduction changed the game. Won clean ball. Contested. Hands over. Most importantly her cover allowed the Vixens circle to contest and win ball.

Moloney was average at WD. Got her hands to nothing. Better at C but not great. Give Mundy a go at C. Twice Vixens have started Watson at C and it hasn’t worked. Mundy looks flashier but Watson is the stronger WA and Vixens attack is much more seamless and settled with her there. I think Mundy is probably stronger defensively than Watson and does come from a WD background. I doubt McKinnis will have the courage to bench her favourite though in order to try a midcourt of Eddy – Mundy – Watson.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Tully.
          • This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Tully.

Some stats to illustrate the turnaround…

Goals from gains:
            1st half: Lightning 6-2
            2nd half: Vixens 6-1

Penalties:
            1st half: Vixens 33-23
            2nd half: Lightning 41-21

Turnovers:
            1st half: Vixens 11-10
            2nd half: Lightning 10-6

JR
            Participant

Yep agree Tully..

Posted McInnis should play Eddy – Mundy – Watson at 1/2 time.

al_ex
              Participant

I agree that Mundy should be given a run at C with Watson at WA. I feel like Watson gets a bit overwhelmed, feels like she tries to do a bit too much. She’s obviously still a world class C but her attacking prowess goes down compared to when she’s at GA.

Austin deserves MVP, she was so stable especially in the second half.

The Lightning started to get really hesitant and nervous towards the end of the 3rd, it almost felt like they couldn’t believe how well they had been playing and just stopped for a second. They never regained it in the fourth and Wood seemed to really tire, stopped running onto the ball. The Vixens attack were so consistent and the Lightning defence were never really in the match. I’d like to see Black given a go at WD, I’m still not at all convinced by Cassidy there. The Lightning are a bit like the Swifts of old, where they had 4 WA/Cs and had to try and make Fraser a WD. It makes it a lot tougher on the circle defenders.

Participant

It’s funny watching the game late and then reading though the comments after the event. The comments about the vixens defenders having no early gains or impacts are interesting when you see their grinding, dogged approach work by that last quarter. Steph looked tired of Weston’s attention and I’d say that was job well done for Joey. It was similar to how much the diamonds didn’t realise they’d miss Weston until they lost in NZ and had to call up Jo and get her to come back in to win that Aussie leg of the tour. She’s not flashy but she will push and push and the gains will come! You don’t always realise what she’s doing. Even when Steph was having a flashy first half, it was almost like pushing her too hard?

Tully
                  Participant

Oh I didn’t have an issue with what Weston was doing. I agree she is perennially underrated. The work wasn’t being done ahead of the circle in the first half by Watson and Moloney. The circle defenders had limited protection. I wanted Eddy on and she showed why. I have no doubt the ability of the circle to contest came a lot from what Eddy was doing and those long disruptive arms she has. Had Eddy been on at GD then I’d have out Weston at GK. Madi Browne even suggested that in commentary. I remember the hub year they were well down against Fever (maybe by 10) then switched to that circle and came back and drew the game.

Participant

Sorry didn’t mean it to be about you- it was all across socials calling for Weston’s head and I was just like “hang on, she’s wearing her down, let her do her thing”

She did worry me this time with the amount of ball Steph got early on though!!

D-fencr
                        Participant

Another year of me wishing the magpies would play Garbin at GS.

Stower has a really low shot and it’s easy for Mentor and Ward to defend.

1/4 time: Firebirds 18-13

A scrappy first quarter. A lead of 5 for Firebirds but on the balance of play, perhaps it could even be greater. Magpies seem to have brought some of their poor form from Perth back home. They’ll want to can click into gear soon.

1/2 time: Firebirds 33-28

Firebirds go to half time maintaining that 5 goal lead after a 15-15 second quarter. Firebirds defence working well. Remi Kamo is having a great game against Shimona Nelson so far. Already four gains, 2 intercepts and 4 deflections.

D-fencr
                              Participant

Magpies well on top in the third quarter. Feeds to Wallam now being forced when they shouldn’t be. Not sure about the wisdom of swapping Kamo and Bakewell-Doran, Kamo was having a great game at GK.

Magpies have hit the lead in the third quarter. The Collingwood defence is all over the Firebirds, coming up with SIX gains in 10 minutes in this Q.

Magpies 44-39

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 109 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top