2024 SSN ROUND 1

2024 SSN ROUND 12024-04-11T22:41:50+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Participant

What an entertaining (albeit messy) game! To me, Horjus looked more comfortable in GA than WA.

Kamo had a great last quarter with some impressive tips and intercepts. However no defence can compare to Wilson and Sterling-Humphrey, it’s hard enough when one is on fire but they’ve both been massive.

For the previous game, I thought Anstiss was brilliant in her first game as captain- standing up against (and delivering) hard knocks, just being a very calm presence.

Also wanted to mention that Erin O’Brien got the first rejection of the season (I believe).

Morts
      Participant

Can’t see Hannah Petty getting much court time, interesting considering she’s the captain. Tbirds looking good, but will need more Supershots if they want to challenge for the premiership again. Good comeback from the Firebirds!

Tully
        Participant

Very impressive by Firebirds. They have a great starting midcourt with Veve, Rav and Gardner. Dwan had a brilliant game and Kamo was outstanding. Not sure about their depth outside their top 7 but they are going to do a lot better than expected.

TBirds. Well they have major issues in attack. Scherian and Aiken-George are weak links. Lucy Austin delivered under pressure last year then can barely get on. Obst needs to back in Williams and Austin. Defensively they were very good and Sterling-Humphrey was a very well deserved MVP. Very unconvincing.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Tully.

Full time: Tbirds 63-62

Thunderbirds just hang on and win a heart stopper!

Donnell Wallam had a chance to win the game but her super shot attempt missed. Should she have tried to get closer for a regular 1 point goal to send it to extra time?

TB
              Participant

Tbirds strongest lineup is with Horjus at GA. When you see the likes of Scherian sitting on the bench, you start to scratch your head.

Frew went well in her first game, but if Horjus hadn’t been moved to GA late in the game, Firebirds definitely would have won.

D-fencr
                  Participant

I am glad the Tbirds pulled through as I do think they were the better side for most of the match. But that forward line is going to take some time to figure out. It’s a blessing and a curse to have multiple good options in every position. Also not sure I agree that I liked Horjus more at GA, but Frew clearly needed a break (but honestly it was her first game so understandable).

TB
                    Participant

Horjus needs to start at GA, not put in there with 6mins left. Scherian is too strong a player to be starting on the bench. We’ve seen it in many of their preseason games, there strongest attacking line is RAG Horjus and Scherian. But it needs to start that way, because they need to build as a combination too. Use Frew and Austin as impact players. Williams and Petty to share C and back up WD.

This is not exactly like for like… Mundy is out today and Barkmeyer comes in.

netballgirl
                        Participant

So Em gets contracted to be the 11th player but they bring in Barkmyer. Is this poor girl ever going to get a shot?

D-fencr
                          Participant

It makes sense, I believe Tully has said previously that Barkmeyer has trained at WA. As Vixens don’t have any middies as TPs there isn’t any other options. I wouldn’t see this as a slight against Andrew at all.

Not so confident on a Vixens win with Mundy and Weston out!

RWM
                            Participant

Horjus won’t be starting GA anytime soon with Obst seeing her future at WA. Not saying I agree but that’s what Obst has said. My main concern from pre season was the 2 point game and that proved an issue last night. A 2/9 SS differential won’t win too many close games. Horjus and Austin have the best range so they need to find a way to get Austin involved if they won’t move Horjus to GA. I thought Frew was quite effective last night but from what I’ve seen in state league and ANC I’m not sure how consistent she’ll be from SS range.

Williams, imo, is the best C Tbirds have had since NVB retired by quite a margin – a calm, smart and efficient mover much like NVB was. The defensive structures work better with her in C and her feeding of RAG has been the most consistent. I’ve always had less confidence in Petty and her 2 turnovers in 5 minutes show why.

netballgirl
                              Participant

I think we’ll see the tbirds play Horjus and Austin play more minutes together, tonight was about establishing the Frew and Aiken. It looks like they are trying to develop that combo as much as possible in the earlier rounds. Georgie is a proven GA, and the fact that she was put in GA in the last quarter shows they know she’s the best GA for the side.

Scherian needs to play WA over C, she’s much better at it. William’s needs to play a full game but I understand why the limited minutes as she’s coming off a knee injury. Petty needs to stay on the bench, what was that?

netballmum
                                Participant

John Cain is quite busy – 60:40 Vixens supporters at first glance.
                                  Mundy out evens the odds a bit, but good to see Barkmeyer (finally) get a chance. Hopefully gets on court sometime too!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 96 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top