2020 SSN ROUND 2 – FIREBIRDS v VIXENS

2020 SSN ROUND 2 – FIREBIRDS v VIXENS2020-08-08T11:16:21+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Vixens 78-Firebirds 50

Vixens 65/77 (13/19)
      Firebirds 45/64 (5/16)

Super shots:
      Thwaites 6/10
      Philip 4/4
      Kumwenda 3/5
      Venter 3/8
      Dwan 2/5

Assists: Watson 22
      Gains: Weston, Mannix, Ellis 4

MVP: Watson

Comprehensive win. Tough season coming for Firebirds

Maryann
      Participant

Sky TV (NZ) is telling us this game isn’t on till tomorrow? Does anyone have any idea if NZ can no longer watch these live?

mcleod
        Participant

It was on TV Maryann, channel 600, I saw bits of it.

JR
          Participant

What’s with the elbow bumping at the end of the game? They’ve been all over each other for 60 minutes and even when they were doing the elbow bumping, some were patting their opponents on the back.

Not a fan of the 2 point shot, even when Vixens execute it well, unlike last week. I wanted to hear more about what defenders do to switch strategies when the 2 point shot comes into play. Would have been good to hear from Jo about it when she was interviewed. Cute story about the dog walking though. Or Laura could have talked about it; not Lizzy who’s drunk the cool-aid.

JR
                Participant

Such a kind tweet…..

Tully
                  Participant

Great to see Honey make her debut. Been a long time coming. A beautiful athlete with wonderful movement and footwork. Was great to see her gain confidence across the match and let the ball go by the end. Also good to see Newton get a solid stint on court. I would like Newton to get a contract over Dehaney next year.

Not sure I would have given MVP to Watson. Philip made a massive difference once she came on court. I would have gone with her. Mannix, Thwaites, Moloney and Weston were also all very good.

Eddy looks fabulous back in the V!

Not much to say about the firebirds. What a disaster. Simpson is playing well and plays her heart out. Jenner and Hinchliffe don’t seem to be doing as much damage as last year. Will be interesting to see if Firebirds can retain Ellis or of she returns to Melbourne when a spot becomes available.

Bluebird
                    Participant

That was so dull. The messing about with shooters for the last 5 minutes doesn’t work. Expecting a player that’s had little court time to come on an immediately sink those pressure 2 point shots is just daft. Simpson at GD was just the dumbest decision. The only positive thing about the match was the Kits. Easier to see the players, unlike the Giants Thunderbirds match.

Jinxibo
                      Participant

“That was so dull” ditto!

Simpson at GD :negative:
                        Hinchliffe is in my FN team, i’m glad i left her on the bench (NNP 3.5) However, getting less than 10 mins on the court and being selected behind Simpson won’t do much for her confidence.

Andrew Kennedy
                              Participant

The elbow bumping does seem dumb given how closely they play, but I think it’s just about being good role models and continuing good habits for reducing contact in social greetings.

There are three main defensive tactics for the super shot sections. (1) use absolutely everyone to stop that shooter getting into the circle eg the C and WD and GD all stopping someone like Wood or Phillip getting down the court (2) double team the strike shooter (3) double jump over the super shot to force a held ball or a miss; the player that jumps first should be the better rebounder, so she can scamper back towards the post

Notice that we haven’t regularly seen (yet) the strike shooter (such as Wood or Phillip) put at GS for the super shot. Yes we do see Thwaites and Harten there but they do spend much of their time there anyway. This is one reason why Vixens have an edge – all three shooters are pretty capable of super shots so they don’t need to change from their normal lineup.

Aiken could certainly be taken off in the super shot section, not only doesn’t she shoot from range, she is causing so many turnovers that nothing could be too much worse for Firebirds at the moment. Put Venter on for a really nice long stretch of time and work her into the lineup.

Andrew Kennedy
                                Participant

I was also going to comment about Honey. Well done to her! She did slot in fine – and in 30 mins of play she didn’t give away possession at all. However, she really wasn’t a force in the feeding department – only 3 goal assists is not good enough for a wing attack. Best of luck to her improving and getting a lot more court time!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top