2024 SSN ROUND 2

2024 SSN ROUND 22024-04-18T23:44:47+10:00
Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Author

Of course, as soon as I mention it, the long run of successful super shots ended for Housby.

Mavericks’ effort can’t be faulted. They won the 3rd quarter, but Swifts still have a very handy lead of 12, up 48-36.

Andrew Kennedy
      Participant

Thinking about Lewis, she’s got one intercept and no deflections or rebounds, she’s just gotta commit to something to cause some havoc, even if sometimes it looks a bit embarrassing.

Oh look she just did that and it worked.

Watching Sinclair’s leads in contrast to Housby, Sinclair is easily lost and at times pulls out and yet still thinks she’s an option. Housby is strategic in how she cuts into the space.

Full time: Swifts 67-56

A comfortable win for Swifts. But also encouraging signs for Mavericks. At one stage, Swifts led by 17, but Mavs never gave up, they won the 3rd and 4th Qs and narrowed the gap. Helen Housby and POTM Paige Hadley stood out for Swifts.

k4tm4c
          Participant

Thanks another insightful and engaging commentary @Andrew

Maryann
            Participant
              CharlesWB
              Participant

The Firebirds show a lot of promise, but they really need to take some damned 2 point shots. They only attempted 5 supershots all game?

If you only manage an 8 goal lead leading into supershot time and your opponents have excellent long range shooters, you are going to lose more often than not if for each 2 point goal they shoot, you only attempt “normal” goals.

What is even more puzzling to me is that this year the Firebirds themselves have two excellent long range shooters, both of whom were on court all game.

benmac4
                Participant

If you have an 8 goal lead and consistently convert your centre passes the losing team would need to convert every centre pass 8 times in five minutes and have every shot be super shots.

The firebirds going for one point shots puts the pressure on the giants especially as the time went down

The risk of shooting a supershot and missing and giants scoring off that centre pass is not worth it a 8 goal lead is more than manageable to maintain if you have a donnell wallam to consistently score the 1s

CharlesWB
                  Participant

True enough.

As a Firebirds supporter I hope the strategy works for them. As a Firebirds supporter I have watched the strategy of shooting one pointers whilst their opposition shoots two pointers fail them ever since the inception of the 2 point shot.

Regarding that Firebirds super shot thing. They very nearly won against Tbirds thanks to super shots, but if Wallam had just tried to get close for a one pointer at the end instead of going for the super shot, they would have taken the game to extra time and who knows, maybe won it. Then on the weekend, admittedly it was a bit scary but their tactic worked. If you’re not going to go for super shots, you have to capitalise on any turnovers you get and make sure you score two goals which is the same as scoring a super shot anyway. And that’s what they did.

TB
                        Participant

Mavericks really need to bring Jok in. They need an experienced/dominant shooter to take some slack off Cardwell. The defenders smothered her, and it’s causing her to try and do too much.

Nankivell I would start at WA. I’m not a huge fan of hers, but I find Jovic and Fraser always running over each other. I would have them share the C position.

I feel like the defenders are doing the best they can. And that’s all you ask of them.

Flb
                          Participant

It is interesting. The super shot is generally spoken about as creating close contests and keeping teams in the game. I think we’re also seeing it go the other way a bit more in truly putting teams away with big score lines and what would feel on court like insurmountable margins. Fever as a case in point, and even in the Swifts v Mavericks game the latter had a good fightback before the power 5 in the first quarter and then the scoreline blew out so swiftly (excuse the pun).

I know many people say that, but it’s not proven by facts. Fever and Swifts both scored fewer super shots than their opponents (Lightning & Mavericks). Fever’s big win was just because they were way better than Lightning on the day. Super shots made no difference to that. In fact, super shots helped keep Lightning close in the first Q.

Flb
                              Participant

Thanks Ian, I stand corrected about Fever 🙂

I think in the Swifts match how how quickly that SS period blew out in the first quarter was quite decisive.

Why isn’t Jok making the game day 10?

Viewing 14 posts - 76 through 89 (of 89 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              Go to Top