Firebirds ‘missed an opportunity’ by benching Jemma Mi Mi in Indigenous Round

Firebirds ‘missed an opportunity’ by benching Jemma Mi Mi in Indigenous Round2020-09-22T09:37:02+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Waylay
      Participant

Pathetic from Firebirds. You cannot use her to sell the Indigenous round to fans and then claim that you didn’t expect these same fans to be so disappointed she didn’t take the court. They need to own their mistake, it’s the only way to gain some form of respect back.

It really just proves that the things Beryl Friday said about the Firebirds are so true.

Netballcrazy1
        Participant

What did Beryl Friday say about the Firebirds?

Sarah0
          Participant

Watch Gordy’s Gasbags interview with Beryl. Worth the listen

montyb
            Participant

I seriously feel like the firebirds were in a catch 22 here. Play Mimi and it would be critiqued as ‘tokenism’ given the stats suggest Dunkley is doing better at WA. If the league is committed to cultural representation in their squads then they need to mandate this through affirmative action. Playing the one and only indigenous player ‘just’ because its indigenous round undermines the purpose.

NZ is far of Aus in this sense – we have a rnage of affirmative action protocols to ensure our med schools, our organisational boards, our parliament etc all better proportionally reflect our communities.

Its simply unfair to make this the firebirds problem if other clubs aren’t under scrutiny for their complete lack of indigenous representation.

sarahlove
              Participant

I agree with you Monty. They couldn’t get this right. Other teams should be looking at their pathways as well.

Netballcrazy1
                Participant

Definitely will Sarah!

Also, I completely agree with montyb, took the words out of my mouth. It is a complicated situation in which there is no right decision necessarily because either way it will be seen as wrong by someone

TB
                  Participant

Are Aussie coaches, just too stubborn, and want to show everyone who’s in charge?

Have a look back at the Charity match, which was Thwaites final game as a Diamond. How she wasn’t put on in the final stages of that game to finish out her last appearance. Pretty sure the crowd were chanting for her to come back on. LA finished the game off with 2 GAs (Phillips/Tippet).

Julie Fitz not wanting to use CBass. Even though stats show they generally win when she’s on court.

And now Jemma MiMi not seeing any court time in the indigenous round – and being the only indigenous player in the league ?‍♂️

Netballcrazy1
                    Participant

Wow, I just listened to Gordys podcast with Beryl Friday. If you don’t have time to listen to the whole thing and just want to see it in the context of our sport, go to the 25 minute mark of this video. Heartbreaking and eye-opening. A very emotional interview, highly suggest it.

Friday also says that some of the uneducated coaches from underage teams are coaching at SSN today.

Beryl Friday interview

Netballcrazy1
                      Participant

Sorry, have to add this now that I’m closer to finishing this interview.

Someone needs to bring more publicity to this interview, especially around the indigenous round of the SSN. Firebirds and NQ really should have addressed some of the things I’m hearing from Friday in this video. Even if this video is a couple of months old this needs more publicity, important issues to raise awareness for.

PICASSO123
                        Participant

Honestly Netball Australia has a long way to go. I mean SSN made headlines over how Charles was mistreated by firebird fans but no awareness was made about Sterling’s racist encounter on a train ride to Melbourne. This example says alot⬆️

AllieC
                          Participant

I don’t think it would have been seen at tokenism to start Mi Mi in this match. It isn’t as if she hasn’t started before or had significant game time this year. She also got player of the match one round so has been a valuable part of the team this year. To not put her on, in a game that effectively meant nothing is ridiculous and so disappointing.

What I’m really concerned about is how all of this publicity is affecting Mi Mi. The last thing we want is for her to walk away from the game because she feels the pressure is too much.

TB
                            Participant

Agree AllieC

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top