2022 ANZP ROUND 8

2022 ANZP ROUND 82022-04-27T08:07:31+10:00
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 149 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Theres a stuff article titled Covid tests Steels resolve. Mentions that the Saturday game would have only had two fully fit players with the rest in isolation or on return to play, and that they did not have enough cover from other levels.

Regarding Ferns selection…

Kwkiwi
          Participant

I noticed the NZ TAB has closed down betting on NZ netball games. Must be because of the uncertainty of the league with the covid disruptions. NZ Netball are going to need a government bailout. They must be incurring big losses on lack of crowds this year.

Maryann
            Participant

@Kwkiwi – I can understand the TAB logic. Even for the tipping comp on here (like this weekends Steel game being moved back three days) I take more than past results into consideration 🙂

Baller
              Participant

Listening to the podcast; SF experience (know the processes), fitness targets met and there has been plenty that has being going on behind the scenes.

Squad of up to 27.

Nesian
                Participant

It seems weird to me that they considered lessening the fitness standards but decided not to. When you consider that Covid affects the lungs more than any other organ in the body I find it silly to expect these athletes to be a the same fitness levels prior to contracting Covid. We still don’t know the long term effects of Covid but it is obvious that it is taking it’s toll on some players.

Saunders and Poi are two of the fittest netballers in the country and they have said how difficult it has been for them. I’d hate to think they are taking on potential long term risks to their health just to meet a fitness standard.

Waylay
                  Participant

Was interesting listen to Noels speak on Inside Netball.

Adine posed the question of whether experienced Ferns who are underperforming in ANZ will still be picked hoping they will perform at international level. I guess this is probably aimed at players such as Maia Wilson. Noels response suggests to me that these players who have performed in recent internationals will still be picked. Noels backs the SF processes to bring out the best in them – to me this sounds like Wilson’s ticket to CWG is already booked.

Also very interesting comments regarding Ekenasio. Although Noels joked that they considered bending the fitness levels for her, she was very clear that Ekenasio needs to run the Yoyo requirement or else she doesn’t go. The way she spoke of her suggests she is a fair way off yet but they will do everything they can to get her there.

She mentioned a spine of 4 players who they have been building their team around the past few years and this spine will be in the CWG team. I imagine these 4 are Wilson, Crampton, Burger and Jury

RMB
                    Participant

Omg really? Makes sense… I don’t actually like gambling but last year was gonna put $ on the tactix to win in the finals it was paying so high cos they weren’t favourites

RMB
                      Participant

That was Anna Stanley (rowberry) not Adine, I get them fixed up too similar netball era

Waylay
                        Participant

Oh whoops I always get them mixed up!

Nesian
                          Participant

@Waylay I would agree more with the panelists who chose Nweke as one of the four.I don’t think Wilson has her ticket booked just yet. But definitely Burger, Jury and Saunders.

Maryann
                            Participant

My take on what Noels said is that there are a ‘number’ of Ferns not making the fitness standards at the moment which I assume is due to having had Covid this year and while they will do the best to get them there she is prepared to ‘park’ them for CG. Ekenasio is a different case.
                              When you listen to Saunders who had it while in MIQ (February) speaking around week 3/4 of the season and saying she was about 70%, when you hear Fitzpatrick (MIQ February) speak about continuing to have to use her inhalers you realise it could be any of them struggling with the standards.
                              What we see on court at ANZ is one thing, what the players are like when they come off and the next day as they recover may tell another story as to whether or not they could play at the same level the next day.
                              CG is hard on the body and mind and the standards set by Noels and team are the ones that players need to reach to be able to take part. So she may need to look further into the squad with her final selections. From her interview she is looking at players with a lot of experience – the likes of Kopua, Langman,Folau in the three areas of court to provide leadership, the ones who know they have to keep grinding it out.
                              The travelling team may well be quite different to what we expect.

WeWood
                              Participant

Interesting listen.

A squad of up to 27 is a bit overkill isn’t it? Considering there are 60 players (6x rosters of 10 contracted players).

Reference to players playing out pool games before match versus England. Gathered that was a mention about Nweke.

Glad Aliyah Dunn got a mention. Encouraging she’s in the convo.

Spine.. definitely Burger and Jury for mine. Crampton? Surely your captain should be, but is she? I don’t see her getting dropped. And I’m leaning toward Nweke as well.

Netballfan1
                                Participant

I personally never 100% understood the appointment of crampton as SF captain. There seems from the outside to be other strong leaders on the court, and ones who are currently (and to be honest in 2021) playing with much better consistency

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 149 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Go to Top