2024 Vitality Netball Nations Cup – Eng / Aus / NZ / Uga (Jan)

2024 Vitality Netball Nations Cup – Eng / Aus / NZ / Uga (Jan)2023-11-16T18:49:51+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 212 total)
  • Author

Now Aryang does get on court.

AUSTRALIA WINS THE NATIONS CUP

Full time: AUS 69-49

That was dominant, almost from start to finish. Netball teams don’t play much better than that. The Roses never gave up, but they were no match for the Diamonds who put it all together today.

Sophie Garbin a well deserved POTM, but it could have gone to several Diamonds.

Her shooting partner Sophie Dwyer was spectacular, and Liz Watson showed that she’s a big game player well and truly with 29 assists and just one turnover.

thunder123
            Participant

Why did Heffernan not play for the ferns?

schmeetle
              Participant

Apparently K. Heffernan ruled out with a sore Achilles and Maddy Gordon rested as a precaution after a head knock in training.

Maryann
                Participant

Yes Heffernan in a moonboot which she said is precautionary.

nanator
                  Participant

Catching up on games this morning.

I think Australia is far ahead of all nations. Possibly Jamaica closest to them. Australia have skill and experience and it is their time. However, not sure if they have a contingency plan when the likes of Bruce, Weston, Klau, Watson, Hadley.

England have the goods but something about lack of discipline or playing heir final too early. I think they can go toe to toe with Aus on a good day… but sometimes the attack is lazy particularly Cardwell and Metcalf. Very casual stile of play and they all just appear to be watching the ball.

Nz has a way to go but I think they could be a real threat in the next 2-3 years. I think DNT is the best coach in NZ, but maybe some fresh ideas are needed. I think we are developing and bringing in the next generation and that Will pay off.
                    It’s nice to see some serious competition for that GA bib after Meels – with Amo, Tiana and Georgia all competing. Blooding Amo and Georgia was great this series because it will push all three of them to improve and fight for that spot. Mid court similarly – nice to see Souness and MRB have nice moments, with Souness really showing her experience and flair. Earle and Gordon vying for that other mid court spot. Quite disappointed with defence. Karaka is not upto speed and apart from Stythe (Mystics) , not sure who is raising their hands for opportunities.

I’m not a huge fan of the club combinations. I think they will be entertaining but doesn’t bode well for SF. I’d have liked to see Amo at Mystics, maybe Karin coming back to play with Jury. I think back to how beneficial climb combinations have been for the like likes of McMahon/Cox, Medhurst/Basset, Tuitaia/Van Dyke, Wood/Basset, and now Austin/Garbin. Feel like NNZ should be help nudge players in certain directions to better help the ferns.

Maryann
                    Participant

I’m thinking ANZ is going to be a hard season for Burger with Watson only attending one training a week. I wonder if she knew that before she signed.

Maryann
                      Participant

I think ANZ is going to be a hard year for Burger with Watson limiting her trainings. I wonder if Burger knew before she signed.

Flb
                        Participant

I’m catching up too nanator. When Bruce, Weston, Klau, Watson, Hadley retire/no longer good enough is interesting.

I think at GD RBD and Garrett are probably the future. Aryang may get more court time at GD too. There’s also players like Hinchliffe.
                          In terms of attacking mid court players like Mundy and Williams are options for the future. If they were needed tomorrow you still have Proud and perhaps Rav playing. Although I think Mundy is nearly there.
                          I think the big question mark is at GK, there are players in the pathways, but if we were down 2 GKs tomorrow it is less obvious where the replacement would come from.
                          Having said that I was in the worried about GA camp after Wood’s retirement and I have to say, while they aren’t Steph Wood Austin and Dwyer are doing a great job.

capsule
                          Participant

I think Aus have quietly been very good at replacing important players over the past few years. They seem to go through this cycle of having losses in NZ that raise questions about how they can fill the holes left by players like Bueta, Wood & Brazill before working things out by the time the next series arrives. There’s always good midcourt talent so I’m not worried there, especially with JLP looking like she could dominate for many years to come.

It’s the defensive end that will be more challenging just because of how good the trio of Bruce, Weston & Klau are. Very hard to replace players of that quality & who are so complimentary regardless of planning. A lot will ride on the development of Ervin, Aryang, Hinchliffe and RBD, and whether they can get two genuine GK options from that crop, or if someone else proves themselves in the next few years. Having Ervin and Hinchliffe at SCL with Bruce and Belinda Reynolds is definitely valuable. Also interesting to see what Richo can do with the Mavericks defenders.

I have to say, this series hasn’t convinced me of England’s approach to blooding a lot of newer players during their last two series. It’s all very well and good to give players like Neill, Glasgow and Joseph international experience, but if they don’t get to play much with Housby and Metcalf, England end up in familiar position for an important final. Aus are good at neutralising that pair (Metcalf in particular) and then they don’t seem to have a solid Plan B. And on the defensive side of things, it feels like they have some good talent without much certainty of which combinations are most effective for different situations. I’m not sure what the thinking was starting with Fadoju in WD ahead of Carter, for example, or if they know how to respond when Marinkovich brings Austin on from the bench.

On that note, I’m curious if Australia will move towards starting with Dwyer more often now. I’m not entirely convinced that’s the better choice than Austin in GA, but Dwyer’s performance in the final was very pleasing to see. Also great to see Garbin play with so much confidence and skill throughout the tournament. Interesting that Marinkovich prefers Garbin and Dwyer together when Garbin and Austin will be playing together domestically this year. Also that she likes Koenen as a GA option when Koenen doesn’t get to play there a huge amount in her SSN team.

al_ex
                            Participant

The Diamonds were excellent across the series. Hadley was phenomenal, so impressive to see her keep building her attacking game at this level. Dwyer stepped up big time.

I am concerned that Watson and Austin seem to still struggle playing together in spite of playing week in week out for 3 years now. Austin plays her best netball with Hadley and Watson plays better with Dwyer/Koenen at GA. Maybe an issue of them both trying to do too much. It’s not exactly going to get better with Watson moving to SCL.

I’m not that worried about the Diamonds in the future. The shooting circle is deep and young and even if GK depth is a weak spot, there’s a global shortage of tall GKs. Ervin/TOS are better than the tall backup GKs in NZL/England/Jamaica. Dwyer has improved and we have good GA depth in Batcheldor/Horjus/Dwan/Fawns coming through.

The player I feel most sorry for is Proud, who has just been caught in an amazing generation of midcourters. Australia has always produced such good attacking midcourters. Mundy, Fraser, Williams, Gardner, Miller, Cransberg etc. will all be fighting for Diamonds spots in the future.

WeWood
                              Participant

From a Ferns perspective I always expected it to get worse before it got better, especially without Ekenasio there – for both her on and off court contributions.

There was an earlier mention re Ferns hype about fitness but they are always slow to start or fade late in games. I expect Taurua to remain in her role, but her constant mentions of intensity – whether it be a lack of it at ANZP level or difficulty maintaining it in the Ferns environment is the unlock she’s trying to solve. I wonder if she may look to freshen up her assistant coach/S&C for the next cycle? Bring in new thinking?

If Eke carries on until 2027 our other GA needs to be prepared to share minutes with her as I don’t think she’s a 60 min player anymore. Metuarau and now Heffernan and Malesala have all had a taste, over to them to make their mark in ANZP. Wilson is looking largely redundant if she can’t reinvent herself as a reliable GA a la Thwaites. Also think Noels/whoever takes over has to remember to develop Walmsley too. Yes Nweke is still relatively inexperienced but as NWC showed, if we don’t have that strong back-up option we’re screwed.

The midcourt is a funny one and will persist for a while. Without Crampton (who I noted from a Storm Purvis IG post this week has moved to Sydney with Jamie Hume FYI..) we’re still shuffling through the options. Unsure if MRB is the answer at WA after the last few series. Best I’ve seen Souness play since CWG and think her and Gordon will be better for their ANZP season together. I suspect Earle will go from strength to strength after her Ferns experience and think Kate Heff’s next 1-2 years is firmly at WD.

Defence wise, they’re all talented individuals but gee they’re inconsistent. At their best Burger and Jury are world class but were found wanting during this series. Karaka for her speccy intercepts and beautiful bringing of the ball through court really struggles against the big nations and I think we may have seen the last of Watson in a black dress. Stythe and Burley have it all to play for in ANZP.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 212 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top